• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What to do in this situation?

Jacko828

Academy Player
I'll try and keep it brief but I've played Rugby League since I was a kid (I'm 19 now) and have only really played a couple of games of Union. Over the last couple of years though I've really struggled with injuries, one serious one and multiple minor/****ley one's that have stopped me progressing basically. I'm currently injury free but I'm far from fit - I've gone through a break up fairly recently as well and it did knock me a bit. I want to get back to playing Rugby League and my goal is to progress in that sport.The issue is that the League season is over half way through now, I'm not fit enough to play in the league i've played in before, the 2nd team have 3 games left so that's isnt worth it, I don't really want to join another team at a lower level half through a season only to go somewhere else in December (and I'd probably only go into the 2's there because why would I walk straight into any first team?). Not sure what you all think but that seems cheeky to me. I could wait till next season but I feel like I need to be playing and training so I can get back into the swing of things.

However, my Dad was speaking to his mate who coaches the 1st team at a local Rugby Union club and he suggested I go down there, play a season (the season is out side of a Rugby League season), get used to playing with a rugby ball every week again and head back to Rugby League for the start of next season. I believe the club is level 7 in England - what sort of standard is that like? It's a local league so I'm guessing the quality will be lower than I was playing RL at? Is that a bad thing given my situation? It might ease me back into it. There's a Rugby League winter team that play at the end of the year buts 1 hour 20 mins away so not sure that's an option.

A lot of questions I know but what would you guys recommend I do? Think the Union pre season starts in 3 weeks ago and the season starts in August/September time.

Last edited:
Game time is always best for fitness. Risk looking bad and go to a lower league for the rest of the year. Get some fitness up and come back stronger at the level you want to be at next year

GOOD LUCK!!!

Living up north I would say 60% of the players at my local used one or the other to stay/get fit for the other.

Personally I would suggest If you are 100% serious about playing for the 1st team next season.
Playing or at least Training with the 2nd team for the last 3 games. Coaches notice that sort of thing and it will go some way to showing your commitment to the club even just training and being an extra opponent for the team to train against helps.
Then go into Rugby Union pre-season not completely ****** fitness wise.

The fact your dad is friends with the coach is a massive plus as he will know your main game is league and it clearly doesn't bother him.

But as I said a lot of people in my neck of the woods just do both, well the ones who are younger than 30 do at least.

In terms of skill-set league 7 is a good level.
Nat league 2 is League 5, you also get semi pro level players at League 6.

Last edited:
I'd probably use the next 3 weeks to prepare for the Union pre season. If you aren't fully fit and have history with injuries, focus on getting your body right. If there are only 3 games to go I don't really see the point in rushing it only to not have another game for months a couple of weeks later. If there were 10 games left it would be different. At least with the Union pre season you'll have time to get your fitness up and get your body right, get used to doing the drills again etc. Union might be easier on your body as well.

Level 7 is a decent first team level and will probably the highest division in that local area. Level 6 will cover a wider area and Level 5 -3 are National League's which are semi proffesional.

Latest posts