• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Favourite Rugby Game

So what is your favourite rugby game on the market?

• Jonah Lomu Rugby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rugby 2001

• Rugby 2004

• Rugby 2005

• World Championship Rugby

• Rugby League 1

• Rugby League 2

• Other

• Total voters
M

Mr. Laxative

Just answer in this poll then give your reasons. If you answer other please say what it is.

My favourite is Rugby 2001. A classic game and I love the rucking system. This game woke me up to the world of Rugby games and I've enjoyed it since day one. Sure the graphics are lousy and there are only international teams but if Creative Assembly had continued we would have had the one hell of a rugby game by now.

true that....but we cant change the past, so rugby 05 takes my pick...allround good graphics with an actual playable gameplay

Jonah Lomus takes mine

It said 'favourite' not 'best'

JLR is my favourite - had more fun with that, was the best for its time.

IMO the best is Rugby 2005........the graphics own the others, has world league, which is more than anyother except the new RL2 franchise.....animations crap, we all know that

But if I could map the gameplay of JLR, give it the look of anything remote on PS2 (even rugby20045FFS), id be in rugby gaming heaven.

Rugby2001 - had an awesome rucking system, prolly the best, yet i hated the zig-zag rort, which killed my enjoyment.........although admittingly i spent as much time on this as i did for JLR, coz the ps2 was fairly new, and it was the next after JLR.

ah crap... i voted 2004 instead of 2005. now it looks like i like playing crap games.

rugby league 2 for me. has taken the rugby gaming genre along forward imo. franchise mode is the best out of any so far much better than eas attempts at it. also has online play a first for rugby gaming. passing system is another great feature and it feels like you are playing league. easy to mod as welll.

rugby 2001 was good for awhile but it had bugs in it that killed it for me. still in the top 3 of rugby games of all time.

jonah lomu. didn't get to play this back in the day but everyone talks it up so it can't be too bad.

every ea game after 2001 has been crap.

Rugby League 2 for me. I never like JLR and Rugby 2005 just plain ****** me off after a while. RL2, while I'll admit it has control issues, has so much in it and is just a solid all round game. By the time they are making RL3 hopefully they'll have sorted out control and we'll have a truly difinitive league game.

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Dec 22 2005, 02:19 PM
ah crap... i voted 2004 instead of 2005. now it looks like i like playing crap games.
it suits your pic/avatar

ROFLMAO, that looks sick with that post of yours...truly hysterics

Well I voted for Rugby League 2 because that is what I load up at the moment.

However.

The game I've spent the most time with: Rugby 2001 (I was in to the modding of that)
Best multiplayer game: Jonah Lomu Rugby
Best depth in single player game: Rugby League 2

Rugby 2001 - would be crap now, and has been surpassed by other games in terms of graphics etc, but for me its about feeling in control and having fun - and at the time this game filled that void............

As I mentioned elsewhere, if Creative assembly had carried on making rugby games then we wouldn't still be waiting for a decent rugby gameplaying experience........hell, the fact they were able to turn rugby 2001 at the last possible moment from a playstation 1 game to a PS2 game, and STILL create something fun and playable, tells you something about their programming abilities.

Honourable mention for ARL96 (I think it was 96??). At the time I had more fun on that game then I had on SIDHE's 2 rugby league efforts COMBINED!!

A defeated opponent who never stays down asked me to come over and play Jonah at his place this week. He says he is ready for me.

First time I started watering for a rugby challenge in months.........such is the awesome power of Jonah (well in a game that is) lol!

Originally posted by ak47@Dec 22 2005, 03:08 PM
Jonah Lomus takes mine

It said 'favourite' not 'best'

JLR is my favourite - had more fun with that, was the best for its time.

IMO the best is Rugby 2005........the graphics own the others, has world league, which is more than anyother except the new RL2 franchise.....animations crap, we all know that
agreed. i dont really play jlo rugby anymore, mainly because its just too old. if jlo had updated players, super12, and all the other options like subs and squads that the ea series have, i would still play it. it owns all else in terms of gameplay. its always good, during a few beers with the boys, and playing a bit of ps2, and then you say "oooh i know a awesome one" then go to the bottom of the cd pile, and drag out big j. everyone knows how to play it.

the championship things were good, and classic matches. commentators were good - even compared to todays ones.

rucking system, and the only game to really get the mauls right, srums were adequate. lineouts were good. kicking system perfect imo.

as i said before, the only thing thats let it down is the fact that its about 10yrs old.

Originally posted by umosay+Dec 22 2005, 11:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umosay @ Dec 22 2005, 11:29 PM)</div>
JLR was by far the funnest rugby game ever... multiplayer was mad.[/b]
one of the funnest sports nay - funnest video game of all time

<!--QuoteBegin-Get Naked

Anyone who says otherwise is a Communist.
- yeah its just not the same anymore.

...******

Rugby 2005 may have its flaws, but it is still very playable.

JLR would be my second choice. It was great at the time, but has dated a lot since.

I agree but I think JLR is the most obvious winner. Despite the fact that it is a old game, Space Invaders is still a classic and always will be.

JLR and R2005 are the most enjoyable, not to mention Rugby 2001. R2001 was good at one point, but I haven't played it for donkey's years so I couldn't say whether it still has the same level of excitement and playability.

I was laid up in bed after an operation earlier in the year with only a portable tv and my old PSX (long before they were even called a PSOne!) ... and loaded up my copy of JLR.

Suffice to say it passed the time - but I'm afraid as a single player game it's no longer the game I remember it being.

Let's be honest, if it was still the best and graphics didn't matter, we would all still be playing it!

I had high hopes for RL2 after the hours I spent on the original, but I've been very disappointed with that, and my PS2 has found Rugby 2005 reinstated as current rugby favourite.

Fingers crossed for the latest Swordfish effort though ... sounds like they've (thankfully) pulled it back from the arcade button-bash first version.

Rugby 2005 for me, RL2 blows, Rugby (as 2001 was called on the PS2) is good, but its a bit dated, as well as the fact Rugby 2005 has S12 and more teams.

Although Rugby 06 will probably take the cake (and send SANZAR in tears to the next Communist Party Australia meeting). Still probably wont be enough to pull me away from NCAA 06 though. God I love that game, I wish I were American! I just loathe my pathetic kiwi heritage!

I don't think any of those listed where the best - my favorite rugby game of all time was EA Sport Rugby World Cup on the SEGA MEGA drive. I was pretty youing when I played it but I remember playing it to death.

Originally posted by jimmy44@Dec 23 2005, 10:34 AM
I don't think any of those listed where the best - my favorite rugby game of all time was EA Sport Rugby World Cup on the SEGA MEGA drive. I was pretty youing when I played it but I remember playing it to death.
That's a point, that game kept me going for ages.

Still play it on my emulator occasionally, it's fun to pick up and play now and again. JLR would still be my favourite of the older generation though.

Latest posts