• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Would you pay £2000 for a smart phone?

It looks to me like Microsoft want a piece of this pie, but haven't got many ideas as to how to make a foldable device useful. Other than being easier to carry than one of their existing devices, this appears to have nothing useful to offer.

It looks to me like Microsoft want a piece of this pie, but haven't got many ideas as to how to make a foldable device useful. Other than being easier to carry than one of their existing devices, this appears to have nothing useful to offer.

Mobile dual screens not useful? I think that is where it is heading. Just need the software to match to ensure it's not laggy.

Mobile dual screens not useful? I think that is where it is heading. Just need the software to match to ensure it's not laggy.

I was referring to the Neo, not the Duo given that it is the device that appears to have been getting the majority of the coverage, including in the video that you posted.
In a mobile device, I would find a large screen (i.e. a decent phablet) much more useful than a split screen that's barely an inch larger, although to be fair, the majority of my use is recreational. It depends on the price difference - if the Duo comes in at the same price point as Samsung's offering, it's hard to make a case for this kind of device versus a phablet running in split screen mode IMO.

I was referring to the Neo, not the Duo given that it is the device that appears to have been getting the majority of the coverage, including in the video that you posted.
In a mobile device, I would find a large screen (i.e. a decent phablet) much more useful than a split screen that's barely an inch larger, although to be fair, the majority of my use is recreational. It depends on the price difference - if the Duo comes in at the same price point as Samsung's offering, it's hard to make a case for this kind of device versus a phablet running in split screen mode IMO.

ahh, I was referring to both as I treat my tablet and phone as mobile devices. The Neo will be useful if you need two apps open and split between two screens. I work with two screens at work and I can see how that is useful on the go. Split screen on one screen is useful for recreational use, but not ideal for work, where dual screens is better.

the duo also looks interesting:

I used MS phones for as long as they made them, started on a HTC WP7 device and ended on a Lumia 950. I really liked the home screen tiled layout, and have recreated it on my S8 via SquareHome2.

I like the idea of a foldable device as I find my S8 too small for some activities. Personally I'd want a single screen when unfolded, or two with only a hairline gap. The MS Duo looks a little clunky as it stands. I also think the proportions when in phone mode look way off. Imo the recent Galaxy's have been spot on in that regard, the Duo just looks too wide. I'd imagine that's to force the circa16:10 ratio when in tablet mode, but they should prioritise the folded proportions imo.

Interested where this goes though. The surface line of products are imo the best out there, both in terms of quality and design. They need to get this right after the disappointing failure of Windows Phone.

ahh, I was referring to both as I treat my tablet and phone as mobile devices. The Neo will be useful if you need two apps open and split between two screens. I work with two screens at work and I can see how that is useful on the go. Split screen on one screen is useful for recreational use, but not ideal for work, where dual screens is better.

the duo also looks interesting:

I question how many people need to be able to see both apps at the same time on a portable device. I thought that it was telling that in the video you posted, the only shot of the device I could see in "twin screen" mode in which I could clearly make out what was going on on both screens, was showing an email app on one side and Spotify on the other! A nice gimmick, but probably less productive than working on a slightly larger screen and switching to Spotify when you need it. To be fair, I would quite like to have an app on one side and play a video on the other, but it would probably make me less productive.

I haven't tried to use a portable device in split screen mode since my Note 2, which I found of little use. I assume that technology has moved on since then, so would have thought that it would work just the same as the Microsoft device, just with a graphic in the middle of the screen instead of a physical hinge.

I have worked with two screens at a desk in the past and loved it. Maybe I'm out of touch in terms of how productive you can be on portable devices these days, but I've only ever viewed them as a way of achieving simple tasks (sending email, making notes) while on the move, or in a pinch frustrating yourself doing more demanding tasks in an emergency. For these situations, I think I'd prefer one larger screen (coupled with the existing facilities to switch apps) over two smaller ones, given that the majority of my focus will be on one app. I'm not saying that there are no situations when this would be a boon, just that they are the exception more than the rule.

