• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What I Pray for, for SA Rugby in 2012

dan-the-man

Academy Player
2011 was not a great year for South African rugby. Our domestic teams were dramatically inferior in Super Rugby and the Boks looked out of sorts in both the Tri-Nations and the World Cup. South African rugby clearly has fundamental errors and a grassroots effort to completely revamp the current structure is desperately needed.

First and foremost, enough of this whole "Ek is groot en Afrikaans! (I am big and Afrikaans!) I can run through a brick wall because I'm so big and Afrikaans! Let me pick the ball from the ruck and run straight at the defense because I'm so big and Afrikaans!" thing. Seriously, this is absolutely butchering the very foundation of South African competitiveness on the international stage! Oh please dear God can this primitive mentality stop! Clever back-line rugby IS the way forward!

Second, coaches need to start picking on form and not reputation. Spies, Habana, Pietersen and a few others don't deserve to be in the Bok set-up, nevermind the starting VX. In fact, now that van den Heever is heading for the Cape, I'm not so sure Habs even deserves to be in the Stormers' starting XV either. Actually, allow me to correct that, Habana DEFINITELY does not deserve to be in the Stormers' starting XV. When someone has a long poor streak, drop them and give a youngster a chance. I'm sick and tired of this whole "experience is key" crap. I'm not dismissing experience completely, but you can't keep a total liability in the team just because of a few more caps to their credit. Form selections are vital.

Third, a positive gameplay attitude. Returning a kick with another kick is not a positive attitude. If your opponents miss touch or up-and-under to you, RUN IT BACK! The only kicks you should be doing in todays game is under pressure by your own try-line, or to attempt a nice territory gain. Kicking aimlessly and hoisting up-and-unders/box-kicks has been pivotal in South African rugby's poor results.

When playing with the backs, pass-and-run-dead-straight won't get you anywhere, unless you're against the Rebels defence (sorry Rebels fans). Get the clever back-line moves going, watch the Reds or the Crusaders 2011 tapes. Take note from the Genia/Cooper partnership.

The Boks need to pick a coach that will adhere to all the above. IMO, the best thing that could happen for the Boks is if John Mitchell gets selected as coach, but we all know this won't be the case. If Alistair Coetzee gets the job, which he most likely will, it will just show how the men in charge don't give a **** about the quality of South African rugby. And ignorant South Africans will continue to financially support these fat cats by flocking to the stadiums, buying Springbok merchandise and spending hours glued to the television watching the games, even though the people in charge couldn't give a damn about you or the quality of rugby in this country. I sincerely hope that they prove me wrong.

I'm almost never completely up to date with the news in South Africa, but surely with all the losses of their 'experienced' core South Africa are due a re-shuffle soon?

I would love to see a running style of rugby from RSA (they certainly have the backs to play one) but they seem to have shot themselves in the foot by consistently picking their 10 by kicking percentages and not by how well they can organize a back line. Just my two cents.

I'm almost never completely up to date with the news in South Africa, but surely with all the losses of their 'experienced' core South Africa are due a re-shuffle soon?

I would love to see a running style of rugby from RSA (they certainly have the backs to play one) but they seem to have shot themselves in the foot by consistently picking their 10 by kicking percentages and not by how well they can organize a back line. Just my two cents.

Spot on

Dan, you know your credibility on this site is already very dodgy, and now to go and make borderline racist remarks, won't help your cause either.

That being said, as I have stated in another thread, a lot is going to change this year for SA teams, either for the good or bad, but nonetheless, we will learn out of our mistakes.

picking a fly half on kicking percentage instead of getting his backline away has been an issue in South African Rugby, but throughout the years, the better choice has always been made. We wouldn't have had 2 World Cup trophies in our names if it wasn't for good kickers, while Percy did the kicking in 2007, but Butch James was our fly half... then we did pick a running fly half.

as much as i feel a change coming, it would be better to hear the views from some more respectable members on their views of South Africa, because just like Icemn, you Dan, NEVER have anything good to say about SA Rugby or us Afrikaans folk. you always ***** and moan about SA rugby, and we never see you moan or critisize any other rugby nation. your Biased view is worse than Julius Malema!

P.S. this rant is not just based on this thread, but most of Dan-the-man's posts on this forum which in it's entirety always are a negative view of SA rugby

Dan, while I have some issues with the way you express yourself at times, I too hope we adopt a more expansive approach but don't move totally away from our traditional strengths; rather select more complete players and play a more faceted gameplan (the decision makers in the backline should take greater responsibility). We have the players. We had the players in recent years. It's just that Pdivvy and co (Smit, Matfield etc) kept a lid on our development the last 2 and a half years.

