Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharks

• The other SA team :)

• Total voters
W

woosaah

Dont be shy, this is the year the Super 14 is going to be wide open with the all blacks out for the first half of the season.

If you are loyal, so be it, but at least tell us why you think "your team" or the "the team i choose" will win this year :)

Just so you know, it wasn't me who voted for the Force.

I think the Brumbies will win it this year, provided they finish top two and have a good run with injuries.

Well it’s that time of the year... about bloody time too.
Has been very little Rugby im my part of the world which has increased my alcholism greatly... and so begins another season...

Who’s goming to take it out? For mine not to sure, due to the RWC things are going to be a bit differant for Kiwi fans.
For NZ supporters, selective members of the AB’s are getting to get a chance to sit on their collective bums and miss the a few games. This could prove crucial as early points in the opening rounds may be missed and that coould be a real problem towards the end of the season.
Who’s it going to effect? The Crusaders for one, the Hurricanes a wee bit, the Blues are crap so no problem for them â€" business as usual, the Cheifs have got Lavea so there stuffed before they start and the Highlanders will just plod along being the dark horse...

So who’s going to take it? Well i’m not sure... the Crusaders have many capable players but will be with out the big guns in the opening rounds, the Tah’s again have quality players but I’m not 100% convinced they can take it.
I think the top four will be... the Crusaders, the Tah’s, the Bulls and the Western Force.
Yup, the Western Force... serious. They’ll be into the second year, few new faces... getting better all the time PLUS it would be a hell of a bonus to see Western Australia get top spot and put some of the East coasters here in Australia to shame...

Break down of the Kiwi’s teams is as follows (perhaps the truth and Bull can add to their local teams).

Blues:
John Afoa
Ben Atiga â€" looking forward to watching him this year, is coming on in leaps and bounds
Sam Biddles
Anthony Boric
Daniel Braid
Justin Collins
Steve Devine
Troy Flavell - That’s Captain Troy now
David Gibson
Chris Heard
David Holwell â€" Thought he’d given up the ghost?
Doug Howlett
Jerome Kaino
Luke McAlister â€" sounds like he’s playing 2nd 5 for the season, wonder how much influence Henry had in putting him out of 1st5?
Angus Macdonald
Keven Mealamu
Isa Nacewa
George Pisi
Greg Rawlinson
Josevata Rokocoko
James Somerset
Saimone Taumoepeau
Isaia Toeava
Onosa’i Tololima-Auva’a
Anthony Tuitavake
Sam Tuitupou
Nick White
Ali Williams
Nick Williams
Derren Witcombe
Tony Woodcock
Rudi Wulf

Chiefs:
Sosene Anesi
Steven Bates
Ben Castle
Simms Davison
Aled de Malmanche
Stephen Donald
Jono Gibbes
Marty Holah
Richard Kahui â€" Watch this guy...
Byron Kelleher
Roy Kinikinilau
Tanerau Latimer
Sione Lauaki
Tasesa Lavea â€" anyone got a shot gun? What the hell?
Brendon Leonard
Toby Lynn
Lelia Masaga
Liam Messam
Malili Muliaina
Jamie Nutbrown
Kristian Ormsby
Keith Robinson
Sitiveni Sivivatu
Dwayne Sweeney
Niva Ta’auso
Anthony Tahana
Tane Tu’ipulotu
Craig West
Nathan White
Murray Williams
Tom Willis

Hurricanes:
Luke Andrews
Jerry Collins
Jason Eaton
Tamati Ellison
Lome Fa’atau
Tim Fairbrother
Hosea Gear
Jimmy Gopperth
Hayden Hopgood
Andrew Hore
Cory Jane
Tone Kopelani
Nili Latu
Serge Lilo
Chris Masoe
Alby Mathewson
Bradley Mika
Ma’a Nonu
Shannon Paku
Tony Penn
John Schwalger
Mahonri Schwalger
Conrad Smith
David Smith
Chris Smylie â€" strange move, fingers crossed he gets some game time
Rodney So’oialo
Blair Stewart
Neemia Tialata
Paul ***o
Hayden Triggs
Tana Umaga - ??? think someone got that wrong?
Bernie Upton
Thomas Waldrom
Piri Weepu

