• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which players should be the fastest?

Where did I mentioned anything about Masaga? I only was trying to point out, that most of the comments about players speed (like Lomu ran 10.4), is at best an unintellegent guess, and a majority of the statistics you hear about, are usually flat out lies, like Chavhanga is a Zimbabwe sprint champion with a national record in the 100m. If you wish to prove me wrong be my guest, but I have spent a good few hours trying to find sources for rugby players official sprint times, and most of the crap you find on the internet are total embellishments. As it so happens, I do think Chavhanga is one of the quickest players around. He is quite a bit slower now due to age, injury and rugby training than he was when he first came onto the rugby scene, but he's very quick.

Sorry mate, i confused your post another. I can see what your'e saying, most times you find are crap and fair enough at that. Chavanga def would of slowed down a bit do doubt, and like you said only a few can break 11 seconds every time. Guys like Ngwenga, Habana (also lost a bit of speed), Chavanga. Also about the whole 10.2 thing, he was only 17, so i highly doubt his time would be recorded anywhere seeing as he would not of been proffesional....so theres def a case in saying its complete utter rubbish for sure...however i do honestly believe he ran it in 10.2 as a teenager.

Sherwin Stowers is QUICK!!! He's probably the fastest Kiwi player at the moment... Then Masaga

Sorry mate, i confused your post another. I can see what your'e saying, most times you find are crap and fair enough at that. Chavanga def would of slowed down a bit do doubt, and like you said only a few can break 11 seconds every time. Guys like Ngwenga, Habana (also lost a bit of speed), Chavanga. Also about the whole 10.2 thing, he was only 17, so i highly doubt his time would be recorded anywhere seeing as he would not of been proffesional....so theres def a case in saying its complete utter rubbish for sure...however i do honestly believe he ran it in 10.2 as a teenager.

A few years ago an interviewer asked Chavanga if he actually did run 10.2, hes quoted as saying something along the lines of "No, thats ridiculously fast." He then clarified that the quickest he ever ran with hand timing was 10.5.

The interveiw ran in NZ rugby world or something similar, but im sure if you googled it someone would have put it up somewhere. My advice: Don't believe every rumour you hear, and try to get a better understanding of how fast a human is capable of moving. Anything near 11 seconds is scary fast, expecting a guy to run 10.2 is fantasy.

A few years ago an interviewer asked Chavanga if he actually did run 10.2, hes quoted as saying something along the lines of "No, thats ridiculously fast." He then clarified that the quickest he ever ran with hand timing was 10.5.

The interveiw ran in NZ rugby world or something similar, but im sure if you googled it someone would have put it up somewhere. My advice: Don't believe every rumour you hear, and try to get a better understanding of how fast a human is capable of moving. Anything near 11 seconds is scary fast, expecting a guy to run 10.2 is fantasy.

Haha you mean wikipedia? Which anyone can edit....

My school was documented as having an underground margarine factory that employs over 200 first years annually on its wikipedia page....

i have laughed a few times in this thread...CHRIS ASHTON!? are you kidding me?

Nywenga, Habana, Shane Wiliiams, Varndell and Chavanga....100 M times barely mean anything, i know lots of people who are fast on the track and not that fast on the field

Rodney Davies runs 100 in about 10.9 now days, Digby Ioane runs 100 in 11.2, Drew Mitchell runs it at 11.2 as well. Davies in highschool ran 10.6 but he was about 15kgs lighter.....

So you have the actual article?

No i just remember reading it, I don't keep a stack of rugby world magazines under my bed unfortunately.
A quick search shows that these websites list Tonderai Chavangas fastest time as 10.5:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=3562121 The Herald is one of the most respected news papers in NZ. Not alot of people agree with Rattues opinions but he rarely makes factual mistakes in his reporting..
http://www.joshuafoundation.org.za/team.php- This is a foundation in which he is apparently one of the directors, it even has his email if you want to ask him yourself. Although he may get annoyed at your pestering considering it says his pb is 10.5 right there in his bio..

So yeah thats that. If you can find a credible source that says Chavanga can run that ridiculous time then be my guest. (Hint, hearing from some guy at school does not count as a credible source.)

This is an interesting topic. There has to be a balance between how quick the player is off the pitch and how he uses it on a pitch with a ball in his hand. Hence Lachie Turner, a very fast sprinter on a track but on a pitch he always looks like he will be caught and he never backs himself if he gets an oppurtunity. Compare this with Chris Ashton who i bet you is not as quick on a track but is very fast on a pitch.

Five fastest in rugby are (in no order) Rod Davies, Tonderai Chavanga, Tom Varndell, Takudzwa Ngwenya and Lachlan Turner.

Kurltley Beale was named by the Wallabies coaches on the European tour as the fastest player in the squad

The fastest Australian players would be Rod Davies, Drew Mitchell, Kurtley Beale and Lachie Turner. All should have speed ratings of above 90 with Davies and Turner being in the high 90's.

Nobody can say they'e the fastest in all honesty. The fastest man on the planet is Bolt but thats over 100m on a flat surface in a straight line. I doubt he'd be the fastest going uphill for example because he has long legs.

Also some players are fast over a short distance but not over a longer distance. In the Irish squad years ago BOD was the fastest over 10m but there were a few faster over 100m.

You also have players like Shane Williams who can change direction, stop and go again at very high speeds. Overall Williams is up there as one of the fastest.

this topic seems to be drawing the same idiotic comments you get on every 'fastest' debate. let's be logical:

Someone with a top speed rating of 100 would have to be Usain Bolt, because he represents as fast as man can go. Based on that, no rugby player should have that kind of speed. Other Olympic standard sprinters would have to be 98/99.

Based on that, there can be a select group of players who you give ratings of 95+ to. These really have to be the players who are universally accepted as sprinters - the likes of Ngwenya and Varndell. I'd be surprised if there are more than 8 of these speed merchants.

Anyone else, it's up for debate. I'm guessing guys like Sivivatu and Shane Williams who are known for being pretty damn quick would fit in to the 90-94 bracket. And Shane Williams fans, you can always max out his acceleration and agility, which are where his real talents lie anyway - straight line speed he'll get burnt by a number of players though.

Either way, if they put in the roster/ player editor I've been screaming for then it'll all be irrelevant, since we can tweak it to match our own perceptions anyway.

Latest posts