• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

which Australian Superside will/should get dropped?

mania

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Samoa
i cant believe how toothless the ARU are in refusing to make a decision about this.
does anyone have inside knowledge of which team gets the chop?

i cant believe how toothless the ARU are in refusing to make a decision about this.
does anyone have inside knowledge of which team gets the chop?

I'd speculate they'd have wanted the Force to bomb to make their decision easier. But the Force had the joint most wins in Oz, their side is filled with some local talent and their crowds are bigger than a couple of other teams. So they will be scrambling for a logical argument.

A few Aussies have been signing up for Europe and Japan. The longer this delay, the more players will be lost to other leagues. Again, completely undermining the supposed purpose of cutting an Oz side to make them more competitive.

Force has a better grassroots than nsw . They're doing it right developing players

None. Negotiate a different outcome because cutting a team is not going to improve Aussie rugby one bit.

Even with 4 teams, it will be business as usually for the kiwi teams against us next year.

Should be the Rebels imo and ultimately I think it will be, though no doubt the ARU would rather get rid of the Force...
Brumbies makes sense geographically. As long as its called the Melbourne brubies and brumbies run the franchise

None. Negotiate a different outcome because cutting a team is not going to improve Aussie rugby one bit.

Even with 4 teams, it will be business as usually for the kiwi teams against us next year.

With all due respect, this attitude won't make the situation better.

South Africa was that stubborn, and we even wanted an extra team in, and we got our wish. All that it did was to dilute the talent pool, make our teams look average (mostly), and not be as competitive as we could be...

Why do the same when it has already been proven to fail miserably?

With all due respect, this attitude won't make the situation better.

South Africa was that stubborn, and we even wanted an extra team in, and we got our wish. All that it did was to dilute the talent pool, make our teams look average (mostly), and not be as competitive as we could be...

Why do the same when it has already been proven to fail miserably?

South Africa also agreed to cut back to 15 teams and then negotiated to move 2 of theirs to Pro12. Fair play to SARU, they had a shrewd plan and executed it well. so your talent pool will still be diluted, just across 2 competitions.

Unfortunately, the mentally challenged at the ARU took it hook line and sinker and we're now in a position where we are a huge country geographically and we are forced to lose 1/5 of our rugby footprint. there's about 800km distance between main cities in Aus and that means we have a vast area with no pro rugby, effectively waving the white flag. There is more at stake than just a super rugby team and I think that's what people don't understand, they simply say "the rebels suck, get rid of them"

We've had 5 teams since 2011 and in that time we've won 2 ***les. in that time we've had 2 or 3 competitive teams, it's only the last year or 2 that things have changed.

South Africa also agreed to cut back to 15 teams and then negotiated to move 2 of theirs to Pro12. Fair play to SARU, they had a shrewd plan and executed it well. so your talent pool will still be diluted, just across 2 competitions.

Unfortunately, the mentally challenged at the ARU took it hook line and sinker and we're now in a position where we are a huge country geographically and we are forced to lose 1/5 of our rugby footprint. there's about 800km distance between main cities in Aus and that means we have a vast area with no pro rugby, effectively waving the white flag. There is more at stake than just a super rugby team and I think that's what people don't understand, they simply say "the rebels suck, get rid of them"

We've had 5 teams since 2011 and in that time we've won 2 ***les. in that time we've had 2 or 3 competitive teams, it's only the last year or 2 that things have changed.

Okay, the thing is SARU was pro-active into making a plan to accomodate the franchises that were cut, AFTER the decision was made to make it 15 teams. They involved all the shareholders in the decision making process, and there was an amicable solution. This plan, might not dilute our pool as much as suspected, as now we have the chance to keep more of our better talent locally, while still playing NH rugby.

As for Australia, they have no choice. They are now 5, they have to become 4. Next year it's not the Super 16, or the Super 15 and the Rebels or whatever. The decision has been made, and the longer they drag this out, the worse it's going to get.

I think ARU should use the exact same model SARU used to make a decision on which team to cut. Look at the past few seasons, look at stadium attendance, performance and if the team staying in the competition will be a profitable and competitive one. Then eliminate the team that scores the least on all formats. In my view the only teams that are relatively safe are the Waratahs and the Reds. The Brumbies have been the better team this season and last season, yes, but prior to that, they have also been mid table dwellers after the Gregan/Larkham era.

I don't think the Rebels should be cut, but then again, I also don't think the Force should be cut. The Force, due to their geographical location, plays a vital role to all the teams in the comp. As they are being used to make the travelling part of the tournament, a little less draining. Since their introduction, all teams used their visit to Perth, as a stop over for their tour either to SA or to NZ. Making the jetlag a little less draining. Now with the Sunwolves also playing in Singapore, teams will have 2 stopovers, which could be a massive help in keeping the players in good condition.

The ARU could do something similar as the SARU and send the cut Australian team to play in the Japanese league?

,aru needs to sort out its domestic structure s and by that I mean its grass roots at age grade level

i dont see how having 5 teams is helping aus rugby. to me the whole demise has been caused by rebels
i also sick of watching crap aus teams that i dont want it multiplied by 5. i can barely tolerate 4 aus teams.

Has there been any talk of a 6th NZ side? Surely that might help make things a bit more fair if their talent's more distributed as well.

Has there been any talk of a 6th NZ side? Surely that might help make things a bit more fair if their talent's more distributed as well.

It's a non-issue. We expanded, and it didn't work, now we're reverting back to the previous model with less teams.

We shouldn't talk about expansion anymore...

The problem with that is that geographically there isn't much room left in NZ... all the main centers have a team. It would have to be based out of Taranaki, which is a far from ideal base for a Super Rugby team... IMO a 6th NZ side is a very bad idea and realistically I don't think it'll ever happen.

What the comp needs is simply for the non-NZ sides to get stronger again, which I believe they will... it just so happens that SA and especially Aus rugby are going through slumps right now, while simultaneously NZ rugby is as good as it's ever been, which obviously results in the lop-sided comp we see today. Things will change though, they always do...... this NZ dominance won't last forever. What we need is to just be patient and accept the current situation for what it is, as it will change over time.

At least that's my opinion.

Lowering the quality of super rugby isn't a good ploy. This wouldn't address aru's issues.
Aus needs to get better.
5 teams has ruined aus rugby.
Drop a team and use that money to grow a grassroots.
Get administration from nrl cos they know what they're doing

The Rebels have to go, they are woeful.
VFL remains the only winter sport worth talking about in Melbourne.
Just cut Melbourne out of the news and never mention Melbourne ever again.
Not just in rugby but in everything... ;-)
It works in Sydney.

Latest posts