• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your, you're, there, their, they're and other difficulties...

There's a difference between people who don't know any better and people who should know. How difficult is it to get simple things like you're, your, they're and than right? Is it a lack of education? Or just people being lazy?

Obviously your not dyslexic or understand how difficult it is for a dyslexic person at times to get things like this correct.

Last edited:
Something that doesn't really annoy me, but surprises me a bit is some really common spelling mistakes in players' names, as James O'Conner and Kieran Reid.

I probably do more mistakes than most people here, but I think that not being a native is a good enough excuse. Feel free to correct anyway, always eager to learn.

Some wrong names I have seen are:

JP Pieterson
Patrick Lamby
John Smith
Keegan Daniels / Daniel Keegan
Jean de Jongh

Most annoying: Conrad Jantjies

Obviously your not dyslexic or understand how difficult it is for a dyslexic person at times to get things like this correct.

Obviously I am not. I am not saying dyslexic people are not allowed to make mistakes. I just feel that it's something that is open for discussion.

Are you deliberately saying your now or are you dyslexic? *Serious question, no pun or anything*

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really find spelling mistakes annoying, as long as their recognisable. What I do find annoying is when people have huge long comments without a comma, fullstop or apostrophe, it makes them impossible to read.

Obviously I am not. I am not saying dyslexic people are not allowed to make mistakes. I just feel that it's something that is open for discussion.

Are you deliberately saying your now or are you dyslexic? *Serious question, no pun or anything*

I don't have to disclose whether I am or not and it should not make a difference if I am. If its a problem or that its a problem with anyone else please get in contact with me via PM, ill happily explain. It is an issue that needs to be looked upon carefully because people who are dyslexic can sometimes be targeted on forums and that is something that I do not condone. It has happened in the past and I am pretty sure it will happen in the future.

Also the ones that seem to have a problem with people's use of the English language should often be careful because often they make the same mistakes that so annoy them.

I get sooooo ****** off when people say 'loose' instead of lose.

Example: We can't afford to loose the game.

What????

Well, if you see this thread as an attack on dyslexic people, you just don't get it.

Well, if you see this thread as an attack on dyslexic people, you just don't get it.

Please Please Please point me in the direction on where I have made the point that this is an attack on dyslexic people, I have asked people to bare in mind dyslexic people when judging people and posts. Just pointing out something simple.

I'm simply telling you why some make the mistakes and to get annoyed with them you have to think is this person dyslexic and should I be careful to correct them and what way I should go around to tell them they have made a mistake. That is all. The post is hardly meant to offend anyone.

If you think otherwise ... you are jumping the gun once again :)

Last edited:
I myself am dyslexic (on a side not for a word that is used for people who have trouble spelling it is hard to spell), but I don't make mistakes like that, or at least I try not to, the mistakes i usually make are in well other words not. I use firefox because it has spell check among other reasons, meaning that after i finish typing I just go over my post and look for the red marks just makes it fast and easy.

Ah having one or two little issues myself that effect me a little (mild dyspraxia and ADHD) but when people give me a bit of ribbing about being a bit of an airhead the odd time it doesn't really bother me much as in my opinion we all have our problems and these two things define me from the rest of the world and make me an individual.

I would only take offence if someone were to target one of the things and harass me for having such an issue ..one guy once took the **** out of me having dyspraxia , warned him he persisted so I felt it quite natural to catch him with a nice little right hook , needless to say he stopped. In contrast someone giving a bit of ribbing about my inability to sit still or having poor short term memory is grand and harmless often I would be the first person to instigate it.

Maybe its different for some people but I will not take offence unless someone calls me an idiot for having a problem as opposed to slagging the symptoms.

Please Please Please point me in the direction on where I have made the point that this is an attack on dyslexic people, I have asked people to bare in mind dyslexic people when judging people and posts. Just pointing out something simple.

I'm simply telling you why some make the mistakes and to get annoyed with them you have to think is this person dyslexic and should I be careful to correct them and what way I should go around to tell them they have made a mistake. That is all. The post is hardly meant to offend anyone.

If you think otherwise ... you are jumping the gun once again :)
One of my favourite blogs is by a dyslexic journalist who has a radical view on the consequences of the banking collapse.

His posts are well put together because he gets someone to proofread them. But then he replies to comments and the spelling goes haywire!

Worth a look:
http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/

I don't mind a bit of bad grammar or spelling. What I do mind is mixed metaphor - it's not just that the writer is confusing the reader, but he doesn't have a clear view of what he means and shouldn't have started until he had.

edit: bad grammar - hehe!

ps. the difference between effect and affect -*cough*- lucky number 7.

Last edited:
One of my favourite blogs is by a dyslexic journalist who has a radical view on the consequences of the banking collapse.

His posts are well put together because he gets someone to proofread them. But then he replies to comments and the spelling goes haywire!

Worth a look:
http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/

I don't mind a bit of bad grammar or spelling. What I do mind is mixed metaphor - it's not just that the writer is confusing the reader, but he doesn't have a clear view of what he means and shouldn't have started until he had.

edit: bad grammar - hehe!

ps. the difference between effect and affect -*cough*- lucky number 7.

Ah cool, ill take a read of it when I can :)

Ah having one or two little issues myself that effect me a little (mild dyspraxia and ADHD) but when people give me a bit of ribbing about being a bit of an airhead the odd time it doesn't really bother me much as in my opinion we all have our problems and these two things define me from the rest of the world and make me an individual.

I would only take offence if someone were to target one of the things and harass me for having such an issue ..one guy once took the **** out of me having dyspraxia , warned him he persisted so I felt it quite natural to catch him with a nice little right hook , needless to say he stopped. In contrast someone giving a bit of ribbing about my inability to sit still or having poor short term memory is grand and harmless often I would be the first person to instigate it.

Maybe its different for some people but I will not take offence unless someone calls me an idiot for having a problem as opposed to slagging the symptoms.

*affect

A post has to be particularly bad for me to get upset about a spelling/grammar issue, like cmac said the long run on paragraph with no punctuation, or spelling that is out of grade three.

I've had some hilarious ones from friends on facebook, which I do attribute to poor education and a lack of literacy. Often they are exposed by using the wrong word, for example my friend who "rode the fairy to Newfoundland" and was devastated that "the fairy bar didn't open until 10 p.m." or my friend who told me she was "a trader to her company" for shopping at a different location.

A frequent one I've seen is many of my friends have long waits at "the boarder" I have no idea who this person is that enters your car by drawing alongside it while you wait for him, but it seems mightily intruiging.

Last edited:
"Would of" istead of "would have". Doesn't even make sense, and makes you wonder if the person actually understands what they're writing...

You know what word keeps me struggling from time to time?

Necessary

Completely different subject, but that word is soooo annoying to spell

"Would of" istead of "would have". Doesn't even make sense, and makes you wonder if the person actually understands what they're writing...

I think this is kind of a North American expression, where the "have" got bastardized down into "of".

I know I use this all the time "it wouldn't be so much of a problem if we would of gotten more english lessons." LOL

I understand where it is coming from orally, but it doesn't make sense in writing. It seems a very chavy spelling to me though, like "sumfink", "larf", "bruv" etc...

Effect and affect bugs me.

I also don't like when people change the tense mid post; doing, I did what I do and I do what I did.

I get sooooo ****** off when people say 'loose' instead of lose.

Example: We can't afford to loose the game.

What????

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thus
To no end.

I blame second languages. I can't believe I got higher grades for Afrikaans than English :(

Latest posts