• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What we can learn from FIFA 10

LeicesterTigerFan007

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Its my first post on here, so I thought i'd share with you lot what ideas i had for the game, and what we can learn from the FIFA games

Manager Mode

The manager mode in FIFA was really good, with great features like staff upgrades, contract extensions, club managment, teams and player stats, player growth, team morale, board confidence, team objectives, manager reputation, team budgets etc etc. The only difference that I would make for rugby is that players would honour thier contracts (unless they had low morale, perhaps) and the fees would be more realistic. The time-line would be around the same, maybe longer for more game-play

Realism

What really sets FIFA apart from all the rugby games is how realistic it is. What this rugby game needs is that amount of detail. I was devastated with the lack of detail in the french teams in the last game. It's important that this game gets the licencing of these teams so players can feel more in touch with the game. The french teams would bring an immense amount of colour to the game. Also the detail with rugby balls, tournament sponsors, team kits, stadium detail and crowd detail will need to improve in order to make the game experience more worthwhile

Create a player

Create a player in past versions of the rugby games were good, but an extra amount of detail would really make it popular. Why not have more detailed boots in the game from nike, adidas etc etc. also have the thermals the players wear in real life like under armour and skins.

Other game modes

I know it may only be restricted to some positions, but imange you were controlling Jonny Wilkinson during a test match, or controlling an up and coming player and playing his way up to a world class rugby player. A similar Be-a-Pro mode in Rugby 2012 would be awesome and would add another dimension to the game-play.

Competitions

I felt let down by the lack of competitions in Rugby 08, while FIFA 10 has pretty much every competition in the footballing world! Include competitions like the EDF cup, European Challenge cup, ITM cup, Japaenese League, Russian League, Super 10 (Itailian league), Magners league, Currie Cup, The IRB Sevens Circuit, Churchill Cup, Nations Cup, etc etc

Thats all for now, please feel free to add your own ideas and suggestions that will help the developers bring us an awesome game (if you are a developer for this game, please read this!! :D)

Nice, i think they need to add the right stick in for the defence too, give the game the impact.

You could also added the right stick in for the rucks also, so if be a pro was made you could be forwards.

Eg right stick down you bridge the ruck. or go for the turnover from the tackle
right stick forward you drive into the ruck and blow out
right stick left and right you blow out a player to the side

Be a pro could be feature for ***les after this current one has been released. I imagine that H.B. will prioritise in just making a 15 a side rugby game that will sell, even though this feature would help boost sales, H.B. are working in a short time scale and from what I gather a limited budget. But I for one would love to this mode but realistically can't see it happening.

I agree that as many leagues as humanly possible needs put into the game, right from the World Cup down to the Welsh Premiership. I feel that the more leagues are attached to the game the more successful it will be. Could you imagine the Top 14 and the Pro D2 both being in the game! Tens of thousands of French rugby fans would go out and buy the game. It's the same in Wales and New Zealand; most folk follow their local team over their regional team. In Wales I live just down the road from Pontypridd and most of their fans would never go see the Cardiff Blues, while in New Zealand most people only care about the Southland Stags and couldn't care less about the Highlanders. It is here that I feel that the game will be judged as a success or not. I have complete faith that H.B. will make a great game in sense of game play, but for the general rugby public outside of this forum it will be on is my team in the game.

As many leagues as possible should be obtained for the game. Most licences outside of the big competitions should be easily obtained. These would be my basic,

World Cup (20 teams)
Tri Nations
6 Nations
Pacific Nations Cup
Lions Tour
Barbarians
European Nations Cup Division One maybe Division Two (12)
And other playing nations such as Singapore and so on

English Premier ship and English Championship
French Top 14 and Pro D2
Magners League and the Welsh Premier ship, All Ireland League and the Scottish Premier Ship
Italian Super 10
Heinekin Cup and Amlin Cup
Pacific Rugby Cup
British and Irish Cup

Japan Top League
Russian Professional League
Spanish and Portuguese División de Honor de Rugby
Romanian Rugby Championship (Not very important)

Super 15
Currie Cup
ITM Cup
Australian Championship

United States and Canadian Super Leagues

Then just a section for teams with no leagues but who could be ones to look out for, such as Heideberg of Germany or the Southern Spears of South Africa.

Any other leagues or am I going over the top? Or just talking balls?

I highly doubt they will be able to involve all or even majority of the leagues, i mean, lets face it, Soccer/Football is the biggest sport in the world, and when a sport attracts so much people, they have the numbers to sell the games. Rugby on the other hand doesn't. NZ, SA and AUS would be the major countries to buy this game. What im trying to say is,.. they can spend huge amounts of money to make a game like fifa 10 because they will make a whole lot more of that money back with sales. Rugby is different, i dont even know if they'll make the same amount of money back that it took to make the game.
Adding all these tournaments means getting licensing, that means a higher cost of money

Yeah this list is a total wish list of the leagues I would love to see in the game, unfortunately I agree we won't be seeing many. However, if we were to even get half of these leagues it would a great testament to the commitment and work ethic of H.B. studios to a new rugby franchise. Two reasons I would love to see so many leagues, 1) It would be great fun, I for one love learning and watching rugby in the likes of Germany, Russia or Japan, to be able to play as the teams would be amazing. 2) I still feel that this game should be used for the development of rugby with in areas such as Russia and Japan. It will soon be a world cup year and we, in the rugby world, will feel a big interest and a surge in popularity for the game. Rugby 2012, I feel, is one of the many avenues that will help and sustain growth for rugby. Alot of kids won't have access straight away to a rugby club so the game may be able to help.
I'm not sure about the whole sales and profit lines that H.B. will be working with I do know that this game will sell very very well in the U.K. and France. I would hazard a guess and say that the U.K. will probably be one of the largest if not the biggest market for the game.

