• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Club Challenge

Well that was a bit of an anti-climax.

Whats so amazing about Israel Folau again? [/b]

Watch the NRL this season and come back and you will know. :)

Would be interesting to see this game nearer the middle of Melbourne's season... impossible I know but meh. [/b]

Exactly WCC is slanted towards pommy clubs they get there with full proper competitive games underneath there belt and the NRL it is most likely there first or second hit out.

A good game I thought despite the conditions.
Much kudos to Melbourne for coming over, showing great respect and representing the NRL with honour. [/b]

Yes im quite proud of my boys they didnt do anything half-arsed and gave there all.

<div class='quotemain'> Well that was a bit of an anti-climax.

He's from the Southern Hemisphere. :rolleyes:

[/b][/quote]

Oh FFS :toss:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Well that was a bit of an anti-climax.

He's from the Southern Hemisphere. :rolleyes:

[/b][/quote]

Yes, our SH players are so incredibly over rated aye Dan. The NRL teams have had a pretty bad time in these WCCs (and lets not pretend that the SL don't have even a little bit of an advantage), but remind me how many series GB has won against the Kangaroos in the last 50 years ;) . In any case Folau was a rising star last year, but really just a boy still (only 18 years of age), in reality Inglis was their biggest strike weapon...
But yeah an 11-4 victory with a number of games under their belt and played in their own backyard... sounds like Melbourne really got humiliated in this one :rolleyes: . [/b][/quote]

Hehe well put mate your not bad for an easts fan. :p

I'am really proud of the boys they put up a good fight against a team that is battle hardened and had proper preparation and did not disgrace themselves. Any chance of a free flowing game was scuppered by england shitty weather but we coped well in the conditions.

Now for melbourne to go back to back and have the WCC at the telstra dome or the MCG! (it can be played in Australia now cant it?). B)

Temana, we are talking about a professional sport. Attitudes aside, each team should strive to win every single game, no matter where, when or why it is being played.

I think its quite unreasonable to say the only reason the English have won more games in the WCC is because they have taken it more seriously. This is not the case. There are many factors including home advantage and being in the middle of the season...HOWEVER, we can't cry foul about that rubbish forever. The dominant factor is that they have overall been better. The reasons for being better don't matter. The bottom line is all that counts.
[/b]

Maybe but the day they start playing them in Ozzie at the start of the SL season in muggy Queensland, the Bronco's will run all over them. Maybe unfair comment about the seriousness of sport. Look at all the examples of pro atheletes not caring whether they win or lose. In an ideal world yeah they would do all things to win the gamethose things reality is that they do all sorts of things Joey Johns, Marion Jones, Randy Moss, The Shaq, The guy Ryder the cricketer sure they strove for the victory but the other factors play a part. Way off topic here sorry.

<div class='quotemain'>
Temana, we are talking about a professional sport. Attitudes aside, each team should strive to win every single game, no matter where, when or why it is being played.

I think its quite unreasonable to say the only reason the English have won more games in the WCC is because they have taken it more seriously. This is not the case. There are many factors including home advantage and being in the middle of the season...HOWEVER, we can't cry foul about that rubbish forever. The dominant factor is that they have overall been better. The reasons for being better don't matter. The bottom line is all that counts.
[/b]

Maybe but the day they start playing them in Ozzie at the start of the SL season in muggy Queensland, the Bronco's will run all over them. Maybe unfair comment about the seriousness of sport. Look at all the examples of pro atheletes not caring whether they win or lose. In an ideal world yeah they would do all things to win the gamethose things reality is that they do all sorts of things Joey Johns, Marion Jones, Randy Moss, The Shaq, The guy Ryder the cricketer sure they strove for the victory but the other factors play a part. Way off topic here sorry.
[/b][/quote]

By the way hats off to Leeds. Bluey Mclenana well done another fine victory to add to the tri nations ***le. For a man that doesn't seem overly articulate he sure gets results and also Leeds is a powerful club. Caps off

Exactly WCC is slanted towards pommy clubs they get there with full proper competitive games underneath there belt and the NRL it is most likely there first or second hit out. [/b]

Of course it is. It's our fault that Australian teams refuse to have a couple of pre season games before the season. Fair play to Melbourne, they organised a match, a match which will have delighted Halifax and given them a much needed cash boost, but at the end of the day the Australian champions know this match is coming and it is their responsibility to get themselves organised.

Pommy slant my arse.

WCC is a farce! It wasn't enough that the SL clubs must play it in England and with there season underway but now they want it played at the SL clubs home ground! If Rugby League were serious they would be in a neutral venue, somewhere like Japan or Argentina where the game can grow, opps hang on, we can't have Rugby League growing now can we? I love to watch league but I can't get over this attitude of the IRLB to keep the game to themselves. Its insane! WCC show be a showcase of RL for the Rest of The World who know nothing but Football and Rugby Union. Come on clubs (both NRL and SL) and the IRLB, stop mucking about and lets have some decent decsions!

