• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World XV revisited

Eddie Butler had a good idea in the Observer today - a team for the NH and one for the SH.

Mine based on the AIs

Northern Hemisphere:

1. Fabien Barcella (FRA)
2. William Servat (FRA)
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (ITA)
4. Roman Millo-Chluski (FRA)
5. Paul O'Connell (IRE)
6. Imanol Harnordoquy (FRA)
7. Thierry Dusautoir (FRA)
8. Jamie Heaslip (IRE)
9. Julien Dupuy (FRA)
10. Stephen Jones (WAL)
11. Vincent Clerc (FRA)
12. Yannick Jauzion (FRA)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (IRE)
14. Tommy Bowe (IRE)
15. Rob Kearney (IRE)

with an honourable mention for Gethin Jenkins

Southern Hemisphere:

1. Tony Woodcock (NZ)
2. Stephen Moore (AUS)
3. Ben Alexander (AUS)
4. Brad Thorn (NZ)
5. Victor Matfield (SA)
6. David Pocock (AUS) yaya I know he's a 7 but who cares
7. Richie McCaw (NZ)
8. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (ARG)
9. Will Genia (AUS)
10. Dan Carter (NZ)
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu (NZ)
12. Matt Giteau (AUS)
13. Conrad Smith (NZ)
14. Corey Jane (NZ)
15. Mils Muliaina (NZ)

with honourable mentions for Heinrich Brussow and Adam Ashley-Cooper.

That Europe team is probably picked perfectly. Would have done the it the same myself.

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Jerry Flannery (meh)
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Simon Shaw (Just a personal fave, Botha or POC realistically)
5. Victor Matfield
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Richie McCaw (Capt)
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Dan Carter
11. Brian Habana
12. Matt Giteau
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Bitta bias. Might not have put in Kearney or Heaslip before Saturday. Flannery is a stab in the dark cause I dunno much about hookers in the SH

1-Tony Woodcock
2-Bismark du Plessis
3-Owen Franks
4-Bakkies Botha
5-Brad Thorn
6-Heinrich Brussow
7-Richie McCaw
8-Pierre Spies (Tough choice here, Spies is better naturally, but Kieran Read has been the better player).

9-Fourie du Preez
10-Dan Carter
11-Sitiveni Sivivatu
12-Matt Giteau
13-Conrad Smith
14-Bryan Habana (again Many other wingers may have played better, but still a dangerous weapon to have).
15-Mils Muliaina

16-Andrew Hore
17-John Smit
18-Victor Matfield
19-George Smith

20-Jimmy Cowan
21-Morne Steyn
22-Ma'a Nonu/Adam Ashley-Cooper

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (admartian @ Nov 30 2009, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1-Tony Woodcock
2-Bismark du Plessis
3-Owen Franks
4-Bakkies Botha
5-Brad Thorn
6-Heinrich Brussow
7-Richie McCaw
8-Pierre Spies (Tough choice here, Spies is better naturally, but Kieran Read has been the better player).

9-Fourie du Preez
10-Dan Carter
11-Sitiveni Sivivatu
12-Matt Giteau
13-Conrad Smith
14-Bryan Habana (again Many other wingers may have played better, but still a dangerous weapon to have).
15-Mils Muliaina

16-Andrew Hore
17-John Smit
18-Victor Matfield
19-George Smith

20-Jimmy Cowan
21-Morne Steyn
22-Ma'a Nonu/Adam Ashley-Cooper[/b]

Uh, it's a WORLD XV, not a SH XV... :huh:

My final list is...

1) Fabien Barcella
2) John smit
3) Martin Castrogiovanni
4) POC
5) Victor Matfield
6) Heinrich Brussouw
7) Richie McCaw
8) Jamie Heaslip

9) Fourie du Preez

10) Dan Carter
11) Bryan Habana
12) Matt Giteau
13) Brian O' Driscoll
14) Tommy Bowe
15) Mils Muliaina

From the Guardian (UK not Irish Paper) today;

Robert Kitson says;
1. Jenkins
2. Hore
3. Hayman
4. Shaw
5. Matfield
6. Lobbe
7. Parisse
8. McCaw
9. Du Preez
10. Carter
11. Sivivatu
12. Giteau
13. O'Driscoll
14. Habana
15. Kearney

Eddie Butler says;
1. Woodcock
2. Hore
3. Alexander
4. Thorn
5. O'Connell
6. Elsom
7. McCaw
8. Lobbe
9. Genia
10. Carter
11. Sivivatu
12. Nonu
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

Mike Averis says;
1. Genkins
2. Ledesma
3. Heyman
4. Shaw
5. AW Jones
6. Dusautoir
7. McCaw
8. Parisse
9. Phillips
10. Carter
11. Bowe
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Ngwenya
15. Hernandez

Paul Rees says;
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Castrogiovanni
4. Shaw
5. O'Connell
6. Moody
7. McCaw
8. Lobbe
9. Genia
10. Carter
11. Sivivatu
12. Cooper
13. O'Driscoll
14. Clerc
15. Muliaina

Well whoever Mike Averis is, seems an absolute tard.

