• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which is the biggest rivalry of each national team?

Agree. I think most people in New Zealand regard South Afirca as our biggest rivals - based purely on this history of the game. The 1981 Springbok Tour was probably the most divisive issue in New Zealand's history! For me though - it wasn't until 2009 when South Africa white washed us that I really started to consider them our biggest rivals. Being born in 1992 - I saw Australia as our biggest rivals because of their continued success against the All Blacks and I think many young rugby fan saw it the same.

I know the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal were boycotted by a pile of African countries when the Canadian organizers and the IOC refused to ban New Zealand in retaliation for touring South Africa.

Than there was that renegade tour several players made "the Cavaliers" I think?, though I think the NZRU was a little out of line for banning players who went on that renegade tour when they got back without threatening to do that before they left.

I know the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal were boycotted by a pile of African countries when the Canadian organizers and the IOC refused to ban New Zealand in retaliation for touring South Africa.

Than there was that renegade tour several players made "the Cavaliers" I think?, though I think the NZRU was a little out of line for banning players who went on that renegade tour when they got back without threatening to do that before they left.

Yep, they demanded NZ be excluded because of the tour, and when the IOC didn't support it - they boycotted.

Yeah the Cavaliers tour was something like 28 of the All Blacks 30 squad that were meant to tour South Africa. It was only a two test ban.

France is a major rival of the Pumas too, is the team that has played more times against Argentina and in the last 10 years the Pumas have a positive record against Les Blues.

France is a major rival of the Pumas too, is the team that has played more times against Argentina and in the last 10 years the Pumas have a positive record against Les Blues.

Lots of Pumas playing in France as well lots of bad blood probably already exists between players. Is their much of a rivalry with Uruguay?

Lots of Pumas playing in France as well lots of bad blood probably already exists between players. Is their much of a rivalry with Uruguay?
With Uruguay is just a rivalry of neighboring. Los Teros have never beaten Los Pumas in 40 games played.
Against France we played 46 games, of wich we won 12.

Last edited:
Thats an overwhleming record, I would have figured perhaps one or two surprise Uruguay wins or draws in there. I was also wondering though at a lower level eg. the Jaguars, local clubs etc. rugby aside I'm assuming in Assocation football things are quite fierce though since Uruguay are perhaps the best in the world per capita and Argentina are a class side as well.

Thats an overwhleming record, I would have figured perhaps one or two surprise Uruguay wins or draws in there. I was also wondering though at a lower level eg. the Jaguars, local clubs etc. rugby aside I'm assuming in Assocation football things are quite fierce though since Uruguay are perhaps the best in the world per capita and Argentina are a class side as well.
In football the situation is very different, the classic between Argentina and Uruguay is the oldest after the Scotland vs England.
These are games that are played with "a knife between the teeth" are real pitched battles.
Argentina won 85 times and Uruguay 55, but they beat us in the final of the first World Cup in 1930.

Last edited:
Unquestionably, it doesn't make any difference what the sport is. Rugby, Hockey, chess, synchronized swimming, womens soccer, freestyle skiing or whatever put a Maple leaf on one and star and stripes on the other and get ready to ruble. There is something inbred into the Canadian psyche that elevates any athlete, who defeats an american, into a national hero. They are closest neighbor, our best friend and most loyal ally but also our bitterest enemy in any sporting event.

It's hard to stay mad at a country that produced this absolutely amazing tribute to Canada before the 2010 Winter Olympics, manly tears are being held back guys.....

Last edited by a moderator:

The replacements for the banned players were called the "Baby Blacks" and went on to win the 1987 World Cup which I think renewed a lot of interest in rugby in New Zealand. The bannings were perhaps a blessing in disguise.

The replacements for the banned players were called the "Baby Blacks" and went on to win the 1987 World Cup which I think renewed a lot of interest in rugby in New Zealand. The bannings were perhaps a blessing in disguise.

I think it was Smartcooky who posted this amazing doc on the subject some time back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah maybe - consider though that lots of kids (including me) were forced by their parents to play bloody soccer in the early 80s instead of rugby, because of that situation. It sucked a fat kumera.

Certainly is a good healer. But so long as the North is held as a part of Great Britain there will be some sections of society that will always hold that grudge.

I personally couldn't give a **** about it but I still like giving the Sassanach a good hiding.

I hate those ******* Romans.

I thought Ireland-France-England had a funny thing going for a while. We'd always beat England, who'd always beat the French, who'd always beat us. Then the Welsh would fluke the grand slam when no one was looking.

;)
Never actually thought of it that way !

England definitely is France's "bete noire", peeve. We lose games we shouldn't against them, and play them well when they're really strong...everything's fkn upside down when it comes down to "the crunch".
Ireland get England more often than we'd expect, it's true.
And France's record against Ireland, let's be honest, has been ridiculously one-sided since the pro era, yes.

And then along comes Wales ! :lol:

Not jealousy... just a hitback by the hand of God...
la-mano-de-dio-maradona.jpg

.....I don't get it?

We have a special relationship with Argentina, yes... for a long time, Argentina and Italy were kind of the little brothers, until Argentina started beating us every ****ing time we played them. It's nothing like England, though.

It makes me sad that the english get hated for this world domination thing. I am sure in time people will get over it. Plus it was more of a British thing with the Scots and Welsh playing a part.

I am sure in time people will get over it nobody hates Italy because of the romans now do they. Time is a healer or so they say.

The Irish too unfortunately, I read the other day that something like 40% of British infantry were from Ireland during the Napoleonic wars, which considering Ireland's population is a ridiculous amount. Also I think the Irish still have the highest ratio of Victoria's Crosses per population of any of the home nations, which again is a bit mad. It's a pity Irish people who fought and died for the British Empire, the somme for example are more or less completely forgotten, by both sides.

i would definitely say england against wales! thats more of a passion but against france its more of a pounding!!

The Irish too unfortunately, I read the other day that something like 40% of British infantry were from Ireland during the Napoleonic wars, which considering Ireland's population is a ridiculous amount. Also I think the Irish still have the highest ratio of Victoria's Crosses per population of any of the home nations, which again is a bit mad. It's a pity Irish people who fought and died for the British Empire, the somme for example are more or less completely forgotten, by both sides.

Lots of British infantry in the Napoleonic era were also German troops(see the King's German legion as a prime example), as Hanover was actually part of the British Empire along with other smaller principlaities. Hanover left the British Empire only after Victoria ascended the throne since Salic law prevented Hanover from being ruled by a woman. If you look at the order of battle from Waterloo only a third of Wellington's troops were even British, and this dosen't even count the Irish, Scottish, Welsh(and handful's of men who were born elsewhere eg. American loyalists), so the numbers of English troops probably only represents a fraction of the total force.

In the Argentine's wars of independence there were irish soldiers too. The son of County Mayo, Admiral William Brown is the father of the Argentine Navy and his victories were worthy of an epic novel. The irish also helped to repel three British invasion against Argentina in 1806, 1807 and 1845 (Many of them fought against their own countryman)

Last edited:

Latest posts