• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WR Reviewing international eligibility

It relates to that Sporting Bodies are NOT subject to ECJ/EU law.

I'm using the IOC as an example as you mentioned of a Sporting body that is subject to the ECJ/EU laws. And then I'm using FIFA as an example that isn't Subject to their laws. That was all I was getting at.

But I've already established that FIFA is subject to those laws, the Sergio Sagarzazu point, where they (ECJ) overturn FIFA and CAS.

no?

The point i'm making is that the Meca Medina ruling shows that the ECJ takes precedence over sporting bodies regardless of if they are European (UEFA) or global (IOC, FIFA, WR).

Like i said though i'm no expert on these things (I doubt any of us are), so i may be completely wrong.

Last edited:
But I've already established that FIFA is subject to those laws, the Sergio Sagarzazu point, where they (ECJ) overturn FIFA and CAS.

no?

The point i'm making is that the Meca Medina ruling shows that the ECJ takes precedence over sporting bodies regardless of if they are European (UEFA) or global (IOC, FIFA, WR).

Like i said though i'm no expert on these things (I doubt any of us are), so i may be completely wrong.

Did FIFA comply with the findings of the CAS though? I think they just did a side-step and punished the team in another way.

Anyways, we are digressing a bit from the topic at hand.

The ECJ has absolutely no jurisdiction outside of EU countries - look how often Switzerland has told the ECJ to shove it!

Sporting bodies worldwide are NOT subject to ECJ. If they were, then they could tell NZRU that their limitation on foreign players playing in NZ Super Rugby teams was illegal under the Bosman & Kolpak Rulings.

If the ECJ tried their BS on WR because they are based in Dublin, it would be a relatively simple matter to move their HQ to Lausanne.

ETA: I am aware that Switzerland has treaties with the EU that allows ECJ some limited jurisdiction in Switzerland, but only in the areas of bilateral agreements covering the free movement of people, air, road and rail traffic, agriculture, trade, public procurement, science & medical research, security, political asylum, police cooperation in fraud pursuits, environment, media, education, care of the elderly, statistics and services. Workplace laws and provisions are specifically excluded from both bilateral agreements... Switzerland has her own labour laws.

Last edited:

Latest posts