• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wheeling the scrum

• Thread starter selhurstwunderkid
  • Start date
S

selhurstwunderkid

Hello, im new to rugby since 2003 when we won the cup. You cant call me a glory hunter, we are rubbish now!! anyway i have a question i hope someone can answer for me. In the scrum why is it a good thing to wheel the scrum? i thought it was illegal to do, and i though the object of the scrum was to push foward not to the side. I hope someone can help me because i sit scatching my head when i see it being done.
Many thanks
Jack :huh:

Writing here as a certified referee...
There are many circumstances we have to talk about here, wheeling is the word used for front rows actually pulling the scrum so that it will rotate... that is illegal..

the other one that is legal and you WANT to do is to push it so that it rotates more than 90 degrees so that the scrum will be restarted and the opposing team puts in...

both of the above will be to the referee's discretion...

In age grade rugby however, scrum may not rotate more than 45 degrees and if it does, the scrum will be re-started and the same team puts in... also the scrum may not move more than 1.5 metres.. ish.. :p

hope this helps..

Ok thanks for that. Can i just clear up with you a situation that might arise in a game. My team has a scrum put in, but during the scrum the scrum is wheeled 90 degrees, do the other team get the put in or do we?

After hearing the refs point of veiw, i felt it only fair to give my own, esteemed opinion, from the front row.
The object of wheeling a scrum one way or the other from an attacking point of veiw is to nulify the oppositions back row defence against a move from the base of the scrum or down the scrumhalf chanel.
For instance, if you have a back row move called where say, your No8 picks up and goes right, then you need the scrum to wheel to the right first as this effectively inhibits the oppositions blinside and No 8 from making the tackle as they are blocked by the wheeled scrum.
Rugby is a great game.

so, in conclusion:
  • wheeling is effective as opposition
  • wheeling is effective as defense
  • forwards are great :D :D :D

Well St. Day 3, I may be a ref.. but you need to know that I'm an international blindside/hooker/prop as well and fully understand what you're saying man! that definitely works.. When I am refereeing however, i will shout "USE IT!" when the scrum is rotated 90deg and if ur scrummy/backrow didnt do anything, well I'll blow it and restart the scrum with OPPOSITION PUT IN...

Well St. Day 3, I may be a ref.. but you need to know that I'm an international blindside/hooker/prop as well and fully understand what you're saying man! that definitely works.. When I am refereeing however, i will shout "USE IT!" when the scrum is rotated 90deg and if ur scrummy/backrow didnt do anything, well I'll blow it and restart the scrum with OPPOSITION PUT IN...
[/b]

question:
international prop:
vickery02.jpg

International blindside
williams.jpg

can u de/inflate urself? :p

I play Blindside at senior international level, but propped in my recent u-19 internationals... so.. I think i'm more of a Super Mobile Prop... :p I've played most of my rugby in the back row however...

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

question:
international prop:
vickery02.jpg

International blindside
williams.jpg

[/b][/quote]
Shane Williams isn't a flanker

williams.jpg

He actually looks like a hobbit in that one.
I can see where people are coming from now.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

question:
international prop:
vickery02.jpg

International blindside
williams.jpg

[/b][/quote]
Shane Williams isn't a flanker
[/b][/quote]

aaaaaaa :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
I thought he meant a blindside wing :wall:
sorry *goes to his naughty-chair for 5 minutes* :wah:

THat's Shane Williams?! that's why he's so small... :p sorry for not noticing it.. but yes, I play blindside flanker....

Latest posts