• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who WON'T win the super 14 this year......

N

NZL Fan

In my mind the "haves" and "have nots" are already sorting themselves out, here is my take on who WON'T win the super 14 trophy...........

*The two new clubs - Perth/Cheetahs: No real depth, combinations still need working on, and a lack of experience in key positions (a no brainer really).

*The rest of the South African teams: Watching the Bulls (the best SA chance this year??) play the Brumbies, and the Stormers playing the Tahs you couldn't help but notice that the SA sides whole attacking plan is based on the other team making a mistake and then hopefully "breaking out" in counter attack (in the case of the Bulls just throwing it to Habana), going for endless interceptions and drop goals. Relying on penalties seem to be there main mode of scoring.

Talent is spread too thinly over 5 teams.

Unfortunately these kind of tactics are not going to win the Super 14 (and god help the Bulls if Habana gets injured).

Different competition, but the same old South African problems remain.........

*The Reds: Same old story, lack depth and failing to win home games early.

*The Highlanders: Yes, they beat the Blues (though thats not saying much), and they do have a lot of heart - but the backline is pretty ordinary outside of second five/full of inconsistant performers, the back three have major defensive concerns, and depth is not great in key positions if (and it will) injuries occur.

*The Blues: Same mistakes being made from last years super 12, too many individuals and not enough teamwork, new coach/skipper and a large North Harbour contingent not helping the combination problems, key injuries.

In my opinion the coaches havn't worked out that Lavea is not up to this standard of rugby as a first five. Yes, he will do the odd brilliant thing on attack/have the odd great game when the forwards are well on top, but he makes too many unforced errors, too easily drops his head when things get tough, has defensive frailties, and his "lateral" running style and lack of a bullet pass is cramping our excellent outside backs. "Spoilers" at best this year.

*The Chiefs: Strongest squad they have had in some time but are still dropping games they should be winning. Unless Mils gets moved into centre I can't see them getting within a bulls roar of the semis. Too inconsistant from week to week, but will score the odd upset this season when it all comes together.

I feel the Highlanders have a good shot as long as their backs don't get injuried. Their backline can match it with the best. Their depth at halfback is amazing. They have a good lineout and probably the best scrum in the comp.

The Blues I wouldn't write off just yet. Tipoki might spark them back into attacking form.

The rest I would agree with.

I think the Super 14 is gonna come down to 4 teams

Crusaders
Tahs
Brumbies
Hurricanes

the rest of the teams are shite

Out of those 4 the obvious choices are the Crusaders and Tahs for the final and the team with home advantage should win.

If the Brumbies stay fit they could surprise everyone and win it all.........we all know how much the brumbies love giving the Crusaders agood old beat down :D (they do it every year)

The Canes should struggle after the loss of Conrad Smith and even though they beat the Force they were dominated by the new team in most areas....... i dont see them winning it.

I would say a Brumbies v Crusaders final looks more likely. The Tahs need to get their number 10 sorted as their backline is being extremely under used.

Originally posted by aussie1st@Feb 20 2006, 12:50 PM
I would say a Brumbies v Crusaders final looks more likely. The Tahs need to get their number 10 sorted as their backline is being extremely under used.
Number 10 will be sorted out the minute Mat Rogers comes back. That guy will transform our attacking platform and then we'll really see what the Tah's can do.

Originally posted by sanzar+Feb 20 2006, 01:52 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-aussie1st
@Feb 20 2006, 12:50 PM
Number 10 will be sorted out the minute Mat Rogers comes back. That guy will transform our attacking platform and then we'll really see what the Tah's can do. [/b]
Yep, once Rogers returns the Tahs will look like a different team, he has to be the most influential and devastating player at the more attack orientated Super 12/14(along with carter)

In the mean time they gotta use Norton-Knight at 10 , that kid is all class

I agree, get that nuffy Donnelly out of the 10 and we may see a Brumbies vs Waratahs final. :)

Originally posted by aussie1st@Feb 20 2006, 01:04 PM
I agree, get that nuffy Donnelly out of the 10 and we may see a Brumbies vs Waratahs final. :)
I wish! Seriously, I'd LOVE to see that final happen, but the kiwi teams just have so much dominance in this comp still that it's a real long shot.

