• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby U20 Championship

Squad named.

Props
Greg McGrath (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
Charlie Connolly (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
Joey Conway (UL Bohemians RFC/Munster)
Peter Cooper (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Jordan Duggan (Naas RFC/Leinster)*

Hookers
Ronan Kelleher (UCD RFC/Leinster)
Tadgh McElroy (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)

Locks
Oisin Dowling (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
Jack Regan (UCD RFC/Leinster)
Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster RFC/Munster)

Backrow
Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster)
John Foley (Shannon RFC/Munster)
Gavin Coombes (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
Sean Masterson (Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
Marcus Rea (Queen's University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
Paul Boyle (Lansdowne FC/Leinster) Captain

9s
Jack Stafford (Shannon RFC/Munster)
Jonathan Stewart (Queen's University Belfast RFC/Ulster)

10s
Angus Curtis (Queen's University Belfast RFC/Ulster)*
Conor Dean (UCD RFC/Leinster)*
Alan Tynan (Young Munster/Munster)*

Outside backs
Ciaran Frawley (St.Mary's College/Leinster)
Colm Hogan (Dublin University FC/Munster)
Jack Kelly (Dublin University FC/Leinster)
David McCarthy (Garryowen FC/Munster)*
Gavin Mullin (UCD RFC/Leinster)
Calvin Nash (Young Munster/Munster)
Michael Silvester (Dublin University FC/Leinster)*

*New caps

U19s
Duggan
Kelleher
Doris
Stewart
Curtis
Dean
McCarthy
Sylvester

My guess from what Jones has said is that we wait too long before we get real talent into the squad, we have operated on a "wait your turn" basis. Jones obviously want to to look for players who aren't simply good now but who he thinks will be genuinely world class in the future and I guess he looks at many older players and either doesn't see them still being ahead in 2 years time or he already knows what they offer so wants to see if he can find those who might challenge them. Either way I think this is exactly what these tours are supposed to be for, finding the young talent and throwing them in at the deep end. Think how Itoje was introduced and now he is an integral part of the England squad. What's to say in a years time me might not have a Curry x2 + Billy back row for example? The number of flankers makes sense as it is a definite weakness for us but not looking at 9 or 15 seems odd. Youngs and Brown are definitely not world class.

We are looking at 9? OK Care may be starting but Maunder will definitely get game time off the bench.

Similarly, the fact that there are only 3 locks in the squad more or less guarantees that Isiekwe will be playing too.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that Robshaw, Wood and Haskell have been selected to pass on their experience to the Currys and Underhill as much as they have to play. I think we'll see at least one of the youngsters get a start or at worst a decent amount of time off the bench. If I were Eddie I'd be asking the three of them to fight for a starting spot against the Barbarians with one of the others on the bench. Whoever shows up best gets the gig in Argentina.

Also worth bearing in mind that the Barbarians back row will probably be Armitage, Dusautoir and Isa. OK two of those are past their best, but it's still a big challenge.

Re. the U20s, I think Mercer is there because we already have a top-class option at 8 and a capable reserve in the squad.

That's not the case for the flankers. Barring injury, Robshaw will be in the 6 shirt, but there isn't an established back-up. 7 is very much up for grabs.

Will Evans out of the comp. FFS

Dino Lamb replaces him.

Squad is starting to look weaker and weaker IMO, if only Eddie had left one curry!!!!!!!!!!!! Also a flanker pairing of Lamb Curry would of been perfect.

and that is a very dangerous NZ side.

First teams landed
DArTnM2WAAAyWRQ.jpg

DArTnM3WAAY2jSE.jpg

DAgQm7BWAAEwbr4.jpg

DAu1jRDUQAEzTSv.jpg

DBD7k7gXsAEKePU.jpg

Brophy-Clews in and captain over Mercer. Didn't expect that.

Malins left on the bench is odd, thought he took apart the U20 six nations before being called up by his club.

Unfortunately not as well broadcast as they have been recently, ITV are showing the highlights, and will broadcast the semi's onwards.

Otherwise you can watch all of the games on WR's website.

Jr Bok team named;

15 Manie Libbok, 14 Yaw Penxe, 13 Stedman Gans, 12 David Brits, 11 Wandisile Simelane, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Rewan Kruger, 8 Juarno Augustus, 7 Ernst van Rhyn (captain), 6 Zain Davids, 5 Ruben van Heerden, 4 Salmaan Moerat, 3 Carlu Sadie, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp

Substitutes: 16 Kwenzo Blose, 17 Daniel Jooste, 18 Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, 19 Hendre Stassen, 20 Nama Xaba, 21 Francois de Villiers, 22 Damian Willemse, 23 Gianni Lombard

I feel that on paper at least this side looks closer to being on a par with the side that won it in SA.. that's already a couple of years back wow.