So had the Iphone 11 for about 20 days now.
EE unlimited data + 2 swappable add-ons for £59 a month + £10 upfront.

Really nice phone.
I got the 11 over the 11 pro because from what I hear the next year phone will be a bigger redesign, so am planning to upgrade to that when it's out. But I needed a new phone ASAP anyway.

But great battery life and camera over what I have previously had.
The extra wide lens is so good.

It's not the biggest tech jump in the world but it does showcase how efficient IOS is.

New to EE swapped from O2, the signal is better and faster, I am using the BT sport and Roam further adds ons, since I was in america this month. Which was a god send using unlimited data like I would at home.

Aye, I love EE - I get 4G in my village whereas got bugger all signal on O2. Free BT Sport and free wifi on the tube are nice perks too

Tidy, I'm on EE so works out for me - Pixel 4 doesn't have 5G, presumably for marketing purposes ("Google Pixel 5(g)!"), but probably means it'll be knocking about when my upgrade is due.

Recently upgraded to a note 10 and loving it so far. Given what I do for a living, having a proper pen to sketch with is great. It works extremely well when paired with Autodesk Sketchbook app.

Size wise, I think this is about as big as my hands can handle (that's what she said). Using the phone in one hand I find my thumb can only just reach the far bottom to hit back on browsers etc. This is why I didn't get the note 10+, just too big for my taste. The normal note 10 is just a whisker bigger than my old S8, but the screen is a fair amount bigger thanks to the edge to edge screen.

Battery life, camera etc. Is all stellar as well. The triple lens setup is genuinely useful, especially the wide angle.

Also switched back to EE. 75gb data for £46 a month. No upfront cost. They were a good few quid cheaper than O2, who were in turn way cheaper than anyone else + loads more data.

I am still on a 4G plan until next May. Managed to get unlimited data on virgin for £18 a month as I am also a broadband customer so all in £47 a month.

Will look to upgrade my iPhone X next year so I have had it 3 years now. Still more 5G plans will be available so should be more competitive deals. But EE sticks out in terms of their speed and consistency. They'll be more expensive but worth it if is reliable and quicker than the rest.

You can get some good deals on EE if you don't go directly through them - I renewed through carphone warehouse and got my phone for free and my monthly is £10 cheaper

Yeah, I used metrophone this time, mobilephonesdirect last time. Both offer contracts tens of £ a month cheaper than going direct or through carphone warehouse imo. Maybe avoid their cashback offers though, lots of hoops to jump through that from experience you probably won't remember to do.

TBH you can get good deals on EE if you do it through their web chat.

I got the IPhone 11 128gb with unlimited data for £59 and £10 upfront + the 2 swappable benefits.

I want to look at 5G but currently not worth the extra money due to availability.
With the IPhone holding their value so well I might be tempted next year to trade it in and pay the difference for a 5G model next year.

I may be the only person alive without a cell phone. I've never had one or wanted one, it's just a landline phone for me. I have nothing against those who do have cell phones, but for safety reasons I wish people wouldn't use them while driving.

I may be the only person alive without a cell phone. I've never had one or wanted one, it's just a landline phone for me. I have nothing against those who do have cell phones, but for safety reasons I wish people wouldn't use them while driving.

Illegal here. Though that doesn't deter some. Problem is that because of the illegality, some drivers try to hide it, so instead of talking with the phone at their ear (not that unsafe), they hide the phone on their laps and read/write texts instead (bloody dangerous). I get a bus into work every day and from the elevated position you see tons of people doing it, idiots!!!!

Iphone 12 line up. £1400 plus for iPhone 12 pro max. Yeh not sure I am that keen on spending that much. It will depend for me on what 5G contract I can get.

My phone is off 99% of the time. It is a pain to have one.

Latest posts