Crusaders:
Tim Bateman
Stephen Brett
Daniel Carter
Wyatt Crockett
Andy Ellis
Ross Filipo
Corey Flynn
Ben Franks
Rico Gear
Scott Hamilton
Chris Jack
Campbell Johnstone
Casey Laulala
Johnny Leo’o
Richie McCaw
Leon MacDonald
Aaron Mauger
Ben May
Peter Nixon
Kevin O’Neill
Jake Paringatai
Michael Paterson
Ti’i Paulo
Tusi Pisi
Jonathon Poff
Caleb Ralph
Kieran Read
Isaac Ross
Kevin Senio
Greg Somerville â€" Out for the season
Reuben Thorne
Rua Tipoki - Most have got lost?
Mose Tuiali’i
Brent Ward â€" Most have been fopllowing Rua and got lost as well
Paul Williams

Highlanders:
Aaron Bancroft
Josh Blackie
Callum Bruce
Keith Cameron
Craig Clare
Jimmy Cowan
Clarke Dermody
Nick Evans
David Hall
Carl Hayman
Charlie Hore
Glen Horton
Jason Kawau
Chris King
Filipo Levi
Jason Macdonald
Hoani MacDonald
Jamie Mackintosh
Toby Morland
Lucky Mulipola
Craig Newby
Anton Oliver
James Ryan
Matt Saunders
Alando Soakai
Ezra Taylor
Kane Thompson
Hale T-Pole
Viliame Waqaseduadua â€" Another player that got lost goting past the BomBay’s
Greg Zampach

So who's your pick Dumbo? dont rate the Brumbies this year?

The only teams i dont give a chance of making the finals this year are the Lions,Cheetahs,Stormers and Highlanders.The rest should really be eyeing a spot in the finals this year it's that damn close!

Good call on Kahui, he's definately one to watch.The Chiefs team actually looks very good this year but as you mentioned they have Lavea.... so they're screwed!.

I picked the Brumbies because i think they have one of the most well balanced teams in the comp with a good mix of youth and experiance.They are gonna need to finish top two though because i dont fancy their chances of knocking off the Crusaders and to a lesser extent the Hurricanes away from home.

It's also the final year for Gregan,Larkham,Paul? and maybe Mortlock... so they'll be giving it their all to finish off their Super Rugby careers with one more ***le.

FR:
1.Hendo
2.Paul
3.Shep

Thats a pretty good front row with the best prop(Shep) and hooker(JP) in OZ atm but they'll need to stay injury free in this area with the lack of quality replacements they have.

SR:
4.Campbell
5:Chisolm

2 young talented locks there who should be capable of competing with most SR's in the comp. They also have good cover in Adam Wallace-Harrison.

BR:
6.Heenan
7.Smith
8.AWH

replacements:
Hoiles
Tawake
Salvi

Awesome back-row there with heaps of depth. I'm expecting another huge year from Heenan who should be partnering Smith and Rocky in the Wallaby back-row this year.

Halves:
9.Gregan
10.Larkham

replacements:
Phibbs
Burgess
Huxley
Lealiifano

All class.... good replacements aswell

Centre/Outside-backs:
11.Rathbone
12.Fairbanks
13.Mortlock
14.Gerrard
15.Huxley

replacements:
A.Ashley-Cooper
A.Faingaa
Fainifo
Playford

A good mix of established internationals and future stars, plenty of meat pies in that backline.

i voted for the blues but i think they're gg to be like Man U of the 2003 season, start poor and give other clubs a run for their money towards the end of the season, i dont think they will win although i want them to...

the hurricanes stand a genuine chance of winning with umaga leading them, maybe they'll finally win the S14 trophy in their 11th yr as a professional club...

can't see canterbury winning anything becos of all their missing ABS... and with the other ABS gone from otago etc, the other NZ teams wont perform that well either..

with all the ABs missing, this season is a chance for some background players to stake their claim to some jerseys with the ABS gone...

go the Lions!!! quite obviously will win the competition with an outrageously high quality team and feeder clubs that struggle in the 2nd or 3rd tier thingy. Really looking forward to seeing them dazzle everyone with their far superiour strength, skill and heart.

Answering the truth (excuse the copy and paste)... it's not that I don't rate the Brumbies, I'm just not rating them this year... partly due to thinking about who's going to be in the starting line up for Australia come World Cup time, never knowing just what Jabba (the Australian coach) has in his head (or tripple double chins) you'd have to assume that there's going to be a few players from the Brumbies taking part - therefore you'd have to be a bloody idiot not to rest some of the big names in the Brumbies (injuries are going to be a BIG worry for the Wallabies this year).