So here's hoping for someone with some vision to take the reigns and for the players to buy into it. It's not just a question of running but more of distribution. We don't develop our skills enough and it is particularly evident when we spread the ball to the right on attack; we can't pass as effectively right as left and tend to rather take the ball up instead as a result.

Anyway, I have faith we will add some depth and skill to our game. We just have to.

Dan, while I have some issues with the way you express yourself at times, I too hope we adopt a more expansive approach but don't move totally away from our traditional strengths; rather select more complete players and play a more faceted gameplan (the decision makers in the backline should take greater responsibility). We have the players. We had the players in recent years. It's just that Pdivvy and co (Smit, Matfield etc) kept a lid on our development the last 2 and a half years.

So here's hoping for someone with some vision to take the reigns and for the players to buy into it. It's not just a question of running but more of distribution. We don't develop our skills enough and it is particularly evident when we spread the ball to the right on attack; we can't pass as effectively right as left and tend to rather take the ball up instead as a result.

Anyway, I have faith we will add some depth and skill to our game. We just have to.

Smit and Pdivvy of course, but how has Matfield kept a lid on development, unlike Smit he was still a phenomenal player until retirement

I agree with you Stormer2010, if you have the best lineout in the world and a back row which is as tough as nails, why not use their strengths?

In reflection, South Africa should have been just below New Zealand the best side in the world for the last two years, but have underachieved in my opinion due to Pdivvy's poor coaching, gameplan and selections. It must be so frustrating for Springbok fans to have seen great players like Matfield and du Preez's final matches ruined by a coach who couldn't see the most obvious things, along with John Smit

Jake White hardly played running rugby when he was in charge, but at least Bryan Habana and JP Pietersen got to touch the ball back then

The sheer depth of talent both currently on tap and the players soon to breakthrough for South Africa has been one of the scary things over the past 4 years. I think (I hope I'm wrong) it's Australia's time to shine over the next couple of years. They've got alot of things already in place. But I hope the changes in the SA Coaching setup will bring about a more stable springboks. The AB's showed this year that running rugby (especially for those that espouse it) is not exactly winning rugby. It has its place, it really does. And teams good enough to play that style and win deserve the praise.

South Africa has always had the players - it's just whether or not they've had the right coaching/strategies. And watching Du Plessis "riding the pine" (even for a Samoa & NZ supporter) has been painful. A south african friend of mine said that the race and the political issues are so inherent that it may be generational and the best of South African rugby may not be for some years. I can't comment on that part but if they've done it with the issues that they've had and won 2 world cups, the future isn't all that bad.

I always think that there is a missed opportunity for South Africa Rugby League recruitment or just picking it up as a sport, because for the most part it can be as brutal as some of the toughest Springbok players. Or it can be as beautiful in running rugby terms as anything in 7's.

I always think that there is a missed opportunity for South Africa Rugby League recruitment or just picking it up as a sport, because for the most part it can be as brutal as some of the toughest Springbok players. Or it can be as beautiful in running rugby terms as anything in 7's.

This is where you non-Saffas are missing the point. South Africa loves tradition, every race in SA has traditions and believe me we stick by it through thick and thin.

One tradition is our rugby, and with that I mean Rugby Union. from age 6 onwards the boys are being nurtured in a rugby union environment and that will forever be the case.

SA has played some running rugby in the past, and we may again do that in future. but our focus is not in what brand of rugby we're playing, or how we play rugby... But rather winning games and getting trophies. We are such sore losers, we hate losing, we would rather go shopping with the girls than watch highlights of our team(s) losing.

let's face it, technique will only get you so far, then you will have to rely on pace, strength, size, or your boot... Stop Worrying about our guys and their mentality, blah blah blah... that will be fixed in time, at some stage our guys will no longer just run over the opponent, but rather take the gap between them or around them or whatever you want our boys to do to you guys because you idiots actually want to see SA outsmart, or just plain thrash your team...

Our Future always looks bright and this year will be no different. We can't be worse off than we were in the Springbok coaching dept, so there alone will be a much bigger difference in our team.

We lost Fourie Du Preez, but got Francois Hougaard...
We lost John Smit, but got Bismarck Du Plessis...
We lost Victor Matfield, but got Andries Bekker...

our pool will never stop getting talent in. I for one can't understand all these talks that SA are now in a spot of bother, and will be in big trouble during the super 15, 4nations etc...

HOW???? please explain that to me

This is where you non-Saffas are missing the point. South Africa loves tradition, every race in SA has traditions and believe me we stick by it through thick and thin.

One tradition is our rugby, and with that I mean Rugby Union. from age 6 onwards the boys are being nurtured in a rugby union environment and that will forever be the case.