Hernandez, out of position, having not played during the autumn?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Nov 30 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not one South African in 3 of those teams? Astonishing.[/b]

And yeah, pretty dopey choices allover the place.

I don't get this Genia hypeing. He started, I dunno, 2 matches in the tri nations. Played fairly well. Then had an alright tour...but wait! He had a class game against a fairly dismall England team and all of a sudden he's the next George Gregan and on 2/4 World XVs to Dupreez's 1/4. Not saying he's a not a good player, but give me a break.

British Hype machine again.

Edit: In response to Jericho's discontent. Well, yeah it's a bit (a lot) imbalanced, but if it is based solely on the AIs (which at least one of them can't be due to the Mike Phillips and Hernandez selections...but that guy was watching last years matches or something) then it makes a little bit more sense.

I was wondering if certain Guardian pundits were smoking crack at the time of printing, but thought it was worth throwing it up there anyhoo.

With regards to the South African contingent I dont think, givent their recent form there are many that deserve a place in there. Your front 5 are well below the level they set themselves, the backrow is sorely missing Spies and Smith (Kankowski isnt suited to wet weather), and not one back outside of Steyn at 10 seems to see the ball anymore.

Who else but DuPreez would get in at the moment?

At the moment, all i would have there is Brussouw and du Preez. It's beyond me how not one of those guys had Brussouw there. I would probably also play Spies if he were fit. So yeah. Those would be my 3 picks.

EDIT: Habana too...

I'd love to know why so may people are picking Heyman as their tighthead. On song he's a class act, but this year any sane person couldn't even call him the best tighthead in his league, let alone the world.

I'd go with Habana (maybe) and DuPreez (close with Philips) but Spies no, and Brussouw is kinda being found out if you ask me. He's had a huge impact on the game (the first 100% jackal) but teams have worked out how to play him.

I think he got the grand total of two turnovers against Ireland and conceeded two or three penalties. That was against a team with no Fetcher at all. As they are both opensides, McCaw would have to be in there ahead of him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Nov 30 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Nov 30 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not one South African in 3 of those teams? Astonishing.[/b]

And yeah, pretty dopey choices allover the place.

I don't get this Genia hypeing. He started, I dunno, 2 matches in the tri nations. Played fairly well. Then had an alright tour...but wait! He had a class game against a fairly dismall England team and all of a sudden he's the next George Gregan and on 2/4 World XVs to Dupreez's 1/4. Not saying he's a not a good player, but give me a break.

British Hype machine again.

Edit: In response to Jericho's discontent. Well, yeah it's a bit (a lot) imbalanced, but if it is based solely on the AIs (which at least one of them can't be due to the Mike Phillips and Hernandez selections...but that guy was watching last years matches or something) then it makes a little bit more sense.
[/b][/quote]

Dissapointing but fair enough, I guess. FdP still looks good even playing an average game but he got stiff competitionfrom Dupuy and Genia and to be fair, France beat us and Genia was in the winning side more often than not. Usual stars like Matfield looked out of sorts, Spies and Botha out injured (Botha looked bothered as well). Habana had to looking for work. Steyn had a horrible tour. Looking for replacements to JdV and F Steyn. Bismark on the bench. Front row rearranged. Jacque Fourie played pretty well but not enough to beat Conrad Smith for the AI 13 jersey IMO.

