• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will this game fulfill it's potential??

T

Titan

3 weeks to go until release, and I don't know about anybody else, but my initial enthusiasm for this game has dipped slightly. Maybe it's because Rugby 2006 is sounding better by the day, or maybe it's the lukewarm magazine reviews. Either way, can someone please reassure me that this game will be worth the wait! I will buy it regardless, but I really want this to be the rugby game we all want (sim or arcade, I just want a decent, challenging game of rugby!)

Don't we want that from all rugby games?

I understand what you are saying but, I'm not getting my hopes up yet....

...I did that weeks ago...
<
<

This game will be FANTASTIC, UNBELIEVABLE, HUGE FUN, WELL WORTH THE WAIT.

There you go ... well you did ask.
<

I'm sure the reviews will start coming through soon. If a few mags give 4/10 then it's an obvious turd. Personally I think it's turdishness is only very slight - but then I am mightily biased.

<

Hmm... seems like hype has clouded ove the reality. Trev's starting to fight the corner quite strongly.

you guys digust me - its amazing how fickle you are.

i for one will stay loyal to this game as i can see how good it looks

the guys from swordfish have been nothing but honest with us and theyve actually invited people to playtest the game

you lot are so ungreatful - for shame

Umm ... it was actually meant to be a joke ... tongue in cheek like.
<

I'm not really here to influence you to buy our game - that would be a total waste of my time. I hang out here cos I love rugby and it's fun. Some of you will buy RC2006 and not cos of anythign I say. Then you will all go and buy Rugby 2006.
<
<
<

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 13 2006, 11:44 AM
you guys digust me - its amazing how fickle you are.

i for one will stay loyal to this game as i can see how good it looks

the guys from swordfish have been nothing but honest with us and theyve actually invited people to playtest the game

you lot are so ungreatful - for shame
Nobodies being ungrateful. I can understand where they're coming from. WCR was an average game, and the media hasn't exactly been singing its praises. Most people would hire the game out before bying. I certainly will be. As an unemployed internet bum, I have to choose wisely how to spend my money. I'm sure Locksley and Boy and Knowsley and St Helens/Dan/Jamie Lyon are right, but there is always a chance that others may disagree. Its not about being loyal, its about videogames. I always try before I buy (exceptions being WCR and RPIC because the local Video Ezy are slackers who never get new Xbox games...cheap ********) anyway.
Nobody is slagging the game, theres no need to defend Swordfish...Thats what Trev is for
<

RC2006 has a lot riding on it. Including reputations and i'm sure without good sales figures there wil l not be funding for another game.

there won't be another game. this is the last rugby game and proabbly sports game from swordfish ever. vivendi have plans for swordfish and it seems sports games are not one of them.

4 trf members have played the game and have loved it. that is good enough for me to buy the game and that it is living up to it's hype

Originally posted by yemster@Jan 13 2006, 12:56 PM
RC2006 has a lot riding on it. Including reputations and i'm sure without good sales figures there wil l not be funding for another game.

Actually, there's not much riding on RC2006.
<

This is the last sports game we will develop - in the short term at least. We have a VERY cool project that we are working on now for VUG, which is really exciting - but RC2006 will not have a sequel. Well not one developed by us.

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish+Jan 13 2006, 09:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trev@Swordfish @ Jan 13 2006, 09:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-yemster
@Jan 13 2006, 12:56 PM

Actually, there's not much riding on RC2006.
<

This is the last sports game we will develop - in the short term at least. We have a VERY cool project that we are working on now for VUG, which is really exciting - but RC2006 will not have a sequel. Well not one developed by us. [/b]
Unless this project you speak of is a bazooka-toting, hippy-killing, 1200sq mile bloodfest with a ***ular female anti-hero, I am already very disappointed...

Nah, good stuff Trev. Hopefully you do wind up making another sports game, but this "VERY cool project" wouldn't happen to be a next-gen project would it?

.....With a bazooka-toting, hippy-killing ***ular female anti-hero...

Originally posted by esoj@Jan 13 2006, 02:11 PM
there won't be another game. this is the last rugby game and proabbly sports game from swordfish ever. vivendi have plans for swordfish and it seems sports games are not one of them.

4 trf members have played the game and have loved it. that is good enough for me to buy the game and that it is living up to it's hype
Our opinions seem very different. Dont take any notice of anything ive said
<

People, we are at the top of the hill. We're about to coast down the other side as RC06 is finally released. In my opinion it will be well, well worth the wait, but that is of course just my opinion. A couple of reviewers have said that it's not very good. What's your point? Games I have LOVED have got poor reviews, but I liked the sound of it and went and bought it anyway. Some of the reviews for Brian Lara International Cricket weren't brilliant, but that very word sums up the entire game. I feel that RC06 will be exactly the same. It will be a cult game, no doubt, but those who buy it will not be at all disappointed.

The pessimism and negativity is certainly not warranted. In fact, where has it come from? Games magazines aren't anything like they used to be, in fact I think some of the reviewers are either on drugs or are being paid conkers by rival publishers. I've seen some rubbish written in my time, and boy (just to confuse you again mate
<
) do these reviews give an unjustified picture of what this game is about.

Trev and the Swordfish team are great people. Very, very honest, true, very open to how they can make things better, and very astute. Sure, I talk to Trev a lot behind the scenes, but that doesn't mean I would lie to you all if the game wasn't very good.

I too am honest and true (if you ever need a head of media Trev
<
<
<
) and wouldn't lie to you.

I can't wait to play RC06.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jan 13 2006, 08:29 PM
I can't wait to play RC06.
And this laides and gents, from a hardcore league fan.
<

If this doesn't reassure doubters, nothing will.

I wouldn't say I'm a doubter, but let's face it, we've all been here before - initial excitement turns into boredom within a couple of weeks. I did state at the outset that my enthusiasm has dipped "slightly" - it's still there, just not to the extent it was a month ago. But I am still hopeful....honest!

Originally posted by ***an@Jan 14 2006, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't say I'm a doubter, but let's face it, we've all been here before - initial excitement turns into boredom within a couple of weeks.
Surely this is the case with most, if not all games though?

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Jan 14 2006, 11:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jan 14 2006, 11:35 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-***an
@Jan 14 2006, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't say I'm a doubter, but let's face it, we've all been here before - initial excitement turns into boredom within a couple of weeks.
Surely this is the case with most, if not all games though? [/b]
True - it's just more disappointing with rugby games.

As long as this game has more depth than WCR it will be good. WCR had potential but was ruined by lack of depth in the game play where it really just became about chucking the ball from wing to wing and recylcing -> score.

Looking forward to it though.

If this game is good ill kinda be bummed that its the last sports game from swordfish. Someone finally gets it right and the secret will die with them!! Hopefully it will live a long life like Jonahs.

What's worrying is the news about Rugby06 - Locks will be posting what will apparently be a a very good review shortly. I think I will still buy RC2006, but I'd like to see both directly compared by Locks et al before they make assertions as to which is better, after all it was quite while ago the guys went up to Swordfish studios.

Latest posts