Would you pay £2000 for a smart phone?

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions

Just announced by Samsung and available in April. So would you? Even on contract?

Looks like a superb phone but no phone with a lifespan of 2/3 years is worth that

I just spent £1099 on the S10+.

FML

Honestly the foldable phone is the first of it's gen, of course it will be pricey.
But the phone aspect of it looks like crap.

I was thinking along the same line. What should the lifespan be for me to consider buying this?

I think 3 years and then use it as part exchange it; should be worth £4-500 by then? Maybe more on e-bay or if kept worth more in 10-15 years time as the first of its kind. Like those who keep 1st gen iPhone etc.

It is 1st gen and aimed at techophiles who must have the newest and greatest. Agree with Tigs not sold on the smartphone aspect of it. That part of it the screen does not look fully utilised.

Best Smartphone company IMO is OnePlus. I bought a OnePlus 3 two months after the Brexit vote for £340 (annoyingly it went up £20 from their original price before the vote).

The phone is still going nearly 3 years later and has not let me down. At the time of its release it was equal to the most recent release from Apple and Samsung in terms of SPECS but nearly a third of the price.

I do struggle to think why people would spent so much on phones which only last a few years.

It would depend on the value of 2k to me and how I wish to spend my disposable income.
As an older guy I've just 8k o a motorbike just for weekend rides in summer.
To some this is daft to me it's my cash I spend as I wish.
To me No but as always each to own.

I brought my 6+ Like 4/5 years ago and it's still going strong.

I know Oneplus is the go to for many of the why are you buying such an expensive phone hipsters but I just don't trust Chinese companies especially when it comes to privacy.

In terms of longevity iPhones knock most phones out of the park especially with software updates.

Samsung is starting to get better than that.

I always buy cheap smartphones. I have a Huawei which cost me about €150 2 years ago. It meets all my needs so why spend more on something I don't need. I'd rather spend it on a decent tablet or PC parts.

A few years ago I walked into a pool in Mexico with my phone in my pocket. Luckily it was a cheap Sony Tipo but I couldn't find a phone shop there.

I've got an S7 and it's still going strong - not slowing down, still runs all apps etc
I switched out my contract to a SIM only, as well, which cost A third of the price of my old contract. Getting a new phone every 18months is such a scam, especially with how much they cost.
Do you bin off your laptop every year and get the new model? That's where we're at now.

I've got an S7 and it's still going strong - not slowing down, still runs all apps etc
I switched out my contract to a SIM only, as well, which cost A third of the price of my old contract. Getting a new phone every 18months is such a scam, especially with how much they cost.
Do you bin off your laptop every year and get the new model? That's where we're at now.

Computer parts are easier to replace.
Also not really as much innovation between Laptops as their is Mobiles.

It would depend on the value of 2k to me and how I wish to spend my disposable income.
As an older guy I've just 8k o a motorbike just for weekend rides in summer.
To some this is daft to me it's my cash I spend as I wish.
To me No but as always each to own.

This.

Totally, if this is worth it the individual. I paid £505 for the last world cup final ticket and familly and friends thought I was nuts paying for it. But to me it was totally worth it.

I don't think Samsung expect to make a great deal of money out of the Fold (when I first saw it announced I read it as Galaxy Ford, lol!!) but just to get that headline grabbing they released the first foldable tablet. In 5 years time the market will be flooded with these type of foldable devices.

I ditched Apple a year ago after the whole 'slowing down the phone' via an iOS update fiasco. I took great care of my iPhone 6 and resented the fact that they adopted such tactics just so that I would get frustrated and buy the new model. I also hated how restrictive Apple products are i.e. buying content that that can only be played on Apple devices. My originally compatible Bose speaker dock and generic chargers suddenly no longer compatible after a software update - WTF.

Switched to a Samsung 9 via a trade in offer (net cost was £550) and am very happy, especially since the recent Android OS update.

I don't think I've ever paid 1/10 of that for a phone; so... it's unlikely.

Of course, post-brexit, and stagflation; £2000 might not buy a loaf of bread; so... never say never I guess.

Best Smartphone company IMO is OnePlus. I bought a OnePlus 3 two months after the Brexit vote for £340 (annoyingly it went up £20 from their original price before the vote).

The phone is still going nearly 3 years later and has not let me down. At the time of its release it was equal to the most recent release from Apple and Samsung in terms of SPECS but nearly a third of the price.

I do struggle to think why people would spent so much on phones which only last a few years.

Keep seeing people raving about OnePlus - are they really that good?

Looking for a new phone as my iPhone 6s is dying a death (conveniently just as its contract is about to end), and leaning towards a OnePlus if I buy a phone outright.

To answer the original question - nah.

My past phones have taken a battering, so would be a bad idea to buy a £2k smartphone. I once dropped a phone off the wall of a German castle while trying to take a picture... shockingly it survived with no more than a bit of a dent in one corner.

I tend to buy sub £200 phones around every 3 years. Last cycle was only 2 but that's because I had an accident in the gym.

Honestly I would imagine most phone carriers will not sell the Fold.
It will be limited style release, with a few months wait time after the initial release.

But for the younger gen a mobile is so much more than just a mobile, it is THE must have thing, you can listen to music, browse the web, do work on it, pay for stuff on it, watch and stream all sorts.
So it is understandable why people do fork out money for it, when they spend a significant amount of time on them.

I'm due an upgrade on my contract next month, if I hadn't smashed my Huawei p9 to bits I'd probably have kept it a while longer, the cheap Nokia I have now to replace it can play music, get all the social media/banking/music etc... apps I need as well as having a great battery but a shite camera is enough for me not to drop my monthly bill by 25 quid. I'll be getting another Huawei, camera on them is steez.

Latest posts