• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why are Europeans so obsessed with Scrums ?

Loved Duckham "of the massive over elaborate side step" me. 1974 was when I started rugby during the great welsh years. Fancied meself a bit of a Gareth Edwards. I grew up calling them stand offs. But most of the time my forwards would refer to him as the useless c%&t in the 10 shirt, so we'd just run it from the back row all the time.

My favourite collectors item is a picture of myself and JPR after a match about 10 years ago.

Dave Duckham was a winger
Gareth Edwards was a scrum half
JPR Williams was a Fullback

...i like a good scrum...i really like a good scrumming game, both scrums stable and trying to win the ball rather than win the penelty

Not ever scrum is good mind you

also, not a fan of rules like peneliesing scrums that get pushed off the ball and colapse under that pressure, we're penelising people for not being strong enough

After reading most of the posts i think obsession is probably the wrong word, yes it is a fact that Euro rugby puts massive importance on the scrums, but it is also difficult to compare the 2 hemispheres as the rugby is totally different. Whether this comes from the fact that at one time rugby was made for all sizes, probably less today in the Pro world. As a back (10, 15) in my early days i converted to flanker for 10 yrs in France and loved it, I think the battle upfront will be always near the heart of any Euro forward, such saying as the girls behind, no scrum no ball or no win, probably count for less today but are still applied in the NH.
i also think its a very important part of the game in Europe, saying that the way scrums are preformed is not brilliant, far too many collaspes etc and we all know if you have played the game the biggest gang of crooks on a rugby park are the 2 front rows, if they were payed £100 a scrum if the scrums were perfect, they would be!!!!
If you want to con someone well the ref every game is conned by the front rows at every level, whether it be International or local amateur. I totally agree that far too much time is spent over re-scrumming but it can never be taken away from the game if anyone has played league they would understand, you may as well give a free kick as waste time forming an inexistant scrum in league. There is nothing better than taken the opposition back 10/15yds and making the front row eat grass.

Last edited:
One might argue back that Southern Hemisphere teams are so obsessed with not kicking 3 points - like ever? While its a big fan pleaser, I have literally seen New Zealand provincial sides inside the 22, with seconds on the clock, trailing by a point, tap and run penalties. I don't get it. They would rather try for a the 5 than take an easy drop goal to win the match.

Scrums are important. As a former 9 and 10, if your side cant scrummage, then you can look forward to a long day at the office behind your pack, or chasing the opposition.

I love southern hemisphere rugby. 6 Nations and European league rugby pales by comparison, but I still get shocked how little some Southern Hem teams put the boot to ball when it is an easier option.

That's a generalisation which is factually incorrect. Look at South Africa for example. In our history we've nearly always went for the easier 3 points. Sometimes from within our own half. It has only been recently that we go for the corner and try to maul for a try or even run from our own 22.

That's a generalisation which is factually incorrect. Look at South Africa for example. In our history we've nearly always went for the easier 3 points. Sometimes from within our own half. It has only been recently that we go for the corner and try to maul for a try or even run from our own 22.

And on that other point of SH teams putting not putting boot to ball, that is also factually incorrect. We kick a hell of a lot. The Boks are known for it lately and we have been pretty useless at it. But there were some stats from the RC that came out and New Zealand actually kicked the most, their kicks are just more effective than the rest. In general, ineffectual kicking is noticed a lot more than effective kicking.

Dave Duckham was a winger
Gareth Edwards was a scrum half
JPR Williams was a Fullback

Just to clarify, I am aware that David Duckham played on the wing.....

I am delighted to say that I have been with David and his wife in his house just south of Leamington Spa and met him on several other occasions over his favourite tipple of champagne!!

The 10 comment referred solely to Richard Sharpe although I admit it could have read as referring to them both!!

Latest posts