• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wikipedia joins web blackout in Sopa protest

Sopa is dumb. It's basically what China and N Korea do. It's propaganda, giving people in power the excuse to remove things they don't agree with. Glad the big Internet powers are rejecting it.

In some ways it's actually going to hurt companies that exercise thier overarching powers if it passes, I buy tons of games or rent movies based on youtube LP's and gameplay footage and trailers/soundtracks people post.

In some ways it's actually going to hurt companies that exercise thier overarching powers if it passes, I buy tons of games or rent movies based on youtube LP's and gameplay footage and trailers/soundtracks people post.

Completely agreed. It's actually great watching how quickly the internet has lashed out at companies which (publicly) support SOPA. I'm sure plenty of companies do really support SOPA behind closed doors but the act is just a step backwards from the age of information.

Even if they register Canada as their official base of operations, they still have many physical buildings, servers, employees etc in the states which fall under U.S government regardless of where they claim the headquarters to be.
They could relocate all of that in theory, but then you have to realise; google isn't actually losing too much out of this. They are opposed to the principle behind it and they would take a hit in advertising revenues, but by in large they come would come out looking alright. The loss they would make on staying put would be far outweighed by the costs of relocating everything

Even if they register Canada as their official base of operations, they still have many physical buildings, servers, employees etc in the states which fall under U.S government regardless of where they claim the headquarters to be.
They could relocate all of that in theory, but then you have to realise; google isn't actually losing too much out of this. They are opposed to the principle behind it and they would take a hit in advertising revenues, but by in large they come would come out looking alright. The loss they would make on staying put would be far outweighed by the costs of relocating everything

:p therugbyforum should make a blackout too !!!!!

I dont think where the server is, is taken into account with SOPA.. like currenlty the US is trying to extradite a guy from the UK for copywrite infringement (and making money from it through ad's) when based of UK law he's done nothing "Wrong" as such as he was just linking off to videos (Tvshacks owner iirc).. Yet still the US wants to convict him. So really they could shut down any site in the world if they really wanted to by passing this act im gonna guess :/ Also Google would get fecked over pretty fast.. the amount of copywrited material they link off too etc of which under SOPA can technically get google taken down..

Am I wrong in saying they could still hit these companies if they are against American companies copyright even if they did move abroad

Read this morning that Megaupload has been shut down and two of the owners arrested in New Zealand. This is another sign of things to come, effectively SOPA is to back the people which fund the political parties in America, these are big execs in the media market who have a lot influence in the American Government. I personally feel that if SOPA gets passed then the backlash from hacking groups is going to be beyond anything we have ever seen, could even be the start of a cyber war!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this really puts an exclamation mark on things. Arrested in New Zealand, although they are facing no charges from NZ authorities.

Latest posts