• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Club Challenge

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Mar 1 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Mar 1 2010, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't wait for next years at the DW stadium ;)[/b]

I agree - because it has to be played at a neutral venue so that means it won't be Wigan playing in it!
[/b][/quote]

Why does it? Wigan played in it at Central Park twice, Brisbane played at the ANZ.

They changed the rules.

That's why Leeds play it at Elland Road, Bradford at Huddersfield, Saints at Wigan or Bolton.

Not that Elland Road is "neutral" but this is Leeds we're dealing with.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Feb 26 2010, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Watch This

And This

Both brilliant. Second one in Particular, a British side winning in Brisbane.[/b]
Haha Wendell at fullback is golden. Apart from the fact it only showed Wigan highlights that video was a good watch. It was especially good seeing a youthful Jason Robinson back in his league days.

And someone try telling me that game meant nothing to Melbourne, by the way.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 16 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Watch Manly beat Leeds last year and tell me it didn't mean anything to them.[/b]

I will tell you it didn't mean anything to ANYONE in Australia,win or lose,it is just a training session for our boys,just as it was for MelbourneStorm against Leeds recently,...they know they can beat the Poms whenever they want to,....There is very little coverage in Aussie newspapers about these games,we are more intersted in the 'real' OPPOSITION the Kiwis,they give us the headaches,not the poms,they (England) have nearly 40 years to make up on the difference between us and them....maybe the Aussies might be interested in the monetary remunerations coming from these games,but I guess that is about all,...I am a bit worried now that we have beaten the English club champions twice in a row on their own middens the interest might diminish in England and only a handful of spectators may turn up in future years making it non-viable for the Aussies to turn up....It is a well known fact that when the Aussies play the Poms in England in a three test series they have to loose one of the first two tests otherwise if England were 2-0 down they would be lucky to get more than 7 or 8 thousand through the turnstiles for the "dead rubber match"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Mar 9 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Feb 16 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watch Manly beat Leeds last year and tell me it didn't mean anything to them.[/b]

I will tell you it didn't mean anything to ANYONE in Australia,win or lose,it is just a training session for our boys,just as it was for MelbourneStorm against Leeds recently,...they know they can beat the Poms whenever they want to,....There is very little coverage in Aussie newspapers about these games,we are more intersted in the 'real' OPPOSITION the Kiwis,they give us the headaches,not the poms,they (England) have nearly 40 years to make up on the difference between us and them....maybe the Aussies might be interested in the monetary remunerations coming from these games,but I guess that is about all,...I am a bit worried now that we have beaten the English club champions twice in a row on their own middens the interest might diminish in England and only a handful of spectators may turn up in future years making it non-viable for the Aussies to turn up....It is a well known fact that when the Aussies play the Poms in England in a three test series they have to loose one of the first two tests otherwise if England were 2-0 down they would be lucky to get more than 7 or 8 thousand through the turnstiles for the "dead rubber match"
[/b][/quote]
You don't have a brother called Dale do you?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Mar 9 2010, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do people (non-Aus) really watch/play RL?[/b]
England has an alright following, it's getting bigger in Wales.
I presume the south of France is alright (my parents live near Perpignan, and theres loads of Catalans Dragons stuff everywhere/people in jerseys, but that's the local area, so i don't know about the rest of France)

Club RL is about on par with Club Union in the top flight, although there's no mainstream support because the international game is literally non-existant. (The first person to talk about the <strike>tri-nations</strike> "world cup" gets a big fat 'F-off' pointed at them).

In Aus, League is much bigger compared to Union, but NRL isn't that much bigger then Super League if at all. It's the exact same bullshit debate as "Super 14 vs Heineken Cup" - The different playing conditions affect the way the games are played in the 2 different competitions, so the colder and wetter northern hemisphere is more heavy going so forward orientated while the warmer and dryer south is suited to faster play. Although NRL is better then <strike>Super</strike> Lazy 14 these days.

It may be supposedly the same sport they play, but you're not comparing apples with apples.

Latest posts