The likes of Gerrard, Gregan, Larkham, Mortlock, Paul, Rathbone, Shepherdson and Smith must be on the short list for selection of the Australian squad. The combination of Gregan, Larkham and Mortlock would have to be in the starting line up for Australia... picture this - what happens if those three players come down with an injury that puts them out of the Cup?

Therefore me thinks that they will be rested throughout the series, with those three out I don't rate the Brumbies, however if they are in then yup they are going to be a force to be reakconed with. But looking on the other side of the Tasman (the side with all the water) I think that on paper even the Highlanders are going to give them a run for their money...

Looking at the team that the Truth listed...

FR:
1.Hendo
2.Paul
3.Shep

Rate Paul bit think Shep still has a long way to go, he's good don't get me worng but against what the Blues, Hurricanes, Crusaders and the Highlanders can field... nope not rated as a 'unit'.

SR:
4.Campbell

Rate Chislom, don't rate Campbell, again looking to what the Kiwi's can field... not rated by me as a 'unit'.

BR:
6.Heenan
7.Smith
8.AWH

Rate Smith, AWH is showing promise and Heenan although been a round a bit longer is not rated. Collectivly as a unit 'not rated.

replacements:
Hoiles - note rated
Tawake - same, but could be a good year for the Fijian
Salvi - nope

Halves:
9.Gregan
10.Larkham

Absolte class act.

replacements:
Phibbs - nope
Burgess - nope
Huxley - possibly
Lealiifano - nope

Centre/Outside-backs:
11.Rathbone
12.Fairbanks
13.Mortlock
14.Gerrard
15.Huxley

Class act (if they are all playing together)

replacements:
A.Ashley-Cooper - rated very highly by me
A.Faingaa nope
Fainifo - nope
Playford - nope

So for mine looking at the they players as a 'units' then not convinced that they are in the running, but early days and everything is based on assumption.

Few dates of birth...
Gregan, George Scrumhalf 19 April 1973
Larkham, Stephen Flyhalf 29 May 1974
Mortlock, Stirling Outside Centre 20 May 1977
Paul, Jeremy Hooker 14 March 1977

Would love to say something about Dad's army but the last idiots that came out with that one got flogged 5-0 (it's a long way to come for nothing, it's a long way to come). :lol:

Of course I picked the Blues to win. We've got a highly talented young squad and some old heads.....plus the fact that Lavea is no longer with us. :cheers:

But saying that, two teams that I will definitely keep an eye on are the Chiefs and the Cheetahs. Both had marvellous success in their domestic comp last year and will look to further that success in the Super 14.
They retained majority of their winning squads and should be worth watching them.

Plus the fact that the Chiefs have only got 3 rested ABs so that shouldnt be a worry for them.
They are spoilt for choices in the forwards - Gibbes, Robinson, Lynn, Ormsby, Holah, Bates, Messam, Latimer, Lauaki & Setephano.

I wouldnt be surprised if one or both of them reaches the semi.

Wonder what the hell the Chiefs are going to do with Lavea? ball boy, orange boy? bag boy? tackle bag... hold on come to think of it he's pretty handy.

Be a hell of a turn around if he actualy got a 'game plan' together (instead of sticking his head up Spencers ass and trying to play his game). Time will tell.

Answering the truth (excuse the copy and paste)... it's not that I don't rate the Brumbies, I'm just not rating them this year... partly due to thinking about who's going to be in the starting line up for Australia come World Cup time, never knowing just what Jabba (the Australian coach) has in his head (or tripple double chins) you'd have to assume that there's going to be a few players from the Brumbies taking part - therefore you'd have to be a bloody idiot not to rest some of the big names in the Brumbies (injuries are going to be a BIG worry for the Wallabies this year).

The likes of Gerrard, Gregan, Larkham, Mortlock, Paul, Rathbone, Shepherdson and Smith must be on the short list for selection of the Australian squad. The combination of Gregan, Larkham and Mortlock would have to be in the starting line up for Australia... picture this - what happens if those three players come down with an injury that puts them out of the Cup?

Therefore me thinks that they will be rested throughout the series, with those three out I don't rate the Brumbies, however if they are in then yup they are going to be a force to be reakconed with. But looking on the other side of the Tasman (the side with all the water) I think that on paper even the Highlanders are going to give them a run for their money...
[/b]

Fair enough, but Connolly has no say in what the aussie Super14 teams do with their players during the season, their main priority it to win this comp and i seriously doubt they'll be resting any Wallabies this season unless they've already have a spot booked in the semis. Fisher,Jones,McKenzie and Mitchell couldn't give two shits about the Wallabies WC chances this year, they'll be more focused on keeping their own jobs.