SA has played some running rugby in the past, and we may again do that in future. but our focus is not in what brand of rugby we're playing, or how we play rugby... But rather winning games and getting trophies. We are such sore losers, we hate losing, we would rather go shopping with the girls than watch highlights of our team(s) losing.

let's face it, technique will only get you so far, then you will have to rely on pace, strength, size, or your boot... Stop Worrying about our guys and their mentality, blah blah blah... that will be fixed in time, at some stage our guys will no longer just run over the opponent, but rather take the gap between them or around them or whatever you want our boys to do to you guys because you idiots actually want to see SA outsmart, or just plain thrash your team...

Our Future always looks bright and this year will be no different. We can't be worse off than we were in the Springbok coaching dept, so there alone will be a much bigger difference in our team.

our pool will never stop getting talent in. I for one can't understand all these talks that SA are now in a spot of bother, and will be in big trouble during the super 15, 4nations etc...

Is this talk coming from within South Africa or from overseas? I can't say I've heard anyone talking down the Boks at all - to me they look like they will be more dangerous this year than last year.....

I've re-read my post...unless we're speaking a different language - I've got no idea what you're talking about.

The sheer depth of talent both currently on tap and the players soon to breakthrough for South Africa has been one of the scary things over the past 4 years. I think (I hope I'm wrong) it's Australia's time to shine over the next couple of years. They've got alot of things already in place. But I hope the changes in the SA Coaching setup will bring about a more stable springboks. The AB's showed this year that running rugby (especially for those that espouse it) is not exactly winning rugby. It has its place, it really does. And teams good enough to play that style and win deserve the praise.

South Africa has always had the players - it's just whether or not they've had the right coaching/strategies. And watching Du Plessis "riding the pine" (even for a Samoa & NZ supporter) has been painful. A south african friend of mine said that the race and the political issues are so inherent that it may be generational and the best of South African rugby may not be for some years. I can't comment on that part but if they've done it with the issues that they've had and won 2 world cups, the future isn't all that bad.

I've re-read my post...unless we're speaking a different language - I've got no idea what you're talking about.

My reply wasn't aimed at your entire post. I quoted you on a certain part of your post, and only used that as a basis to express my views.

Smit and Pdivvy of course, but how has Matfield kept a lid on development, unlike Smit he was still a phenomenal player until retirement

I agree with you Stormer2010, if you have the best lineout in the world and a back row which is as tough as nails, why not use their strengths?

In reflection, South Africa should have been just below New Zealand the best side in the world for the last two years, but have underachieved in my opinion due to Pdivvy's poor coaching, gameplan and selections. It must be so frustrating for Springbok fans to have seen great players like Matfield and du Preez's final matches ruined by a coach who couldn't see the most obvious things, along with John Smit

Jake White hardly played running rugby when he was in charge, but at least Bryan Habana and JP Pietersen got to touch the ball back then

Phenominal line-out lock up until retirement, yes (though a tad patchy these last 2 years). But one gets the idea that he had as much say, (and add FdP to that list) if not more than Smit and PdV, WRT gameplan and that was our tactical weakness. PdV I blame mostly for not making tough choices RE selections and not standing up to the senior players in the squad.

Last edited:
[h=1]Bulls confirm Meyer offered Bok post[/h]25 Jan 2012
In announcing their disappointment with the loss of Heyneke Meyer the Bulls have confirmed him as next in line to coach the Springboks.
Saru met with Bulls officials on Tuesday to inform them that Meyer had been offered the position of Bok coach. While Meyer is currently contracted to the Bulls for the next four years, he's set to leave his director of rugby position and take the top job at the Boks for at least two years.
The Bulls released a statement on Wednesday morning expressing their disappointment, as Meyer has been an integral part of the Bulls' success in the last decade. The official announcement of the new Bok coach will only be made on Friday, but with the Bulls already talking up the remaining leaders at the Pretoria franchise, it's clear Meyer has got the job.
While the Bulls are not happy to lose such an important figure, they won't stand in the way of Meyer's dream to coach the Boks.
'Should Meyer decide to accept the position of national coach, he needs to inform the Blue Bulls Board of his decision to abdicate his responsibilities and commitments to the Blue Bulls,' the statement read.
'Although the Blue Bulls Board would be disappointed with such a decision by Meyer, the board has faith in the coaching structures under the leadership of Frans Ludeke in taking the Bulls into the future.'
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saru has subsequently released a statement saying the decision will only be ratified by the Executive Council on Friday.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source : www.keo.co.za[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If true, hope he pulls Rassie Erasmus in, then we will have for the first time since Jake White, have a proper Bok management team that WILL NOT be guided by senior players and their motives - the reason for our demise and weak coach PdV[/FONT]

2011 was not a great year for South African rugby. Our domestic teams were dramatically inferior in Super Rugby and the Boks looked out of sorts in both the Tri-Nations and the World Cup. South African rugby clearly has fundamental errors and a grassroots effort to completely revamp the current structure is desperately needed.

