• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2023 Predictions

QF

Fiji v Samoa
Argentina v Wales
Come on now, our favourite 8th & 9th ranked teams aren't that bad. Or at least, not both of them, surely!

Bold prediction. Let's see how it goes.

Aren't we underestimating NZ a bit? I mean, they are a bit off here and there
On the mind games side...
Ireland's demon is the QF.
New Zealand's demon is France, and this world cup, there's just so much France

Last edited:
Come on now, our favourite 8th & 9th ranked teams aren't that bad. Or at least, not both of them, surely!

Bold prediction. Let's see how it goes.

On the mind games side...
Ireland's demon is the QF.
Have you watched australia and england in the last year? Fiji already done one of them in and are goign against the one whos coach is yet to win a single game. While samoa are facing up against a team that seems to plunge to new depths everytime they pull on a a shirt and just lost by an eerily similiar margin to fiji that they did in the pacific nations cup when they hadnt just traveled across the world.

My brain says australia, england and wales should turn up, but my eyes have told me a very differnt story thus far.

Dont forget fozzy as well, his assistant seem to be propping him up but he is just not great.

New Zealand to win the whole thing. But unconvincingly.

Australia to go far. As into the final far. Where they will lose to New Zealand.

New Zealand to win the whole thing. But unconvincingly.

Australia to go far. As into the final far. Where they will lose to New Zealand.

I'd like that. But we've won one game in the last 9 games and that was in November, plus we've lost our last 5. We are in worse shape than England.

I'll probably stick to my RSA prediction but after re-reading this thread i have to ask: Arent we underestimating NZ a bit? I mean, they are a bit off here and there but they don't need to perform head and shoulders above their average to beat anyone. I think pressure tends to be their worst enemy and this thread (just as a sample) kinda suggests they dont have that pressure anymore. And sure, RSA tore them a new one, but a) they beat them in the TRC not that long ago and b) they tend to do their homework and correct mistakes.
Bookies still have them as favorites.

Small margins and the game could've looked a lot different. Us taking a shot at goal rather than hammering away the first part of the game. No knock from Telea. Libbok missing a few at goal. Arendse not getting the interception. You just need a few small things to go the other way and it's a game. We've seen two games at either end of the spectrum in the SA NZ match ups. But a spectrum it remains in IMO.

Don't think NZ will be free from pressure though.

France to win their pool A, NZ 2nd
South Africa to win Pool B, Ireland 2nd
Australia to win Pool C, Fiji 2nd
Argentina to win Pool D, England 2nd

Ireland to beat France
South Africa to beat NZ
Australia to beat England
Argentina to beat Fiji

Then I can't remember what goes where. Ireland SA final

Poule A : France (1) - All Black (2).
Poule B: South Africa (1) - Ireland (2)
Poule C: Wales (1) - Fidji (2)
Poule D: Argentina (1) - Samoa (2)

QF:
France - Ireland
South Africa - All Black
Wales - Samoa
Argentina - Fidji

SM:
France - Argentina
South Africa - Wales

Final:

France - South Africa

I predicted that the Stade La Rochelais would dominate Europe two years ago, today I think France has what it takes to reach the final.
However, the French team lacks two things, players of the caliber of Malcom Marx and a leader like Siya Kolisi.
South Africa will retain their trophy.

I'm curious. On an elimination match (i.e. after group stages) do you reckon the average nzder would rather face RSA than Fra? If i were to bet money on NZ and had to pick an opponent of those two, i'd probably go with France. Unpopular opinion prolly.

Took a look at the 2019 thread for reference and very few were looking past NZ, then it was SA and the rest was just guess work over which of England, Wales or Ireland would get their house in order. The one accurate thing I said was that the NH chances rested on Ireland, not because they were the best but because I didn't back England to go back to back against NZ and SA or Wales to beat a good SH side. I was weirdly more hopeful for Ireland but less expectant that they'd show up, age and experience is at least teaching me that there's no hope.

Very different dynamic to this tournament, the lopsided draw means there's no advantage like the way it fell for SA last time around having a relatively easy QF and a semi final that was less of an emotionally charged fixture than England had in the SF.

There's talk of a fresh side from the bad side of the draw upsetting a side in the SF but I don't really see anyone capable of walking over anyone else in the QF, it might be lower quality rugby but the effort will still be high so I don't see it barring massive improvement.