The original deal between the ARU and the super14 franchises was to keep a select group of 21 Wallabies out of all contact work and pre-season trial matches. The super14 franchises threatened to boycott the RTA directive all together(thanks to Eddie) but it seems that now the two parties have come to an agreement and those 21 Wallabies will be available to play 40 minutes of each of the Australian Provinces’ last Super 14 trial, set down for the Australia Day weekend.

So think about it,.... if the ARU has that much trouble getting the Provinces to rest players for trial matches, what chance do they have convincing them to rest Wallabies for key Super14 matches?

Looking at the team that the Truth listed...

FR:
1.Hendo
2.Paul
3.Shep

Rate Paul bit think Shep still has a long way to go, he's good don't get me worng but against what the Blues, Hurricanes, Crusaders and the Highlanders can field... nope not rated as a 'unit'.

SR:
4.Campbell

Rate Chislom, don't rate Campbell, again looking to what the Kiwi's can field... not rated by me as a 'unit'.

BR:
6.Heenan
7.Smith
8.AWH

Rate Smith, AWH is showing promise and Heenan although been a round a bit longer is not rated. Collectivly as a unit 'not rated.

replacements:
Hoiles - note rated
Tawake - same, but could be a good year for the Fijian
Salvi - nope

Halves:
9.Gregan
10.Larkham

Absolte class act.

replacements:
Phibbs - nope
Burgess - nope
Huxley - possibly
Lealiifano - nope

Centre/Outside-backs:
11.Rathbone
12.Fairbanks
13.Mortlock
14.Gerrard
15.Huxley

Class act (if they are all playing together)

replacements:
A.Ashley-Cooper - rated very highly by me
A.Faingaa nope
Fainifo - nope
Playford - nope

So for mine looking at the they players as a 'units' then not convinced that they are in the running, but early days and everything is based on assumption.

Few dates of birth...
Gregan, George Scrumhalf 19 April 1973
Larkham, Stephen Flyhalf 29 May 1974
Mortlock, Stirling Outside Centre 20 May 1977
Paul, Jeremy Hooker 14 March 1977

Would love to say something about Dad's army but the last idiots that came out with that one got flogged 5-0 (it's a long way to come for nothing, it's a long way to come). :lol:[/b]

I think you'll be surprised with a few of the guys you dont rate.

I would of thought that week you spent with a bunch of naked frenchmen in your sig would have given you a new found respect for the Brumbies :D... Looks like we'll have to place a few more bets this year ay? ,luckily for you there's a new betting system this year that doesn't involve your signature, so start racking up the 'perfect points' Dumbo, your gonna need them :bleh!:

and you still haven't told us your pick for this year????

Woow, if Jabba has no say in the Super 14 then best of luck to Austrlia for the Cup.

As for my predicted winner I'm going with the safety of the Crusaders.
Even with a fair percentage of the team being rested the likes of Brett, Crockett, Ellis, Flynn, Hamilton, Johnstone, Laulala, Leo’o, Ralph, Senio Tipoki, Tuiali’i and Ward should be able to keep the ship afloat until the big guns arrive.

Keep an eye on Stephen Brett, as an understudy to Cater he's got a lot of talent.

I would like to say that the Cheifs are in the running but they are not.
F&*king Lavea - heard he's got hamstring problems... oh well how sad.

It's also the final year for Gregan,Larkham,Paul? and maybe Mortlock... so they'll be giving it their all to finish off their Super Rugby careers with one more ***le.
[/b]

You're very correct with Gregan, Larkham, Paul. Stirlo however, is sticking around having signed on till either 08 or 09 (can't remember).

The last time, we had this sort of "exodus" was in 2004, with Roff and Giff leaving!! It's gonna be a great season!!

For me its a toss up between the Blues, Hurricanes and Brumbies.
I know the Crusaders will be strong as ever when the AB's return but id rather see someone else win the super comp.

Crusaders.. much as I dont want to see it I think they will still do it.

I'd love the Caines to win but thats as likely John Howard standing up to America.. miracle worthy IMO.

Well I normally go with the Crusaders because we can lose 3 out of 1st 4 games and still come back an win. Without our All Blacks for 7 rounds we will suck major balls.

So I went with the Sharks becasue they are by far the best South African team.

Latest posts