• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What position should earn the most money?

Fair enough he wasn't at his best, but Jenkins was constantly getting yellowed last year so he was hardly helping Jones out. Against England we held the welsh pretty well until James came on, Jones was still on against Marler, then he started getting the best of Marler because the otherside wasn't capitulating.

Think constantly yellow carded is for me a little extreme. He did get carded a few times but it takes more than a loosehead to help the tighthead out.

A world class wing can add a lot more than a tight head. A tight head is likely to get you field position or possession if they are constantly winning scrums but that isn't very useful in itself. There's no point in constantly winning penalties if you don't have a goal kicker or don't have a lineout which can win your own ball. A winger, on the other hand, can often score tries out of nothing or else can set up tries for other players. They can be game breakers and often enable otherwise worse teams to win with a moment of brilliance.

I'm not saying a winger is definitely more important than a tight head but in some cases they can be.

While that's true, I reckon a TH or outhalf is more vital to a side. You simply cannot survive at the top of the game without strong guys in these positions, whereas you can get by pretty well without top class wingers (Ireland won the six nations this year without much going on out wide, but they were very solid at 3 and 10, for example.)

Third most important i tricky. I'd make the case that a good scrum half is important if you want any good go forward ball, but you also need someone to get you clean ball on the ground, and so on. At that point it really depends on how you want to play.

3 yellows in 6 tests is pretty extreme. And i know that the locks play a huge part in what happens at scrum time but it doesn't help when your loosehead is constantly going down. The reason i say that is i was a tighthead and we had a couple of looseheads and certain ones completely changed scrum time, some times we dominated then the other guy came on( no one else had changed) and he just collapsed every scrum. It would cost us games, and that is why i think looseheads are 2/3rd most important with Fly half

3 yellows in 6 tests is pretty extreme. And i know that the locks play a huge part in what happens at scrum time but it doesn't help when your loosehead is constantly going down. The reason i say that is i was a tighthead and we had a couple of looseheads and certain ones completely changed scrum time, some times we dominated then the other guy came on( no one else had changed) and he just collapsed every scrum. It would cost us games, and that is why i think looseheads are 2/3rd most important with Fly half

Recall one those yellows as being soft and that on another day wouldn't have been given. It's actually 2 in 6 he got carded in too, so the stat is a little different % wise. I play front row too :)

Last edited:
Jenkins is amongst Wales most penalized players. His inability to adapt to the new laws has contributed to this, likewise Adam. Combined with Gatland's inability to manage players, this had led to the scrum becoming a weakness at times (v England, for example).

awwwwww, that's just not niiiice....and I meant phonetically, ya Cheapah !!! Thought it was understood if you could only pick up on the infinitely subtle semi-Gallic humor I manifest, but apparently gotta spell it all out for you ! Don't you run away from the TREWFF, you ain't can't do it no way maynn, trewff gon find ya !!

Lock is in my least important half of a XV...can survive with two average locks, easy..

May change my name to Cheapah and be done with it then.

May change my name to Cheapah and be done with it then.

Patchey's a cool username man, but isn't it just 'peachy' to make all things much more ridiculous than they already are ? In a way I've beaten all of you on this forum, because I've got the username that is the most pathetic in its initial form. Hard to make it any worse. Actually now that I think about it, maybe not "most pathetic" in the entire forum....

And glad you agree lock clearly couldn't be number 3, to stay on uhm...on topic.

Patchey's a cool username man, but isn't it just 'peachy' to make all things much more ridiculous than they already are ? In a way I've beaten all of you on this forum, because I've got the username that is the most pathetic in its initial form. Hard to make it any worse. Actually now that I think about it, maybe not "most pathetic" in the entire forum....

And glad you agree lock clearly couldn't be number 3, to stay on uhm...on topic.

Locks aren't there for show but have a gander at the locking combinations of RWC winning teams. I'd argue lock is the one position where all teams winning had the best player in any given position at the time.

what ?? oh..ok. That was hard to read...

LOL, I expressed myself poorly. I just think people in this thread are underestimating the role of a good lock and scrum half. They aren't the 'executors' but if you have poor men there your more visible players are going to find doing their thing very difficult.

IE I'd argue the teams taking RWc's are the teams with good locks and established 9/10 combo's much more so than the team with the best TH props and opensides.

LOL, I expressed myself poorly. I just think people in this thread are underestimating the role of a good lock and scrum half. They aren't the 'executors' but if you have poor men there your more visible players are going to find doing their thing very difficult.

wait, wh...why would having men with little money play SH or lock make your other players have a hard task ?! This is discrimination...and it's horrible, and I won't stand for it. *yawn*

Well yes of course the SH is vitally important, that I agree. By the way, France are likely to pick Kockott after all for the November tests...

And of course all positions are important, nobody's there just to fill up the XV or to decorate, but I feel locks aren't as important amongst the forward pack as, say, your OS flanker, at least nowadays. Provided he's big enough and has the "standard" dimensions for a 2nd rower: 1m95, 115kg; helps out the pack with rucks, a bit of carrying but little, maybe lineout catches, some tackling....etc....I think you're okay if the rest of your xv is more sound.

wait, wh...why would having men with little money play SH or lock make your other players have a hard task ?! This is discrimination...and it's horrible, and I won't stand for it. *yawn*

Well yes of course the SH is vitally important, that I agree. By the way, France are likely to pick Kockott after all for the November tests...

And of course all positions are important, nobody's there just to fill up the XV or to decorate, but I feel locks aren't as important amongst the forward pack as, say, your OS flanker, at least nowadays. Provided he's big enough and has the "standard" dimensions for a 2nd rower: 1m95, 115kg; helps out the pack with rucks, a bit of carrying but little, maybe lineout catches, some tackling....etc....I think you're okay if the rest of your xv is more sound.

But I feel they are.

Brilliant thread.

Personally I'd go for, what Wayne Shelford described to me as the spine of the team, rubbishly these aren't in order of "importance"
So:

I'm not suggesting this a pay structure, more that if these positions fail to do their jobs. you have no ball.

2 being important and not 1 and 3 can't really see that my friend, no scrum no win its not no hooker no win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bad hooker will kill you at lineout time though, and while you wont be leaking penalties in the same way you would if you're scrum is misfiring you certainly wont be seeing very much of the ball.

2 being important and not 1 and 3 can't really see that my friend, no scrum no win its not no hooker no win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In fairness in the six nations we had the lesser props compared to you, but when Tom Youngs came on for Hartley he missed his man on your 5M line and it probably cost us the game. I agree with you that you need a scrum too win but a great hooker adds so much to a team, nearly as much as a great tighthead. Look at the difference in Kayser to Mach.

If you want to win an International you need great players all over the place what i was trying to say is i find it difficuly to bring the hooker to the forefront without his props, they are a unit, yes i agree with the throwing at touch but you could also say if the jumpers do not time well, then who fault is it certainly not the hookers or even the lifters it was just a statement, no more no less.

Latest posts