What if Aus leave Super rugby?

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by mania, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

So it’s similar over there, I’m one of the bigger rugby fans amongst the people I know and I find find it a bit exhausting some times, someone asks you who you support and you have to ask “in what comp?”...and then explain why there are so many comps, that my experience trying to talk to people in Aus anyway

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

I grew up in a small town and traveling to go watch the Sharks was a BIG deal for me. In the beginning I was stunned how many people would arrive late to the game and then spend most of the time talking, getting beers and generally not watching. Only then did it hit home the amount of people that go for the occasion and not the sport.

How can you call yourself a fan if you don't know the weight and height for most of the players?!

4. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

This bit worries me the most about the future of rugby in SA... It's completely out of the Unions hands, and instead is in the hands of a grossly incompetent and corrupt government.

How/when/if that part gets better is the big question.

5. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

The ANC have been in power since 1994 and you have won 3 world cups in that time. SA rugby always seems to find a way to get through the difficult times ( for example 2000 to 2005 and (2015-17)

• Like Like x 2
  6. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

I wouldn't say it's completely out of the Union's hands. I'm actually going to start a thread about the movement of players during this lockdown period for the SA teams as part of an illustration.

The other thing is, the general SA public, and here I don't mean just white/black/coloured people, but most people in general are starting to see the flaws in our government, and there is a real essence of calling them out, and trying to make it better. Yes, we are a bit behind because of the Zuma-era and most of his guys are still present in power, but there are signs of more transparency and cohesiveness. I do think things will improve, maybe not in a year or so.

It's a pity that this pandemic happened now. All that goodwill we got from the World Cup win, is all but lost now and a distant memory.

7. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

Sounds like RSA has issues that make ours look pretty trivial, I do wish you all luck

Your last comment is very interesting, ive seen quite a bit of comment in NZ about how a silver lining to the COVID situation is forcing rugby in NZ to take a good luck at themselves and the model theyre running.

Its being widely reported four of the ITM cups teams are saying they more than likely cant field a team in this years comp with two more on the fence, that would be half our unions in financial strife, from a comp the 15 years ago was considered one of the best in the word. shows how flimsy the current model is

Lots of talk of having to go back to semi pro, day jobs and trying in the evenings, could be a real sea change

8. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

9. unrated

unrated First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

It would not only make more financial sense for South Africa to move to European leagues (if they want us) but it would also make sense from a financial point of view as well as a sporting point of view as our teams can be playing against other teams from England, France, Ireland or Wales that might have South Africans in their teams, this to a large degree would negate much of the negative effects of our players lured away to the pound and Euro as now South African coaches would just have a much larger pool to choose from as our teams would always field home gown players for the luxury of Springbok coaches and then they can nitpick the best players from the other teams.

But.... while not financially, Super rugby has been a fun product and it has ensured between NZ, SA and Aus that we hold every world cup title ever played except the one from 2003. I have always said that once South Africa starts doing poorly on an International level and cant compete then we look for change. But all our SH national teams has remained relatively successful so really if we continue with Super rugby then we are continuing with a winning product.

SA playing NZ att all levels is what is keeping the level up. From a provinical perspective the teams are forced to maintain a certain level and when one team has a breakthrough golden era then the rest of the teams need to step up quickly. This translates into World Cup success. The stats backs this up.

10. unrated

unrated First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

Maybe one thing we should do is a two tier Super Rugby
    Tier one 12 teams
    Tier two 12 teams

With promotion/ relegation

This will spice things up nicely

11. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Bench Player

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

12. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

True, I guess it was more those on the panel like cheika agreed

13. Shimano

Shimano Academy Player

... or, dont let the door hit you in the back on your way out!

• Like Like x 1
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!
-->