Looking at the statistics of the location of active players on the online game RugbyMania, France and Italy lead the way with the number of active players, followed by the UK.

Italy has not been mentioned, but the game is growing there and is a potential market.

I would also agree that seeing even half of this list on the game would be immense. The main thing I'm interested in, and I'm sure fans of the previous rugby games should be too, is the new gameplay. On the next gen consoles there is so much more that the game can be! :D so hopefully they can make a game that opens up a new franchise of awesome realistic rugby games. I think that it is good that they will be releasing the game around the time of the world cup as this will be a time of peak interest in rugby as it has been in the past.

Tbh, they could leave the manager mode out, just a solid rugby game is all I ask for, get the basics right first then everything else will come easier later!

I love FIFA 10...I really like that you can tackle a bit harder without worrying so much about a foul and the goalkeeper is quite aggressive. It's much harder to score in comparison to earlier versions of FIFA...

Its my first post on here, so I thought i'd share with you lot what ideas i had for the game, and what we can learn from the FIFA games

Manager Mode

The manager mode in FIFA was really good, with great features like staff upgrades, contract extensions, club managment, teams and player stats, player growth, team morale, board confidence, team objectives, manager reputation, team budgets etc etc. The only difference that I would make for rugby is that players would honour thier contracts (unless they had low morale, perhaps) and the fees would be more realistic. The time-line would be around the same, maybe longer for more game-play

Realism

What really sets FIFA apart from all the rugby games is how realistic it is. What this rugby game needs is that amount of detail. I was devastated with the lack of detail in the french teams in the last game. It's important that this game gets the licencing of these teams so players can feel more in touch with the game. The french teams would bring an immense amount of colour to the game. Also the detail with rugby balls, tournament sponsors, team kits, stadium detail and crowd detail will need to improve in order to make the game experience more worthwhile

Create a player

Create a player in past versions of the rugby games were good, but an extra amount of detail would really make it popular. Why not have more detailed boots in the game from nike, adidas etc etc. also have the thermals the players wear in real life like under armour and skins.

Other game modes

I know it may only be restricted to some positions, but imange you were controlling Jonny Wilkinson during a test match, or controlling an up and coming player and playing his way up to a world class rugby player. A similar Be-a-Pro mode in Rugby 2012 would be awesome and would add another dimension to the game-play.

Competitions

I felt let down by the lack of competitions in Rugby 08, while FIFA 10 has pretty much every competition in the footballing world! Include competitions like the EDF cup, European Challenge cup, ITM cup, Japaenese League, Russian League, Super 10 (Itailian league), Magners league, Currie Cup, The IRB Sevens Circuit, Churchill Cup, Nations Cup, etc etc

Thats all for now, please feel free to add your own ideas and suggestions that will help the developers bring us an awesome game (if you are a developer for this game, please read this!! :D)

wormwoodathletics your on G&GR aren't you

hopefully with the amount of time they have had to work on this game HB may be able to incorporate most of the features that the fans have suggested

I think trying to compare with FIFA 10 will lead to disappointment. This is a game that has had continuous development over a hell of a lot of years and has a budget that would be vastly superior to Rugby 2012's budget.

What most of us would be happy with is realistic, glitch free gameplay, coupled with a solid/lag free online component. If I could take anything from FIFA 10 (and other EA games) within reason it would be online leagues. A fantastic way for people to easily run an online comp.

Add to that some realistic offline comps. Just the structure needs to be realistic, not the names. Just include an edit facility for us.

The best thing about Fifa 10 is that it has very realistic and smooth gameplay (no major glitches) looks amazing (both during gameplay and in the menus) If the next generation of Rugby games looks this good and has no major glitches i'd be pretty happy.

Rugby League Live is an example of trying to cram too much into the first appearance on next generation consoles. And it can't really be taken seriously cause it doesn't look much better than PS2 or original XBOX and all the players have the same build!!! The game looks and feels cheap. Now i'm aware that HB Studios don't have a budget that even comes close to what they had for Fifa 10 but it is so important that this game looks very polished. If the game looks great and has heaps of Leagues from around the world it will sell pretty well. And could lead to another Rugby release (sooner than 4 years)

The best thing about Fifa 10 is that it has very realistic and smooth gameplay (no major glitches) looks amazing (both during gameplay and in the menus) If the next generation of Rugby games looks this good and has no major glitches i'd be pretty happy.

Rugby League Live is an example of trying to cram too much into the first appearance on next generation consoles. And it can't really be taken seriously cause it doesn't look much better than PS2 or original XBOX and all the players have the same build!!! The game looks and feels cheap. Now i'm aware that HB Studios don't have a budget that even comes close to what they had for Fifa 10 but it is so important that this game looks very polished. If the game looks great and has heaps of Leagues from around the world it will sell pretty well. And could lead to another Rugby release (sooner than 4 years)

So RLL live tried to do too much for a first ***le on this gen, but you want 2012, a first ***le on this gen, to do even more to even try and be close to a game which has been built over several installments?

No, i just think that this game needs to be smooth, and have no major glitches... I'm well aware that Fife is in a league of it's own and always will be simply because of cashflow. I'm gonna buy this game and probably love it regardless of how good/bad it is. but the game needs to appeal to more than just rugby fans, otherwise it wont sell well and if it doesn't sell well we wont see another one for 4 years... Things like "be-a-pro", "classic matches" and "legends mode" although they would be very kool, they can wait until later releases.

Latest posts