• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who are the biggest teams and biggest players in the world?

<div class='quotemain'> You would have to be kidding me if you don't say Crusaders are the biggest provincial team in the SH, by far they have been the All Blacks of the Super 14, the team to beat year in, year out... [/b]

Just a quick question, there are what, 4 million people in NZ ?

If I remember the correct figures here, the Bulls have the largest fanbase in SA with about 2.4 million fans, that's more than half your population.

Just throwing that on the table for you guys to chew on, to you know, maybe gather your own conclusions. :)

So I would have to agree with Bokmagic, I'm pretty sure in the SH as a provincial team, the bulls are quite possibly the biggest and best known brand.
[/b][/quote]

I see your point, but The ABs also have a fan base of 4 million, and England 60 million, yet in my one eyed view the ABs are every bit as popular and well known as the England team. and also command the highest ticket values, which is a good measure of popularity.

Whilst Canterbury has a small (tiny) national base of **** all, there unparalleled performances have earned them a following/respect around the world. They are the worlds most successful provincial club in recent history.

Example: Most Man U fans live outside the UK. You cant always look at the locals of a club as the total fan base.

I think the most well liked and followed team are the British ad Irish Lions. They have everything and command avid interest from around the world.

Whilst Canterbury has a small (tiny) national base of **** all, there unparalleled performances have earned them a following/respect around the world. They are the worlds most successful provincial club in recent history.
[/b]

That's a very good point, but if I could venture a guess I'd say the Bulls are probably pretty popular outside of SA too, but yes going on success in recent history the Saders would no doubt have made a large impression on the rest of the world.

This is actually quite interesting, I would love to see global fan figures for the biggest rugby clubs/franchises/countries in the world.

If anyone actually stumbles upon something as arb. as that, please let us know.

:)

If we're going to decide on the "biggest players/teams" then it would be useful to define biggest: is it fanbase, success, respect in their competition or internationally?

Latest posts