• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Leinster thread

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
82,300 for a Heineken cup match between two teams with no major rivalry (one match in 2011 aside) is insane. Selling out in a day too.

Of everything that's happened in Leinster this week this one is the most unexpected. Know a bunch of people without tickets because they thought they'd be fine to get them closer the time.
They'll still be fine as tickets always come floating closer to time. But it is a great result. Both semifinals sold out very fast which is great and shows the appetite is there. Especially when you consider 3 Nations represented

Ringrose and JOB confirmed fit for the weekend. A decision will be made re Keenan later in the week.

Baird and Tommy O'Brien signing extensions and Jack Boyle getting a senior contract.

Also heard Deegan is in fact staying.

Baird and Tommy O'Brien signing extensions and Jack Boyle getting a senior contract.

Also heard Deegan is in fact staying.
Will be interesting if Deegan does stay as in what type of contract he gets as it will be lowered.
It is strange 1. He has played well but if he is happy to stay with not even making the enlarged warm up squad yesterday it means Ulster probably are lucky to avoid him if his mentality is to be a squad filler. And that not a dig but it isn't as if any of lads ahead of him are getting too old. Although sources I Leinster and Ulster seem confident a deal is done. Let's not forget this isn't a transfer more Leinster are not renewing.
Other 3 no surprise and all seems definite now Humphreys and Nucifora have blocked an NIQ 3 supposedly weeks ago and Healy will be a THP next season

Not sure that Max Deegan is the kinda player we need - and also not sure where Max Deegan is with regards to where his potential ceiling was once upon a time. He's missed out on an awful lot of the bigger games that would have been vital stepping stones on the learning curve.

We have more than a few tidy, nimble backrowers.... who are already well capable of getting physically beat up when on softer ground.

He might come up the road and find himself only upgrading from squad filler to bench warmer.

Not sure that Max Deegan is the kinda player we need - and also not sure where Max Deegan is with regards to where his potential ceiling was once upon a time. He's missed out on an awful lot of the bigger games that would have been vital stepping stones on the learning curve.

We have more than a few tidy, nimble backrowers.... who are already well capable of getting physically beat up when on softer ground.

He might come up the road and find himself only upgrading from squad filler to bench warmer.
Surely 8. McCann, Timoney and himself

I think his options are stay out or go abroad. He's obviously comfortable in Leinster and might see Conan's spot up for grabs in the next 12-18 months.

Otherwise I don't see him playing at a standard high enough to get him into Ireland squads elsewhere. Coombes, Prendergast and Timoney are all playing out of their skin to fight for the honour of holding a rucking shield for Josh Van der Flier. Connors also offers a very specific skill set that would really suit the international game.

In any case staying in Ireland means fierce competition for minutes.

Going abroad and making a wedge seems like the logical option but maybe he just doesn't like being away from home. Not unusual really.

I think his options are stay out or go abroad. He's obviously comfortable in Leinster and might see Conan's spot up for grabs in the next 12-18 months.

Otherwise I don't see him playing at a standard high enough to get him into Ireland squads elsewhere. Coombes, Prendergast and Timoney are all playing out of their skin to fight for the honour of holding a rucking shield for Josh Van der Flier. Connors also offers a very specific skill set that would really suit the international game.

In any case staying in Ireland means fierce competition for minutes.

Going abroad and making a wedge seems like the logical option but maybe he just doesn't like being away from home. Not unusual really.
Isn't this the issue though. Staying Isn't an option. Leinster haven't a deal on the table so it is move on but where.
As you point out it is a case of does he want to try and fight for an Irish camp with Ulster or chase money abroad.
Like in a human level I guess it is very hard that he was young world player of the year and now is told effectively you're surplus to requirements and we are cutting you. Especially if making it at Leinster was his dream

That's 3 guys who are really 8s. Not sure how balanced that'd be.

Dunno why Marcus Rea doesn't see more games, everytime he's playing, he does, to my eyes at least, a good job at the breakdown.
3 8s although I'm huge fan of McCann at 6. And Timoney is seen as 7 even in Irish camps.

Isn't this the issue though. Staying Isn't an option. Leinster haven't a deal on the table so it is move on but where.
As you point out it is a case of does he want to try and fight for an Irish camp with Ulster or chase money abroad.
Like in a human level I guess it is very hard that he was young world player of the year and now is told effectively you're surplus to requirements and we are cutting you. Especially if making it at Leinster was his dream
Maybe, I'm not in the room when they're discussing contracts.

If I was in Deegan's shoes I'd be desperately trying to stay in Leinster rather than go to Ulster, that's a gamble with the state they're in. Failing that, get to the south of France.

Maybe, I'm not in the room when they're discussing contracts.

If I was in Deegan's shoes I'd be desperately trying to stay in Leinster rather than go to Ulster, that's a gamble with the state they're in. Failing that, get to the south of France.
Yes but I'm looking at it from Leinster point of view.
Penny, Baird Connors, Conan, VDF, Doris all on senior contracts and ahead. They have some younger guys coming through. Deegan on a biggish wage to play few games makes no sense. It just reality of Pro Sport. He's 28 this year and simply put didn't make it. Not because he is poor but just better around him.

Culhane has been upped from academy to senior contract. Deegan had asked to stay but was told there is no contract is the news. Ulster now seem certain. If Leinster offered a deal then Ulster could had to match the offer but now it is negotiating as Leinster declined to make an offer.
Will Connors also has signed a new deal

Good signing and no qualms on it.

Would say it is at the expense of kicking on his career and he has turned in to a JJ Hanrahan v2 but for Leinster it shows superb depth at backrow

Last edited:

Latest posts