• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would you pay £2000 for a smart phone?

Keep seeing people raving about OnePlus - are they really that good?

Looking for a new phone as my iPhone 6s is dying a death (conveniently just as its contract is about to end), and leaning towards a OnePlus if I buy a phone outright.

To answer the original question - nah.

My past phones have taken a battering, so would be a bad idea to buy a £2k smartphone. I once dropped a phone off the wall of a German castle while trying to take a picture... shockingly it survived with no more than a bit of a dent in one corner.

Your story reminds me of when I was in Berlin on a river cruise and this tourist sat in front of me was taking pictures with his really expensive camera. He was sat leaning over the edge of the boat taking pics when he dropped the camera in the river. He turned to look at his wife in disbelief at what he'd done. On the rest of us on the boat saw and were laughing at him.

Hh
Your story reminds me of when I was in Berlin on a river cruise and this tourist sat in front of me was taking pictures with his really expensive camera. He was sat leaning over the edge of the boat taking pics when he dropped the camera in the river. He turned to look at his wife in disbelief at what he'd done. On the rest of us on the boat saw and were laughing at him.

Haha luckily only me (then) girlfriend saw it, so saved some embarrassment at least..

I still have a Nokia brick, which gets a cracking signal and battery life when out in the wilderness. So you can guess my thoughts on the matter of a £2k phone! I also have a a second hand iPhone 5 going strong and a £1 a week contract that nets me 70mins and 400MB of data. Just thought I'd share that to destroy a few Scottish stereotypes. :p

Yeah you would of thought this would of been tested a little stronger.

Had a feeling something like that would happen. Bending and electronics have not been a good combination for a long time and I wouldn't have been genuinely surprised if there weren't a host of reliability issues. Having said that I didn't expect it to be THAT bad

If you wait a few years the new features on top-end phones tend to be on everything, for me there isn't enough of a quality gap between top-tier phones and cheap phones to justify the ridiculous price gap. (Obviously there are people who need a certain phone for business or whatever I'm not talking about that though.)

Not quite.

Also Depends what you want.
For example.
People don't buy an Iphone because of it's features they tend to buy it for the UI or they are invested in the Apple ecosystem. (Imessage, Itunes, etc) No other phone company can bring that.

Sure the price might not be justifiable for some.
Same as if you wanted to buy a car to go to work.
Why buy a BMW when you can get a Ford for less?

Tempted to get the pixel 3a. Seen it's got really good reviews and price is good. Just want a stock android experience as iOS 13 isn't really that exciting. Anyone got a pixel 3a?

I've had a Pixel 3 for about 2 months and love it, prefer it to the Samsungs I've had in the past tbh

I have issues with Google as a company.
Google quality control on it's phone has been very suspect as well, especially the P3, where it's a roulette in if you get a good one or a dud one.

Cheers I'll bear that in mind if I get one. I'll be keeping my iPhone so this would be a spare and I can then change the sim out between the two, to see which OS I prefer. But I am so embedded in the iOS ecosystem that it'll be a nice change.

One thing I do like with google phones is the more regular software updates compared to other android phones. Plus I just want the stock android experience without the skins.

Last edited:
I am old fashioned re technology so no. My Daughters are into all the latest gadgets. They might ask. they have no chance. We just get by with a few treats.

Latest posts