• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby announce relief fund for cash-strapped nations

Tooting Carmen

First XV
TRF Legend
Cash-strapped Rugby Australia is set to benefit from a World Rugby relief fund.

World Rugby on Thursday announced a relief fund of $US100 million ($A158 million) as the coronavirus pandemic continues to wreck havoc on sporting events and organisations.

The fund, comprising advances and loans, will be available for Six Nations and SANZAAR unions requiring immediate emergency funding, subject to criteria being met.

The package could be worth around $15 million to RA, who have already made extensive cuts to their administration and may finalise an interim pay deal with the Rugby Union Players' Association as soon as Friday.

RA, which is understood to be seeking a 65 per cent pay cut for players over a six-month period, could lose up to $120 million in revenue if the professional game can't resume in Australia this year because of COVID-19.

"Global sport is facing a crisis never seen before and we are taking unprecedented action as a sport united to support global rugby, its unions, competitions and players," said World Rugby chairman Bill Beaumont.

"The measures announced today will provide support and short-term relief, while we are making excellent progress towards calendar options that reflect and address a dynamic, complex and uncertain environment."

World Rugby initially flagged a revised Test program in their press release, saying that if the July fixtures in the southern hemisphere were postponed, which seems likely, they would be moved to October.

But it remains unclear whether this is still the intention.

Australia had three home Tests on the slate for July, two against Ireland and one with Fiji.

My big question: why only the SANZAAR and Six Nations countries? The other unions, if anything, are even poorer, especially the Pacific Islands.

Really need to look after the unions not within those groups, it's not fair or in the interest of the game otherwise

"For 6 Nations and SANZAAR unions, the financial package will potentially involve a combination of advances and loans, while World Rugby is also committed to supporting emerging nations and regional associations where required."

My question is, what are the supports for emerging nations and regional associations if not advances and loans? My guess is that World Rugby are willing to advance money that SANZAAR and 6 Nations countries demonstrably would have earned money from their competitions, but will take it on a case by case basis for the emerging nations who didn't have the same relatively stable annual cash flow from a major tournament. I may well be talking out my hoop here, but what do others think? I think the fund is ultimately there to ensure that no union big or small goes under, despite the strange wording.

Maybe they don't expect it back from smaller countries?
Covering a 20k loss from Bulgaria vs Spain vs a 2m loss from England vs New Zealand are two different ballparks.

Though I concede that that is blind optimism and it's more likely that Sanzaar/6N are guaranteed the loans/advances while the other nations have to jump through a bunch of hoops for them.

Keeping Tier 1 nations afloat is going to be their No 1 priority, rightly or wrongly. Whenever all this is over rugby as a whole is going to need the big guns firing to get as much cash in as possible. From their perspective, money they throw at SA/Ireland/ whoever is money they know they'll get back whearas throwing money at all the Tier 2 counties could well turn out to be money down the drain. Or it could be good old fashioned cliqueism and nepotism. Either way, I hope everyone at all levels of the game is okay and gets through it.

I'll say it straight up. That money won't even make a dent in fixing the issues.
NZ and Aus are in an extremely bad place. Ireland are meeting today to bring in a new interpro series to try earn cash.

This may be the pathway to a European league with 2 or 3 divisions and a knockout cup.

IRFU figures are scary and we are one of the nations not in dire straits

Latest posts