• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Club Challenge set to expand

Robert Prosser

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Proposals by the Rugby Football League to expand the World Club Challenge are set to be discussed by the International Federation.
RFL chief executive Nigel Wood re-iterated the call for more clubs to become involved in the annual challenge following Leeds' 26-12 victory over Manly Sea Eagles at Headingley on Friday and he is hoping the establishment of a new governing body for the game in Australia will result in a more enlightened view.

"There's room for more of our leading clubs to take the field against their leading clubs," Wood said. "We've got four, five, six clubs that are the match of the sides in the NRL."
The Australians have traditionally dragged their heels when it comes to the international game and forced the Four Nations Series into cold storage this year but Wood believes the Rhinos' victory, which halted a run of three straights wins by NRL clubs, has strengthened his argument.

He added: "I don't think it would be inaccurate to say that the British game has always placed a higher appreciation of international club rugby league than our partners but it is undoubtedly true that constructing a financially viable and workable structure to it is a challenge.
"It is already a pretty crowded fixture list and certainly players in both hemispheres are concerned about potential over playing and we absolutely have to ensure we don't undermine international competition but ostensibly our view is that we need to explore all the options fully.
"The fundamental issue for us is that we believe that international club football has got growth in it.
"You just have to sit down with the Australians and work out what the right formula is. We're pretty sure that they will look at this as an opportunity to expand what is a great part of the rugby league calendar.
"The NRL has recently made some changes to its governance structure and no doubt once they've had a chance to settle in, international club rugby league might be (an) area they may now want to look at."
Wood is keen to bring up the topic at the next meeting of the International Federation and David Gallop, chief executive of the new ARL Commission, said he would listen to any proposal while expressing caution about the logistics of expanding the concept.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/19022012/63/plan-expand-world-club-challenge.html

As Nigel mentioned the correct formula will have to be worked out for this to become viable.

It's an absolutely terrific idea, however from an NRL point of view the regular season would have to be decreased from 26 rounds. With finals thrown in the NRL season is in full swing for 8 whole months. Throw in trials for a few weeks prior then there's an awful big season!

Trials between NRL teams is one area which could be substituted for an expanded WCC.

It would be terrible to see less International games than there already is however this seems to be the way things are headed.

The only viable option I see is lopping off the back end of one competition and the start of the other and have a crack from there.

What does everyone else think?

As I said earlier, I think the concept is terrific but what can we do without?

Substituting trials isn't an option, IMO. Teams will always play trials. A trial game lets teams prepare for the season. Teams aren't going to risk coming into a season unprepared and AFAIC you can't stop teams from playing them. Beside, no trials would mean no Charity Shield and no games in smaller venues (Hobart, Perth etc).

An expanded WCC does not really do it for me. I'm one of the few who like it as it is. It's a bit of fun at the start of the season and for me it does not need to be more or less than that.

Without trying to sound rude, who exactly is it "a bit of fun" for?

From all reports it's really just a pain in the arse for all involved, or atleast the majority.

The current configuration is dated, irrelevant and as I mentioned above, a pain in the arse.

It should either be updated or abolished.

For me. It's fun for me. I think the players like it too, not to say they would not an extended tournament.