• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Why Japan is not in TRC?

rgman

Academy Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Well, checking Japan next game on November 2 against the almighty All Blacks, I wonder why aren´t playing against the best SH rugby teams. Imo is one of possible teams to add in The Rugby Championship. In fact they are the 15 th best team in the world: not bad. They have infrastructure, sponsors and passion for the game. What´s your opinion...

Last edited:
Well Japan isn't in the SH, so them playing in a SH competition would be a bit out of place. They're also no were near good enough in the last RWC NZ put 80 points on them. On top of that it's about a 9 about flight form Japan to NZ, not exactly close.

Is there a risk with Japan? I know...they can infiltrate a human-like robot in the field!!! C´on buddies, tell me something...

Well there is an easy answer.

Japan vs New Zealand:
Games: 2
Points for 24
Points against: 228

Japan vs Australia:
Games: 4
Points for: 58
Points against: 220

They have never played South Africa and their record is not too bad against Argentina winning one and losing four (but Argentina haven't exactly been winning the TRC).

Answer: They're not good enough yet. I wouldn't mind them expanding into SR though (or better yet a H-Cup like format with SR nations).

Last edited:
Question:Why Japan is not in TRC?
Answer: They would get absolutely mullered just about every game!

In 2019, Japan will be the first host country ever to fail to make it out of the Pool Stages

Question:Why Japan is not in TRC?
Answer: They would get absolutely mullered just about every game!

In 2019, Japan will be the first host country ever to fail to make it out of the Pool Stages

Like South Africa in the football World Cup in 2010 ;)

By the way, England won't be making it out of the pool stages in 2015 either haha

Like South Africa in the football World Cup in 2010 ;)

By the way, England won't be making it out of the pool stages in 2015 either haha

Yeah this is actually a distinct possibility, with Wales, Australia and Fiji in their pool. Craziest pool of death ever!

Once they've won the PNC a few years in a row and have a domestic league consisting of more than ex-pros looking for a final pay cheque then we can talk.

hate to be exclusive but other nations shouldnt be added ATM. Argentina were only added once they were considered strong enough to be competitive. any other SH nation ATM would get wrecked every game... also when the AB's take on Japan later this year, expect a 2nd string team to play

Well there is an easy answer.

Japan vs New Zealand:
Games: 2
Points for 24
Points against: 228

Japan vs Australia:
Games: 4
Points for: 58
Points against: 220

They have never played South Africa and their record is not too bad against Argentina winning one and losing four (but Argentina haven't exactly been winning the TRC).

Answer: They're not good enough yet. I wouldn't mind them expanding into SR though (or better yet a H-Cup like format with SR nations).

I'm not arguing the point that they would get thrashed by New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. But it's worth noting that those stats aren't accurate reflection on Japan as they have always played their B team at the RWC against the top nations, such as the 2007 game against Australia and the 2011 game against New Zealand. They made something like 13 changes to the side that faced New Zealand in the last tournament after giving France a good game a few days earlier.

They did come quite close to beating Italy away in 2011, and nearly beat a full strength Samoan side in 2012. So I think they could be respectable against Argentina, and would have a very good chance of beating their June side.

Many people who just watch Tier 1 rugby underestimate Japan vastly based on their weakened team's thrashings against the big teams, but in reality they are bubbling under the likes of Italy and Scotland along with the likes of Canada rather than the Namibia-esque side those stats suggest.

When New Zealand play them this year they will field a much better team than they did in 2011 and hopefully can gain a bit of repair to their reputation and gain a bit of respect that has been harmed by some disastrous outings against New Zealand in the past.

Okay, so maybe when Japan start fielding something other than B teams against SANZAR nations we can start to consider them; they feel themselves they have no chance so what would be the point?

Okay, so maybe when Japan start fielding something other than B teams against SANZAR nations we can start to consider them; they feel themselves they have no chance so what would be the point?

The reason they field weakened teams is because of the often ludicrous rest periods in the RWC. In 2003 they fielded a full team for all the matches and did reasonably well against France and Scotland, only to run out of gas in the last match they were expected to win with the USA. Their resting policy hasn't worked though as they only managed 2 draws with Canada in the last two tournaments.

I don't buy your point about having no chance though. Of course they have no chance of beating the All Blacks, but then if that is pointless then you rule out an awful lot more matches for New Zealand as well. Italy, Scotland and Argentina all might as well not play them.

And by the way, in case it was missed in my post, I'm not arguing that they should be included. I'm just arguing that the previous results such as the RWC 2011 game aren't indicative to the level of the real Japan first team. The match this November will see an improved effort on that one. They will still lose, but they won't concede 80 points.

They might well lose by less than 80 but because NZ will be fielding a B team. The fact remains they chose the NZ and Aus games to spare their better players. They would not have done so if they thought they had any kind of chance. That is the only point I was wanting to make. I can accept though that Japan might be a little better than results suggest.

They might well lose by less than 80 but because NZ will be fielding a B team. The fact remains they chose the NZ and Aus games to spare their better players. They would not have done so if they thought they had any kind of chance. That is the only point I was wanting to make. I can accept though that Japan might be a little better than results suggest.

Of course not. But they are hardly the only team to do that. Italy did so in 2003 when they shipped 70 points, Scotland did so in 2007. It's a conundrum between what to do with those unwinnable matches at World Cups, try and get some respect in defeat or just abandon them and target the others.

Tonga in 2011 played their full team against New Zealand and lost 41-10 nearly winning the second half, and opted to give a few players a rest for the next game 3 days later against Canada and lost and ruined their chances of a quarter final.

Of course not. But they are hardly the only team to do that. Italy did so in 2003 when they shipped 70 points, Scotland did so in 2007. It's a conundrum between what to do with those unwinnable matches at World Cups, try and get some respect in defeat or just abandon them and target the others.

Tonga in 2011 played their full team against New Zealand and lost 41-10 nearly winning the second half, and opted to give a few players a rest for the next game 3 days later against Canada and lost and ruined their chances of a quarter final.

interesting to read psychic, I mean it.
I guess we'll just have to sit back and see what Japan gives us when at full strength in the next few months..

my opinion is :lol:

Someone is doing a bad job ... America, Asia, even Africa .... If you love rugby is that you will want to expand globally.

That is why some say that the elite rugby is a incestuous group, and Argentina is the latest to join the party :)

Go Japan... and yeah Samoa deserve to play in TRC too, but I recognize that there are problem$. Could they play in any country which allow them to use the stadiums??

Someone is doing a bad job ... America, Asia, even Africa .... If you love rugby is that you will want to expand globally.

That is why some say that the elite rugby is a incestuous group, and Argentina is the latest to join the party :)

Go Japan... and yeah Samoa deserve to play in TRC too, but I recognize that there are problem$. Could they play in any country which allow them to use the stadiums??

To some extent it is a bit of an 'old boy's club'. I think the best start would be for every member country's vote to count for equal.

The big problem for rugby as a truly global sport though is that a difference in class is more evident in rugby than it would be in soccer as an example. There are many contributing factors for this and many of those are the inherent properties of the game itself which means it won't be changed without changing the game we all love. The IRB have done a lot toward promoting the sport in different areas of the globe with the cherry on the top being the inclusion of rugby (albeit the 7 man code) in the Olympics. The fact of the matter is they can't MAKE people watch or play rugby so a lot of promotion has to come from the member nations themselves and monetary problems are a problem for all sports in less economically strong countries..
sad but facts we have to deal with.

Because Japan isn't a Tier 1 team, Argentina it is.

Cheers

Latest posts