• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby u20 Championship

Great try to be fair, kick through was perfect.

Congrats to France, they've had an excellent tournament. Their pack is straight up immense, if they can carry that through to senior level then they'll be a real force in the future

French front 8 reminiscent of the French packs of the 70s and 80s - awesome in the tight - truly.

Our penalty count is just as grim here as at full international level - endemic problem within English rugby...?

So question is how many of the England under 20 team can peeps see in, say the next 4 years, making the jump up to the senior team?

So question is how many of the England under 20 team can peeps see in, say the next 4 years, making the jump up to the senior team?
For me.
Walker
Heyes
Lewis
Kpoku
Hill
Curry (Obviously)
Willis
Smith
Ibitoye
Olowofela (come at me Rats)

Butler, Hardwick, Dingwall looked good at times, but not sure currently.
Hardwick looked a lot better at 12 than 10.
Butler and Dingwall both solid but havn't yet shown any X factor.

For me.
Walker
Heyes
Lewis
Kpoku
Hill
Curry (Obviously)
Willis
Smith
Ibitoye
Olowofela (come at me Rats)

Butler, Hardwick, Dingwall looked good at times, but not sure currently.
Hardwick looked a lot better at 12 than 10.
Butler and Dingwall both solid but havn't yet shown any X factor.

In the next 4 years??? Thats a lot of players

Obviously they've been up against a significantly different quality of competition, but Ben seems noticeably better player to me than Tom. Not just throughout this tournament but over the last couple of seasons he's seemed to be the much more physical of the two. Honestly wouldn't be disappointed to see them at 6 and 7 in a few years though.

Ibitoye is a serious athlete. Looked dangerous every time he got the ball, moreso than the likes of Earle or Cokonasiga did at this level. He should be getting significant game time for Quins next season and I can see him leap frogging a few wingers in the England pecking order.

Smith was fairly underwhelming TBH, did very well vs Italy but beyond that hasn't stood out massively. Not bad by any means, but hasn't dominated as much as I was expecting.

Beyond them I've been very impressed by Hill, I really hope that he isn't turned into a second row like Nott was a couple of years back; he's so physical and has a massive workrate, could well be in England contention in not too many years.

England U20 player ratings based on this tornament.
Props
Heyes - 8/10 Very good in the loose and defence, and holds his own in the scrum.
Knight - 6/10 Did the job in a position he's not used to.
Painter - 7/10 Honestly not as good as hyped, outside the scrum doesn't offer much.
Seville - 4/10 Stuggled scrum time, nothing in the loose
Trinder - N/A Didn't feature much due to injury.

Hookers
Cutting - 8/10 Was impressed, solid in the set pieces good work effort.
Oghre - 7/10 Lineouts not great but better, offers a bit in the loose.
Walker - 9/10 Very promising player IMO.

Locks
Kpoku - 9/10 I was very wrong about him.
Lewis - 7/10 Shame his comp was cut short, but was Englands best lineout lock and offered alot out wide.
Scott - 7/10 Typical work horse lock.

Back Row
Basham - 7/10 Solid player, not really an 8 IMO, more a 6.
Curry - 10/10 Made mistakes but excellent in the loose and defence, was a very good captain as well.
Hill - 10/10 IMO the type of Blindside England are desperate for fingers crossed he keeps developing.
Hinkley - 5/10 Didn't see much of him at all.
Willis - 8/10 Added alot of impact when he played reminds me of his brother.

Scrum Half
Brand - 6/10 Adds alot of pace but can be frantic.
White - 5/10 Needs to work on his speed away the brekadown, but very strong.

Fly Half
Grayson - 7/10 Good player.
Smith - 8/10 Tried too much in the final but showed his class in this competition.

Centre
Butler - 6/10 Nothing wrong but nothing WOW
Dingwall - 10/10 Defnece, 6/10 Attack
Hardwick - 7/10 Offered more at 12 than 10, good defender and made use of the width.

Wing
Crossdale - N/A
Ibitoye - 9/10 So So much strength.
loader - 7/10 Just never got a chance behind Ibitoye and Olowfela
Olowofela - 10/10 I'm biased but his stats back it up he's had a great tournament.

Full Back
Parton - 8/10 Very Solid offers alot, Should develop really well with Irish.

Might have forgotten some. (And was pretty generous with the ratings TBH.

Still have at least another year at U20's I believe are.
Heyes
Cutting (I think)
Oghre
Kpoku
Scott
Basham
Hill
Hinkley
Willis
Smith (How insane is that)
Dingwall
Hardwick

Ibitoye is a serious athlete. Looked dangerous every time he got the ball, moreso than the likes of Earle or Cokonasiga did at this level. He should be getting significant game time for Quins next season and I can see him leap frogging a few wingers in the England pecking order.

Disagree with that. Earle was absolutely outstanding in the JWC he played in.

Yes please

Why would we want the French clubs and the national side to get stronger? :p
The union can't sign them a contract, can't pay them and have closed down their players dev centre in Marcoussis

If it wasn't for their clubs these kids wouldn't even play rugby

French front 8 reminiscent of the French packs of the 70s and 80s - awesome in the tight - truly

Didn't see it, but that's music to the ears. Hopefully they warmed up in the traditional way of thumping one another and head butting walls.

Latest posts