Originally posted by aussie1st@Feb 20 2006, 02:04 PM
Its hard not to see the Crusaders in the final IMO

...although if you dont give them counter attacking opportunities and quick turnover ball they seem very beatable

easier said than done though ,you would have to play a perfect game.

I wouldn't write off the blues yet. they have lost 2 games yes but they have lots of talent and if it fires they can burn up anybody in the comp. mcAlister injury could ruin the blues chances though.

highlanders have a good team and could suprise. wining on the road is key for them. and also having the likes of blair and kinikilau injury free.

crusaders are just more of the same. have lost players but have amazing depth.quality all over the park and on the bench should be in the top 2 easily.

chiefs. hard to say have a goodish team but may struggle to win the close games like last year.

hurricanes. can be dynamic like against auckland and then struggle against a hopless team like the force. should make the top 4 but can't see them wining it. beter luck with injuries would help too

the 2 new teams can't seem them going far. just lack of experince and star players to take them anywhere

sa teams proabbly struggle but bulls could make the top 4. will be screwed if habana his injured

for aussies teams tahs are the best chance. they have quality all over the park and will be lethal when rogers returns. brumbies may suprise but have lost too many players and will be in trouble if players like mortlock are injured. the reds basically have a few good players but don't have enough class to finish off team or be competitive against the better teams in the com.

Originally posted by esoj@Feb 20 2006, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't write off the blues yet. they have lost 2 games yes but they have lots of talent and if it fires they can burn up anybody in the comp. mcAlister injury could ruin the blues chances though.

The history of "super" rugby shows us that the winning team has always had an influential, potent, match winning first five - Lavea isn't that person...........................hence the Blues will not win this years competition.

yes I know hence my comment about mcAlister. I know the npc is slightly different to super 14 but auckland still won with lavea at 10.

I think a more apt term would be "still won despite Lavea"

The minute McAlisters jaw broke the season was screwed, or at least put on life suppor... Its a shame as well because Evans didnt mean to do it (injure McAlister), but Newby puts in the illegal, wrestling like move onto Lavea and doesn't do any damage.

I think Jesus justs hates the Blues, but Graham Henry pwns Jesus so whenever he's in the mix as either coach or "technical advisor" we carve up.

Originally posted by Ripper@Feb 20 2006, 04:02 PM
I think Jesus justs hates the Blues, but Graham Henry pwns Jesus so whenever he's in the mix as either coach or "technical advisor" we carve up.
bahahaha. kinda reminds me of what happend today at uni. some christians were giving away free bibles, so i said "no sorry im a jahovas whitness, and i actually find it offencive you trying to change my religion"

as for the blues though, you wait untill they face a team that isnt awesome, then we will get on a roll, and finnish 3rd or 4th, then win the bloody thing so me and ripps can say i told you so.

Originally posted by sambad5+Feb 20 2006, 06:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Feb 20 2006, 04:02 PM
bahahaha. kinda reminds me of what happend today at uni. some christians were giving away free bibles, so i said "no sorry im a jahovas whitness, and i actually find it offencive you trying to change my religion"

as for the blues though, you wait untill they face a team that isnt awesome, then we will get on a roll, and finnish 3rd or 4th, then win the bloody thing so me and ripps can say i told you so. [/b]
Amen to that Brotha.

The only problem is the Blues will get on a roll one or two weeks too late, and finish 5th place on bonus points... usually due to a chokejob against a South African team.

But I've still got faith, especially if Tipoki and Tuitavakie play to their potential and free up smokin Joe and Howlett.

Originally posted by Ride The Cliche@Feb 20 2006, 01:17 PM
*The Reds: Same old story, lack depth and failing to win home games early.
Same old story? We put in good efforts against both 2005 finalists and were winning in both matches up until around 65 minutes. We will keep improving. This is a new story.

Originally posted by esoj@Feb 20 2006, 02:18 PM
the reds basically have a few good players but don't have enough class to finish off team or be competitive against the better teams in the comp.
Did you just fly in from spastic school? We've just played against the two best teams (according to your own analysis) in the comp and were competitive in both.

Latest posts