WR might change rules on kits.

Reiser99

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester

Essentially certain kit colours are very similar for people with a colour vision deficiency as they struggle to tell teams apart. A very common example is red and green, so they would struggle with a Wales vs Ireland game. Proposal is to have rules regarding kits so that it makes the game accessible for all and that teams would have to wear alternative colours if the home colours would create an issue.

What do people think?

At a basic level it seems sensible, but obviously if you have a kit colour like red or green you could often be required to change shirt colour making that colour almost redundant. On top this would affect Wales vs Ireland every year and we'd never see red vs green again.

Having said that, I'd sure they could be creative and I'm never one to keep something just because it's traditional. Ensuring that all people can access the game equally is more important than, "but this is the colour we've always had."

Solutions could be that away kits are specifically designed so that they don't clash and therefore the home team can wear their kit, so at least one team is in their colours. Another could be to vary the colour of the kits, so that while they the main colour on, they also have a significant part that has another colour to differentiate them. Example: Wales have a black stripe on their kit and Ireland have a white stripe on their kit. (I'm not an expert on colour vision deficiency and I assume black and white might well be an issue for some, however this is just an example, not a concrete idea.)

It makes sense, however if they can't even police teams wearing incredibly similar colours (i.e. Aus in very dark green, Argentina in very dark blue) I find it hard to believe they'll police this

It makes sense, however if they can't even police teams wearing incredibly similar colours (i.e. Aus in very dark green, Argentina in very dark blue) I find it hard to believe they'll police this
Depends I guess on how determined they are. If they've created a rod for their own back on inclusivity then it puts them under more pressure to make it happen. Also depend on the punishment. More unions are struggling financially at the moment and I don't think it's going to massively change in the future. Any significant fine on the union would hurt them.

its actually interesting, WR moved away from more fancy kit designs (as fifa did) opting for solid kit colours...but "Patterns" would actually be another way to address this, a red green colour clash is only really a problem if theyre both wearing a block of colour

Latest posts