First and foremost, enough of this whole "Ek is groot en Afrikaans! (I am big and Afrikaans!) I can run through a brick wall because I'm so big and Afrikaans! Let me pick the ball from the ruck and run straight at the defense because I'm so big and Afrikaans!" thing. Seriously, this is absolutely butchering the very foundation of South African competitiveness on the international stage! Oh please dear God can this primitive mentality stop! Clever back-line rugby IS the way forward!

Second, coaches need to start picking on form and not reputation. Spies, Habana, Pietersen and a few others don't deserve to be in the Bok set-up, nevermind the starting VX. In fact, now that van den Heever is heading for the Cape, I'm not so sure Habs even deserves to be in the Stormers' starting XV either. Actually, allow me to correct that, Habana DEFINITELY does not deserve to be in the Stormers' starting XV. When someone has a long poor streak, drop them and give a youngster a chance. I'm sick and tired of this whole "experience is key" crap. I'm not dismissing experience completely, but you can't keep a total liability in the team just because of a few more caps to their credit. Form selections are vital.

Third, a positive gameplay attitude. Returning a kick with another kick is not a positive attitude. If your opponents miss touch or up-and-under to you, RUN IT BACK! The only kicks you should be doing in todays game is under pressure by your own try-line, or to attempt a nice territory gain. Kicking aimlessly and hoisting up-and-unders/box-kicks has been pivotal in South African rugby's poor results.

When playing with the backs, pass-and-run-dead-straight won't get you anywhere, unless you're against the Rebels defence (sorry Rebels fans). Get the clever back-line moves going, watch the Reds or the Crusaders 2011 tapes. Take note from the Genia/Cooper partnership.

The Boks need to pick a coach that will adhere to all the above. IMO, the best thing that could happen for the Boks is if John Mitchell gets selected as coach, but we all know this won't be the case. If Alistair Coetzee gets the job, which he most likely will, it will just show how the men in charge don't give a **** about the quality of South African rugby. And ignorant South Africans will continue to financially support these fat cats by flocking to the stadiums, buying Springbok merchandise and spending hours glued to the television watching the games, even though the people in charge couldn't give a damn about you or the quality of rugby in this country. I sincerely hope that they prove me wrong.

I am new to this site and am not sure what goes and what not, but one thing is for sure Dan, you are definately not the man. You have some serious issues boet.

that's a bad thing?

wtf dude? are u luke watson?

Agree with you there. Was not a great year but beating NZ 18 - 5 just before the WC with scrambling defense showed what can be done with 15 committed players. We got knocked out by 2 points in the WC in a match that could have gone either way with a aging squad. Obviously Snors tactics which was probably decided by the 10 advisors as he knows f all about it was off and they should have adapted. If he had a clue what was going on he would have. But you know the only thing keeping our rugby down is politics.

No. It is called a slowball tactic and the pick and drive is a way of restarting a attack to setup quicker ball.

Like who?

Australia play like they do and have that style because they need to entertain as they are fighting with two other sports over support. That is how they develop and they play towards their strengths. We need to play towards our strengths as well. That is not running rugby. We need to do what we always do dominate upfront and starve the opposition of position choking them into mistakes.

Then Australia's pivot is 9 NZ is 10. Something we do not have as we rely on team performances and the individual brilliance now and then to create chances and to score that try now and again. Last pivot was Fourie but the real one at 10 was Lem. Gaffie was a failure so was most of the rest.

But if we look what has won us 2 WC's it was ability to shut down space and the opposition and not let them play the way they want to play

Last edited:
I'm no expert on bok rugby

but I think SA I think have huge potential to be a great team again under a new coaching setup and Picking on form and youth with some obvious experience mixed in.

But I do see problems at super level. Lions and Cheetahs are constantly in the lower half/third of the super rugby table and the bulls in particular and stormers seem to attract all the player talent.

For SA to be at their best I think they need all their super teams to be strong winning environments.

I'm no expert on bok rugby

but I think SA I think have huge potential to be a great team again under a new coaching setup and Picking on form and youth with some obvious experience mixed in.

But I do see problems at super level. Lions and Cheetahs are constantly in the lower half/third of the super rugby table and the bulls in particular and stormers seem to attract all the player talent.

For SA to be at their best I think they need all their super teams to be strong winning environments.
It's mathematically impossible for all the teams to be strong winning environments. In any competition, you have to have some bad teams. I think the problem is that the bad teams remain the bad teams one year to the next.