WCC is a farce! It wasn't enough that the SL clubs must play it in England and with there season underway but now they want it played at the SL clubs home ground! If Rugby League were serious they would be in a neutral venue, somewhere like Japan or Argentina where the game can grow, opps hang on, we can't have Rugby League growing now can we? I love to watch league but I can't get over this attitude of the IRLB to keep the game to themselves. Its insane! WCC show be a showcase of RL for the Rest of The World who know nothing but Football and Rugby Union. Come on clubs (both NRL and SL) and the IRLB, stop mucking about and lets have some decent decsions!
[/b]

I think you'll find that all SL clubs would jump at the opportunity to play the game in Aus. It's not the English clubs or the SL that is holding back the WCC... the finger of blame lies purely at the Aus end of things.

Roy Masters in The Sydney Morning Herald:
The reigning NRL premiers the Melbourne Storm have just returned from England where they played the Super League premiers, the Leeds Rhinos in the World Club Challenge losing 11-4.
On a wild and windy night, the game drew a crowd of 33,000 and a gate of more than 1 millon pounds ($2.2 million AUD). The winners Leeds, were paid Fifty Thousand pounds and the losers Twentry Five thousand pounds but the Storm also received 26 business-class air fares and accomodation.
The NRL was also guaranteed twenty five thousand pounds.
If this annual fixture was played in Sydney in late Fenbruary, a crowd of perhaps 20,000 would pay only enough to meet expenses and, given the exchange rate, the English champions would go home with nothing

If Aus wants to take the WCC seriously then it's time to throw their hat and their dollars into the ring my friend.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I think you'll find that all SL clubs would jump at the opportunity to play the game in Aus. It's not the English clubs or the SL that is holding back the WCC... the finger of blame lies purely at the Aus end of things.

Roy Masters in The Sydney Morning Herald:
The reigning NRL premiers the Melbourne Storm have just returned from England where they played the Super League premiers, the Leeds Rhinos in the World Club Challenge losing 11-4.
On a wild and windy night, the game drew a crowd of 33,000 and a gate of more than 1 millon pounds ($2.2 million AUD). The winners Leeds, were paid Fifty Thousand pounds and the losers Twentry Five thousand pounds but the Storm also received 26 business-class air fares and accomodation.
The NRL was also guaranteed twenty five thousand pounds.
If this annual fixture was played in Sydney in late Fenbruary, a crowd of perhaps 20,000 would pay only enough to meet expenses and, given the exchange rate, the English champions would go home with nothing

If Aus wants to take the WCC seriously then it's time to throw their hat and their dollars into the ring my friend. [/b][/quote]
I guess that settles it then doesn't it? In England you'll make money with the WCC, but in Australia (with the current scheduling at least) you'll barely break even... If they counld perhaps organise it so that the WCC could be played 2 weeks after both GFs and have both on the same week, then (providing it was properly publicised) you would probably get a pretty huge crowd in Australia (and if it was a great and close match a few years running then you'd probably get 80k at Telstra Stadium eventually).

Whilst I agree with you SANZAR, that's impossible due to the internationals starting the week after the respective grand finals.

Whilst I agree with you SANZAR, that's impossible due to the internationals starting the week after the respective grand finals. [/b]
Yeah it's a bugger isn't it... It would really be a truly fantastic match if it was played right after both competitions GFs because both teams would be perfectly tuned. Perhaps shortening both comps to 20 rounds?

Well we should get rid of some boring international tests and make this bigger.

Two teams (winner and runner up) from each comp play in two semis where one semi is played in Aus and the other is played in Britain. Ist place from each comp plays at home whilst the second place from each comp travels abroad. Biggest winning margin in the two semis determines the venue for the final.

Financially 70% of gatetakings go to the winner on the day.

Travelling team pay for their own tickets and accomodation (makes them want even more to not come second in their domestic comp and to win their semi with the biggest possible margin).

Play this format twice a year at the end of each competitions season to even out the end/beginning season debate.

Yeah its all about money...well well here we are again. Sometimes you actually have to spend money to make it. Most people in the world have little to no interest in Rugby League because it doesn't get outside of England or Australia. If the yanks have taught us anything it is you must get your product in the face of the world for them to take notice. Getting coverage of Rugby League to the world would greatly increase the cash flow in the long run. Take China for instance, rugby union is growing at a silly rate because the IRB took the time to send some coaches.

My point is that the WCC should be a showcase to the world and that money shouldn't matter. My advice is take it to Japan and actually advertise what it is and how they can see it and watch the coffers fill! Channel 9 here in OZ hardly gave any indication that the WCC was on and I live in QLD! What chance has anyone got of watching a great game of footy?!

my favourate WCC was Leeds V Dogs in 05. Leeds won it. but the dogs came storming home... i remember the build up with that big enfocer guy Ryan Bailey who spent time in prison for assault. i remember SBW ran riot and handed out some massive hits. stunning for a 19 yr old

Latest posts