I think this will be shown on Super Sport tonight. Will keep an eye out. The wife is out tonight so its full on beerfest in the undies and hoping to see some good rugby from the youngsters.

Unfortunately not as well broadcast as they have been recently, ITV are showing the highlights, and will broadcast the semi's onwards.

Otherwise you can watch all of the games on WR's website.
Hmmmm what a shame ... used to really enjoy watching that

Wooooo, I see we tied with France in a game we (readng the footnotes) had no right to do so. Man, can't believe I missed it.

Anyone saw it and got time to give an impression?

Italy beat Ireland 22-21. What a brilliant game and it was no more than Italy deserved after that first half. Ireland missed a last second penalty so poor bloke, he'll be gutted.
Well done Italy though, their first win since 2014 at this level

Wooooo, I see we tied with France in a game we (readng the footnotes) had no right to do so. Man, can't believe I missed it.

Game started off really slippery with a thunderstorm overhead, wind was roaring from right to left in boks favour. We hit early and got a try followed by a Bosch penalty, but then things went pear-shaped from there. France played some great rugby and a charged kick on our line lead to a try for them and ignited their game. Lots of spills and slips. French had outstanding ball retention (not one steal on the ground iirc) and used their forwards extremely well, we spent most of the first half camped in our 22. 2 french tries and 2 drop goals had us eventually down 16 - 23 with 20 mins left on the clock. Those last 20 was spent getting to the french 22 then being sent back to ours, eventually we got a driving maul on their 10m which was nearly a try which the french collapsed illegally. Driving maul was reset and after about 4 phases we got over, Bosch leveled it and game over. The wind was a factor as most up-and-unders went backwards and Curwin's monster kicks corkscrewed wildly which gave us trouble exciting the 22. Our scrums were very good resulting in at least 3 penalties. For some reason we only set up 3 mauls iirc, first one went about 20-30m, second was collapsed and third lead to a try. The French defence was really flat and it gave us alot of problems, one feels their game plan was much better than SA. I think that we can definitely build from here, but it must be said that the French had us here and would have won if they stuck to their game plan. There was also 2 yellow cards for us, first was a trip by our wing and second was repeated infringements on our try line.
Edit to add: Our forwards are typical Saffa forward, strong, good scrummagers. Unfortunately the backs didn't get much chance to shine due to the French defence but the tactical kicking and scramble defence was on point. Alot of the trouble of this game came from nerves and the conditions I rate, hopefully the Georgia game will be more subdued

Last edited:
Italy beat Ireland 22-21. What a brilliant game and it was no more than Italy deserved after that first half. Ireland missed a last second penalty so poor bloke, he'll be gutted.
Well done Italy though, their first win since 2014 at this level
Didn't see the game but by all accounts Italy were dominant in the first half and deserved their win.

Ireland were severely depleted by injuries and omissions to key players. Hopefully their replacements have learned a few lessons from this defeat.

I know nothing about the players or the match and am always reluctant to read anything into age grade rugby. But I'll take this positive for Italy. They must be doing something not completely wrong to produce this result surely, even if Ireland were badly weakened.

I hope to goodness there was a decent centre in there who might be an outside option for RWC 2019. Decent locks, props and a number 8 would also be on the wishlist.

They had a good SH last year.

Theyir u20's haven't been awful in the last couple of years.

The weather was terrible! Couldn't play our expansive game, and when we tried, we kept on losing the ball. Wind affected our kicks and we made silly errors.

If this was a dry game, we would have won, we had the pace, but the weather made it a real leveler

I know nothing about the players or the match and am always reluctant to read anything into age grade rugby. But I'll take this positive for Italy. They must be doing something not completely wrong to produce this result surely, even if Ireland were badly weakened.

I hope to goodness there was a decent centre in there who might be an outside option for RWC 2019. Decent locks, props and a number 8 would also be on the wishlist.
The stand out players for them from the backs was fly half, full back and centre. All were excellent throughout, the commentator was saying that the left winger was the 'danger man' but he didn't really get enough of the ball to make enough of an impact really.
The number 8 was very good, he carried very well. I think I've heard about him before and that he's a good prospect. The locks were decent enough. The captain was a prop so I don't know if that says anything but he carried well. Also the scrum for Italy in the latter stages of the game was very strong which is the opposite to the senior team which starts well in the scrum then falls apart towards the end

Latest posts