Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Here's an update on the incident:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Ex-Bok-speaks-on-hijacking-20141203

"It was around 15:00. I was on my way to one of my pharmacies in Irene when I saw three men standing in front of me in the street. One indicated for me to stop. I thought something was wrong so I slowed down. The next moment a massive rock flew through the window on the passenger side. The second one hit me on the left side of the head."

Strydom then got out of his car, before the hijackers took his keys and attacked him further. However, they retreated when the former Springbok fought back.

"I screamed loudly: 'God help me, God help me!' Then they got bewildered and ran away."

During the scuffle, one of the robbers stabbed him in the shoulder blade with either a knife or screwdriver. The robbers took off with Strydom's car keys before he called a friend, Riaan van Zyl, who brought the spare keys. Strydom then drove himself to hospital.

Speed recovery for the big fella, those good old rugby days with the Boks helped him definitely defending off the hijackers.

Well, there you have it. The ****hole that is South Africa.

Well, there you have it. The ****hole that is South Africa.

Yeah, incidents like that are all too common. Most of them aren't even considered newsworthy because they happen to ordinary people. Best of luck to Hannes in his recovery.

Yeah, incidents like that are all too common. Most of them aren't even considered newsworthy because they happen to ordinary people. Best of luck to Hannes in his recovery.

I remember when Lucky Dube was killed in SA couldn't believe it.

Latest posts