• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will the French public accept a foreign coach or one who gained citizenship?

Simple question simple answer NO!!!!! just do not think its possible and far too complicated ,until the peace between FFR and the LNR is made nothing is going to happen and i doubt if the peace wil be ever made. so no no no!!!!!!!

I decided to put up thistopic... cause I disagree with you. I think that it can be hard but it can as "impossible is not french"... I think a guy like Vern Cotter could train the french national team and that for many reasons : he is a top coach, he has coached ASM during years, played in France, knows french game and spirit, speaks easily french, has a french philosophy of the game... In fact, he is French in his soul. And both FFR and LNR had already spoken about that possibility and NONE was opposed to the idea.
Personnally, Novès was the man of the situation in 2007-2008, but he has been called too late. And lately in Toulouse, he was the shadow of the coach he has been. He will do better than PSA, but I think that 8,235,012 coaches would have done better than PSA... And Novès won't be able to do anything if the system stays what it is. we need a strong Président of FFR with strong changements. It is necessary to have a FFR which would impose the national priority but I am fearing it's just a dream.

Last edited:
well i'm glad you think or fear its a dream, i'm not apposed to the idea at all, of course Cotter would make a good coach but as he has signed with us for 3 yrs out of the question.
If you knew anything about the LNR or the FFR in great detail (no disrespect) you would maybe realise that these peope are protecting themselves and are not looking towards the future or the National team. Just ask yourself why did they not sack PSA, he deserved it, if they did they would get part of the blame and hell they would not want that now would they, look where he is now coaching a Fed 1 or 2 team. Noves will have success but it may be limited, and yes he should have got the job before PSA. While the club rugby stays as strong as it is the National team will suffer, the youth of today are limited in their game time so no experience no chances of possible selection bar a couple of excellent players, Chat Camara for example. You can have the best coach who speaks French knows the French players but is not French it will not happen, why did they not give the job to Galthie, as a coach he is as good as anyone but!!!!!

No problem Gaston :)
I wasn't saying Vern will take it, I said he COULD HAVE TAKEN IT...
I know that FFR and LNR are comosed with politicians at their head, they only think about themselves and the money they can earn from their position...
I was argueing also against your "impossible"... I think Laporte was a good national coach, a good trainer (with bègles he did just fine in the 90's) and a good manager with Toulon. He has been named by the same poor politicians...
I think Galthier is too young and too tender for the position of national coach, just as Ibanez (whom had my preference).

Lièvremont was as bad as PSA but I don't blame them too much because I think it's the system which is bad. you could have put Graham Henry in the same conditions of PSA, he would have been eliminated in 1/4 just the same, not because the french players aren't good but because they are not oriented to play for France in good conditions. The french top 14 is too heavy, I would do 2 pools of 8 teams, then semifinals and finale... I would earn many dates and time to prepare for European cup, and for french national squad. it would make pro doing less than 30 match instead of 40+ as they did now... just compare to south hemisphere players... the gap is not due to talents and skills but on physique and shape... NH guys are tired, far more than in the South, and French are the most tired of the North... How can we compete ? we sometimes show "illusions" just because of heart (like last victories over Pumas or last victory over Australia under PSA)... but it was few and now it's even fewer victories against big top 7 of the world... even Scotland, Italy are a threat for us, that's not normal...

it's not going to get better!! Paul Goze has just been re elected for the LNR so nothing is going to change there, and i expect Camou to be elected in Dec.for the FFR so malheursement its going to be very much of the same, there is a mini chance for Bernie la Bolt in Dec but i'm afraid he has a mountain to climb to topple Camou of his perch.

with Goze just re-elected as chief Jabba, Camous probable re-election will sure drive the last nail into les bleus coffin.

If you think the national team is in a bad way now, wait till we get to the other side of 2019.
- - - Updated - - -

Lièvremont was as bad as PSA but I don't blame them too much because I think it's the system which is bad.

Hell no Lievremont was not as bad as PSA. He won a GS in 2010 and made the 2011 WC final. PSA was a million miles from achieving either.

I wonder what coaching professional in his right mind will want that job after Japan 2019?

They should give it to a foreigner with suicidal impulses. Or better. An ex minister like Roseline Bachelot or Miss Languedoc.

Last edited:
i think Francois would make a good coach, Hollande that is, he could preventall the players from eating the cakes and biscuits!!! Miss langudoc non non far too pretty for that job.

They should give it to a foreigner with suicidal impulses. Or better. An ex minister like Roseline Bachelot or Miss Languedoc.[/QUOTE said:
Miss Languedoc is already called to retake the job after Deschamps for the soccer team lol Bachelot is too much taken by TV shows. :D lol

I'll do the job if I can get Miss Languedoc as part of my wages.

Miss Languedoc is already called to retake the job after Deschamps for the soccer team lol Bachelot is too much taken by TV shows. :D lol

Miss Languedoc is way over qualified to take over from Deschamps.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll do the job if I can get Miss Languedoc as part of my wages.

LOL :lol:

Latest posts