All in all only Brussouw should be there. He played better than McCaw IMO and if he weren't there, SA would have had at least 14 extra points scored against them by FRA and as much against IRE. As for Pocock? The guy played half a game brilliantly. Would rather go for Lewis Moody but then again it looks like the only guy to get consistently chosen out of struggling teams is Castrogiovani who I think should take a spot behind BJ Botha personally. Unluckies: Lewis Moody, Brussouw, Lobbe, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Hore and the entire AUS front row (they take the cake for performances in the loose IMO)

Heavily based on the Springboks :D
Oh, yeah, 6 in RSA is 7 in most other places
So I guess if Bruussow played for the AB's he'd knock McCas out of the number 7 jersey

Anyways
WITHOUT bias (cause then Id basically name the Springboks team because theyd make a perfect dream team anyway)

1)Tendai Mtawarira
2)Bismarck du Plessis
3)John Smit
4)Bakkies Botha
5)Victor Matfield
6)Heinrich Brussow
7)Rocky Elsom (flankers are done in the South African style)
8)Pierre Spies
9)Fourie du Preez
10)Morne Steyn
11)Daisuke Ohato
12)Brian Lima
13)Brian O'Driscoll
14)Bryan Habana
15)Percy Montgomery
(I know Lima and Montgomery have reitred) -_- :/

16)Omar Hasan
17)Andrew Sheridan
18)Schalke Burger
19)Jano Vermaak
20)Ronan O' Gara
21)Jean de Villiers
22)Francois Steyn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dexter Tauvao @ Dec 10 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So I guess if Bruussow played for the AB's he'd knock McCas out of the number 7 jersey

Anyways
WITHOUT bias (cause then Id basically name the Springboks team because theyd make a perfect dream team anyway)

1)Tendai Mtawarira
2)Bismarck du Plessis
3)John Smit
4)Bakkies Botha
5)Victor Matfield
6)Heinrich Brussow
8)Pierre Spies
9)Fourie du Preez
10)Morne Steyn
11)Daisuke Ohato
12)Brian Lima
13)Brian O'Driscoll
14)Bryan Habana
15)Percy Montgomery

16)Omar Hasan
17)Andrew Sheridan
18)Schalke Burger
19)Jano Vermaak
20)Ronan O' Gara
21)Jean de Villiers
22)Francois Steyn[/b]

Many others but, seriously, him and no Carter.

Mentalist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dexter Tauvao @ Dec 10 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Anyways

1)Tendai Mtawarira
2)Bismarck du Plessis
3)John Smit
4)Bakkies Botha
5)Victor Matfield
6)Heinrich Brussow
8)Pierre Spies
9)Fourie du Preez
10)Morne Steyn
11)Daisuke Ohato
12)Brian Lima

13)Brian O'Driscoll
14)Bryan Habana
15)Percy Montgomery

16)Omar Hasan
17)Andrew Sheridan
18)Schalke Burger
19)Jano Vermaak
20)Ronan O' Gara
21)Jean de Villiers
22)Francois Steyn[/b]

.... wut?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 30 2009, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Nov 26 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think we'll see any SH guys putting Elsom at 6? I doubt it.

1 Barcella
2 Hore
3 Hayman

4 Botha
5 Matfield

6 ???
7 McCaw
8 Parrise

9 du Preez
10 Carter

11 Sivivatu
12 Giteau
13 O'Driscoll
14 Habana
15 Muliaina

- I didn't pick Castro, because although he's played well, after the NZ/Italy game I'm not convinced his scrummaging is perfectly legal.
- Sivivatu is one of the busiest wingers in the world, and can easily create something from nothing.
- I'm not sure about the Center pairing, as both players are fairly small (as with the rest of the backline), which could be worrying, so maybe Mortlock in there somewhere.

Honorable Mentions - Woodcock, du Plessis, Thorn, Brussow, Jones, Roberts[/b]

Okay, so nobody at 6 then? Typical SH arrogance. Just because Elsom has an outstanding season at Leinster after not exactly setting the world alight in S14 that means the NH leagues are easier and he's not a great no.6. Tell that to Robbie Deans who obviously saw something in him to make him the Wallabies captain.
[/b][/quote]

I never said anything about an inferior competition. He just hasn't played great for anyone but Leinster. Until you prove yourself at International level I don't see how you can be picked in a World XV, and in my opinion he hasn't proven himself as any better than other flankers. You call me arrogant for making a fair assumption, when you're the one spouting off stupid remarks about how I'm assuming the NH leagues are easier.

I have to agree with the above re Elsom. Personally i think there are planty more I'd pick at the moment even out of position. Ahead at the mo IMO and possibly out of position: Imanol Harinordoquy, JMF Lobbe, Thierry Dusautoir off the top of my head. This is going to sound very arrogant but I would also select a new player from the Cheetahs as a bolter. Look out for Frans viljoen for the Freestate Cheetahs in next year's Super 14 although he might get benched behind captain Juan Smith unless either Smith moves to lock and/or Adriaan Strauss retains the captaincy he had during Smith's injuries this year.

Latest posts