• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WRU and RFU discuss New EDF Format

T

Thingimubob

BBC Sport

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Welsh Rugby Union has confirmed talks have taken place with their English counterparts about proposals for new Anglo-Welsh cup competitions.

They want to replace the EDF Energy Cup from the start of the 2009/2010 season with two new competitions.

And one could include featuring Premiership clubs from Wales.

"I've been in talks with the RFU aimed at growing the game at Premiership level as well as regional," said WRU group chief executive Roger Lewis.

"There are clear implications for the Premiership and I will be holding discussions with those clubs in a couple of of weeks' time."

The top tier cup would involve the 12 Guinness Premiership clubs, the four Welsh Regions and four clubs from a revamped second tier of English rugby.

The second cup would feature the remaining eight clubs from the English second tier and six teams from the Principality Premiership.

Lewis added: "There is a shared desire among the RFU and WRU to preserve Anglo-Welsh encounters to enhance existing competitions.

"But Anglo-Welsh matches must complement Celtic rugby and we are also determined to develop the Magners League."[/b]

The ND1 sides would really benifit from this, give some of them a chance to compete against the top Clubs/Regions from Wales and England, and the rest a chance to play their counterparts from Wales. Would also mean more revenue for both the Principality Premiership and ND1 side, and actually give them a chance to play teams from other countries. Maybe they could add extra incentive to the lower tier competition by giving automatic qualifacation for the winner to the European Challange Cup, which would be brilliant experience for them. Neath were saying they'd like to be let into the Challange Cup - this could be their route.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
revamped second tier of English rugby[/b]

Really?? When has this been revamped, what do the RFU have in mind???

As for the cup change I am all for it, we need to build the rugby on the second tier, if we have a better spread of quality and investment it could prove to be very beneficial to our international game... Wales and England could benefit greatly from this...

Would back this move, sounds a good idea and would love to see some of the ND1 take on some of the Welsh clubs!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Aug 25 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
revamped second tier of English rugby[/b]

Really?? When has this been revamped, what do the RFU have in mind???

As for the cup change I am all for it, we need to build the rugby on the second tier, if we have a better spread of quality and investment it could prove to be very beneficial to our international game... Wales and England could benefit greatly from this...
[/b][/quote]

The proposal is that the number of teams in the ND1 will be cut down to twelve and the Division itself be called the Championship and have a major sponsor behind it. That way you have a 12 team Premiership and a 12 team Championship. An 8 team playoff system would decide who goes through to the Premiership.

The new EDF format would slot straight into this plan.

As i have stated it would be good to see the National League 1 take on our Welsh Premiership, reckon there would be some good battles going o

This is the best way to raise standards and would definitely benefit the Welsh players cascaded down to the Welsh premiership sides.

A 5th Welsh region would also gain invaluable experience taking on GP and ND1 sides on a yearly basis, adding to what they'll already get from the Magners League.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Aug 25 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This is the best way to raise standards and would definitely benefit the Welsh players cascaded down to the Welsh premiership sides.

A 5th Welsh region would also gain invaluable experience taking on GP and ND1 sides on a yearly basis, adding to what they'll already get from the Magners League.[/b]

5th Welsh region would benefit from playing against GP and ND1 but in the Magners League im not quite sure. If there was a 5th region the problem would stem from where would the players come from, all they are talking about at the mo is looking at having the 5th region full of promising Welsh youngsters like Sam Waurburton and Dan Biggar!

I would say that any experience is good experience, but then I look at the two seasons Leeds have spent in the GP and think again. Then again Worcester have had a very steep learning curve and have survived but then again they have the millions of a local businessman backing them. Would a 5th Welsh region have such lavish financial investment?

Here is a link to the proposed changes to ND1.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Aug 25 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would say that any experience is good experience, but then I look at the two seasons Leeds have spent in the GP and think again. Then again Worcester have had a very steep learning curve and have survived but then again they have the millions of a local businessman backing them. Would a 5th Welsh region have such lavish financial investment?

Here is a link to the proposed changes to ND1.[/b]

Apparently there's some bull been thrown round by the WRU that they have investors. The problem is are they committed to the cause or are they ust people throwing their names in for a laugh? Welsh rugby for me could afford another side, but only if the investment is managed wisely. The example Roger Lewis and the Western Mail are using are the ACT Brumbies who were formed, signed a few high profile players e.g. Greegan and become a hotbed for talent. Unfortunatly the hotbed wont be there but a few might come through the club system but I reckon they could attract one or two big players in that would help the cause. But other regions must embrace the 5th region and some sort of agreement must be met by the WRU and IRB that allows players to be loaned to the 5th Region to gain experience and aid development. Players such as Waurburton, Biggar, Owen and past players like Ben Broster could have / would have benefited from a system like this.

At the end of the day its all down to the WRU and where they place the 5th region! Do they go North or South?

Latest posts