Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Argentina

• Georgia

• Namibia

• Total voters
i can't believe how many irish fans seem to think they will walk the pool. France are favourites. they played poorly against Ireland in the 6N and won. This time they're at home. Argentina have beaten Ireland enough before to be considered a threat. I can't remember the last time i saw any side dominate the Puma pack, and they have increased their firepower behind the scrum. Ireland are good, likely better than Ireland, but they haven't won any trophies, and are in no way looking head and shoulders above their rivals.
[/b]

:D they are even talking about the final.

Who is? - Irish fans? - i doubt it - as i have said before, and is a big concensus over here - i will be over the moon if we just get out of the group!!!

Given the nature of the teams in it, i reckon any of the three teams should be delighted to get out of it. I'm not making any predictions on who those teams are going to be as it's honestly too close to call.

i can't believe how many irish fans seem to think they will walk the pool. France are favourites. they played poorly against Ireland in the 6N and won. This time they're at home. Argentina have beaten Ireland enough before to be considered a threat. I can't remember the last time i saw any side dominate the Puma pack, and they have increased their firepower behind the scrum. Ireland are good, likely better than Ireland, but they haven't won any trophies, and are in no way looking head and shoulders above their rivals. [/b]

I tend to agree our Irish friends are very optimistic and sometimes they loose some rationality in their way of thinking, not to the extent of the post-2005 Welsh fans though, but this is quite unusual to me. They are pretty well pondered people.

Of course Ireland have possibly the strongest team in their Rugby history and they are thus entitled to claim a QF position. Nevertheless in this pool D there are two other sides, Argentina who are also at a peak and France who are preparing very seriously the RWC. The outcome is therefore very uncertain and in this kind of situation I think it's better to patiently wait for the match to happen.

I actually think france is in the worst position, playing home can be tricky

I actually think france is in the worst position, playing home can be tricky [/b]

Yes for sure, this is challenging but I think that this could add inspiration and a level of support that will make the players to play at 200% and this is what is required for a team like France to reach the final and win it.

<div class='quotemain'> i can't believe how many irish fans seem to think they will walk the pool. [/b]

I tend to agree our Irish friends are very optimistic and sometimes they loose some rationality in their way of thinking, not to the extent of the post-2005 Welsh fans though, but this is quite unusual to me. They are pretty well pondered people.[/b][/quote] I think alot of the Optimism is more a reaction to the similar blind optimism from both the French and Argentinians. I dont think any sensible Irish supporter would presume to think we'll walk it but at the same time, most of us firmly believe that Ireland at their peak can beat either of these teams. The question is though, can Ireland reach their peak? Judging by the injury list, the squad selection and more importantly a series of seriously poor performances, I'm starting to doubt it.

On the positive side, while the French are looking ominously "English", the Argentinians are looking fairly average. We may still scrape through but ........... I dont see anything to be optimistic about at this stage.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> i can't believe how many irish fans seem to think they will walk the pool. [/b]

I tend to agree our Irish friends are very optimistic and sometimes they loose some rationality in their way of thinking, not to the extent of the post-2005 Welsh fans though, but this is quite unusual to me. They are pretty well pondered people.[/b][/quote] I think alot of the Optimism is more a reaction to the similar blind optimism from both the French and Argentinians. I dont think any sensible Irish supporter would presume to think we'll walk it but at the same time, most of us firmly believe that Ireland at their peak can beat either of these teams. The question is though, can Ireland reach their peak? Judging by the injury list, the squad selection and more importantly a series of seriously poor performances, I'm starting to doubt it.

On the positive side, while the French are looking ominously "English", the Argentinians are looking fairly average. We may still scrape through but ........... I dont see anything to be optimistic about at this stage.
[/b][/quote]

after what u have showed against Italy yesterday,i think its better to u to concentrate on "6 nations 2008".

I think argentina has been hyding so far, they did not put much effort in the last test match, but once they decide to play for the real they surely can beat any of the 6th nations teams.

after what u have showed against Italy yesterday,i think its better to u to concentrate on "6 nations 2008". [/b]

I agree if we play like that again then there is no chance we are going to make it out of the group.

Though part of me thinks its a blessing in disguise because after that performace Ireland will be determined to prove themselves again against France.

I voted for Ireland and France, and i would putt the Irish in front of France... but we never know...