I still think Ireland and NZ will top the pools and lose the QFs. Ireland v SA is a bit of a one off test match in a way for us considering the build up, that's our speciality, a third intense test in 4 weeks in the QF less so, hopefully Scotland don't show up bit I can't see that happening. NZ will have a fired up performance and I can see a cagey start from France, similar game to NZ v SA in the TRC, but then I think NZs persistent problems in this cycle will be taken advantage of by SA again.

Two semi final wins that are comfortable if not remarkable.

Then it's a pure 50/50 for me, who shows up on the day sort of thing. Both sides have huge performances and totally average ones in them. Home advantage and personal preference pushes me to France.

I can't be anymore detailed than that. I think anyone writing off any of the top 4 is foolish, they're all essentially two matches, two weeks apart from winning a world cup, otherwise its just games they should win. (Scotland are a fun underdog but the world rankings point game between Ireland to Scotland is the same as Scotland to Georgia, and SA aren't far behind Ireland at all.)

Can't wait for it to start now, a week and a half seems like a lifetime away.

Regardless of France doing over NZ in the past, I'd back the Boks to close out a tight knock out game over France. FR throw away leads too easily for my liking whereas the Boks take big games by the scruff of the neck.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a NZ backlash and for them to upset France in the opener. They would then be in a position to manage player minutes so that they're primed for the QF a few weeks later.

The two QFs are nothing short of mouth watering. Fancy the Boks to progress to the SF but it's very hard to call between the other three.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the Boks would (/will?) blow France away, especially after seeing Australia give the French scrum a pumping

Ireland are the only ones who could compete with their forwards but that's only if all first choice starters are fit, once the benches (or injuries) come into play SA pull away

I reckon SA make the tournament look easy tbh

Can't have Ireland unfortunately. The Saffas and France will come looking for them up front and i'm not sure they'll have the answers. I know they've beaten both recently but i expect the intensity to be a little higher at the World Cup. I put NZ in the same bracket, as in they mightn't be able to compete up front to the level required. Unlike Ireland though they do have pedigree at World Cups, that could see them sneak a game they should lose.

France are the most likely winner for me. They have incredible depth and the crowd will ensure they get the rub with every referee. I'd go as far as to say it's hard to see passed them. South Africa best of the rest.
Ireland have a better pack than France though, so I'm not sure that is the case. SA are out on their own in the tight 5.
Taking emotion out of it, you would struggle to make a case for any of the French tight 5 when up against Irish...maybe hooker
The French forwards are incredibly well coached and motivated which has carried them well
Their 8,9,10 and centre axis is where their class is at

I've said it will be a France v SA final, this is how I expect the WC to play out:
Pool A: France, New Zealand
Pool B: South Africa, Ireland
Pool C: Australia, Fiji
Pool D: Argentina, England

QFs
France v Ireland
South Africa v New Zealand
Australia v England
Argentina v Fiji

SFs
France v Argentina
South Africa v Australia

Bronze
Argentina v Australia

Final
France v South Africa

I think whoever wins that opening game between France and NZ will make the final. The Springboks to control yet another RWC final with a dominant pack. As alluded to earlier, the French scrum is not as solid as they would like it to be. SA and Ireland would fancy their chances against them in that department.

Honestly I think the Boks would (/will?) blow France away, especially after seeing Australia give the French scrum a pumping

Ireland are the only ones who could compete with their forwards but that's only if all first choice starters are fit, once the benches (or injuries) come into play SA pull away

I reckon SA make the tournament look easy tbh
I would of said this, but libbok is prone to a stinker and his kicking can just go walk abouts. Do that in a knockout game and its trouble.

If they had a fully fit pollard I think they walk it, pack dominance is just so large, SA, big gap, Ireland, big gap, france in that regard.

I'd like that. But we've won one game in the last 9 games and that was in November, plus we've lost our last 5. We are in worse shape than England.

Classic Eddie Jones rope-a-dope!

You are going to have a great World Cup! Knock out England on the way as well.

I think this tournament is South Africa's to lose; they have to be favourites by far and its mental trying to downplay their form and dominance going into the world cup. This of course doesn't mean SA are certain to win but failing to do so would be such an underachievement. Every other team has issues or wobbles of varying degrees, SA is just plain sailing backed up by a solid foundation to build from.

This is all pre tournament though, who knows. Maybe Ireland stop choking or France use their home advantage to find their top form or a resurgent Australia benefit from Jones pulling a rabbit out of a hat? I'm looking forward to finding out.

Latest posts