If the form is to be believed from these warm-up tests then France should canter into the quarter finals while Ireland and Argentina have been abject to say the least. The Ireland scrum is a mess, nothing new there, but the fact that Honnis is reffing the Ireland Argentina match would suggest that the Pumas won't get the advantage they should have with a proper ref, so with that platform neutralised I'd expect Ireland to come through provided O'Driscoll plays cause POC loses the plot when captain.

France over the last three games (2 Eng, 1 Wales) have varied everything, used almost all their squad, and played to different strengths. Their cover through #6 and #10 is brilliant, and only #15 was looking shakey, until Heymans had a fine game against Wales. Missing Marconnet, but everyone else is super fit. The ABs are quiet these days, so France look the best prepared outfit.

France will crush Arg, like they were amateur opposition. Ireland should beat Arg handily, as long as we keep concentration.

Very hard to see Ireland beating Laporte in France, not just once but twice in a month. Let's focus on the ABs, maybe send out a half-baked team against France and throw on the stars for the last 20 mins. Won't happen, but that's the realistic option for reaching the final.

And I don't agree that POC is hopeless as captain, Tarbh - but BOD is vital for leadership ... and all the rest. Same old story, but not a bad punchline.

I think France could win this World Cup. They have a very talented squad, and they played every single World Cup extremely well (maybe only the Australian did better). So it´s really a struggle for the second place. Argentina - Ireland is going to be a tough game, but I think Argentina will win. Juan Martin Hernandez is a first class player, I hope he could show it in this Tournament.

France is able to win the Wrold Cup, that's true and I think they also are able not to pass that dangerous pool....

France is able to win the Wrold Cup, that's true and I think they also are able not to pass that dangerous pool.... [/b]

And the French think were too optimistic? France win this world cup.. you make me laugh!

Lets see, hmmm.. If France meet New Zealand along the way, or even in the final.. France might aswell not turn up.
Lets just take the last few meetings between them, New Zealand punnishing them nearly each time.

09-Jun-2007

Won - 61 - 10

Westpac Stadium

Wellington

DGT.jpg
02-Jun-2007

Won - 42 - 11

Eden Park

Auckland

DGT.jpg
18-Nov-2006

Won - 23 - 11

Stade de France

Paris

DGT.jpg
11-Nov-2006

Won - 47 - 3

Stade de Gerland

Lyon

DGT.jpg
27-Nov-2004

Won - 45 - 6

Stade de France

Paris

RWC.jpg
20-Nov-2003

Won - 40 - 13

Telstra Stadium

Sydney

DGT.jpg
28-Jun-2003

Won - 31 - 23

Jade Stadium

Christchurch

DGT.jpg
16-Nov-2002

Drew - 20 - 20

Stade de France

Paris

DGT.jpg
30-Jun-2001

Won - 37 - 12

WestpacTrust Stadium

Wellington

So, the best France could do is a draw and thats when they were at their peak... and you think you could win... Australia would make pieces of you not even to mention South Africa.

In realistic terms, France beat Ireland by a point in Croke Park playing a full strenght team, and if you think we Irish are too optimistic about winning it, maby you should step back and have a look at the stats.
Beaten by England who are playing like dogs on heroin, beaten by Argentina, who are a great team, but if France are true WC Contenders, should of been put away. Ireland are not WC Contenders at the moment, but we shall see come 7pm GMT, New Zealand showd us what WC Champians looked like yesterday. thats what France need to play like if they want to be in with any chance.

Ireland were pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

We couldn't have played worse AND we got a "try" that clearly WASN'T. Why didn't the ref go to the TMO ?

Fair play to Namibia.

France will crush Arg, like they were amateur opposition. Ireland should beat Arg handily, as long as we keep concentration.

[/b]

Well, I read many comments like that one. Of course those were before the opening match of the world cup, that match that almost nobody expected to end up like that. :lol2tn:

I never saw Georgia and only once Namibia (last week end against Ireland). If Ireland and Namibia play against Argentina like they did last week end (terrible), which is hard to predict, it won't be difficult for Argentina to be in the 1/4 finals. I guess Arg and France will be at the 1/4.

I also envision Arg in the semis if we go to 1/4 as winners. Tell me dreammer, they have told me that when I said Arg will beat France ;)

so France will crush argentina, uh? I know it's easy to laugh now that the game is over

but who cares? HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR