• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1 point from FK

sigesige00

Bench Player
In the case of PK, the PK side can get 3 points by PG.
I think that the FK should also be a scoring chance.
In the case of FK, the FK side can get 1 point by place-kick or drop-kick.

One of the big reasons they brought in free kicks is to get the game flowing more, waiting around for two minutes while a guy lines up a one point kick attempt would be a snoozer.

Can we make everything worth 1 point? Try = 1 point, Penalty kick = 1 point, Drop-goal = 1 point, conversion = 1 point.

Then replace the rugby posts in all stadiums with goal posts.

Then replace the rugby ball with a spherical ball.

Then abolish tries, rucks, mauls, handling of the ball, line-outs, scrums, conversions, etc.

Then reduce all teams to 11 men.

Then introduce goal keepers.

And so on and so forth...

What do you reckon sigesige?

just tap then take a crack at goal the its a 3 pointer from a free kick... everyone is happy

I'm pretty sure that that's not allowed off a free kick, not positive though.

There's nothing stopping a player from tapping a free kick and then going for a drop-goal. I think that's what irelandfan123 was referring to.

As for the OP. Not sure it's worth acknowledging tbh. Someone obviously wasn't content with the 18 shots at goal in the Scotland v Wales encounter on the weekend.

Last edited:
There's nothing stopping a player from tapping a free kick and then going for a drop-goal. I think that's what irelandfan123 was referring to.

As for the OP. Not sure it's worth acknowledging tbh. Someone obviously wasn't content with the 18 shots at goal in the Scotland v Wales encounter on the weekend.

Yep, it's open play once the kicker taps and goes so there's nothing stopping a dropgoal attempt. I'm honestly not sure why no one ever attempts this

Yep, it's open play once the kicker taps and goes so there's nothing stopping a dropgoal attempt. I'm honestly not sure why no one ever attempts this

What confuses is why some tap and then launch the bomb what exactly is gained from this?

Oops- double post. On what occasions are free kicks awarded? Scrum collapses are the only example that come off the top of my head

Last edited:

Oh, I thought I read somewhere that a phase was needed before attempting a drop goal off a free kick, it might have been off a scrum after a free kick though.

I keep wondering why sige is actually interested in rugby...

Oh, I thought I read somewhere that a phase was needed before attempting a drop goal off a free kick, it might have been off a scrum after a free kick though.

Maybe you are right. It's not something I've come across before, but that doesn't mean it's not an intricacy of the game that has passed me by. Anyone else come across this?

But why not just kick it straight without the tap. Don't worry I do realise the advantage of territory.

Wait, do you mean the act of tapping and the kicking, or going for the bomb? I think the tap is to get that extra metre of two of run-up, although I'm guessing here.

Maybe you are right. It's not something I've come across before, but that doesn't mean it's not an intricacy of the game that has passed me by. Anyone else come across this?

I'm pretty sure i've seen teams awarded a free kick with time u and passing straight back to someone in the hole for the drop goal

Apart from Law 21.6 ;)

21.6 Scoring from a free kick

(a) A goal cannot be scored from a free kick.
(b) The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until after the ball next becomes dead, or until after an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This restriction applies also to a scrum taken instead of a free kick.

Law Amendment Trials

One of the big reasons they brought in free kicks is to get the game flowing more, waiting around for two minutes while a guy lines up a one point kick attempt would be a snoozer.

If the value of kick is only 1 point, there will not be many scoring attempts, like there are not many DGs in Rugby League (only 1 point). 1-point FK will be taken almost only when the score is tie in the late time of the game.

Can we make everything worth 1 point? Try = 1 point, Penalty kick = 1 point, Drop-goal = 1 point, conversion = 1 point.

Then replace the rugby posts in all stadiums with goal posts.

Then replace the rugby ball with a spherical ball.

Then abolish tries, rucks, mauls, handling of the ball, line-outs, scrums, conversions, etc.

Then reduce all teams to 11 men.

Then introduce goal keepers.

And so on and so forth...

What do you reckon sigesige?

haha and when players make even the slightest contact with anything they have to roll around on the ground for at least 5 minutes as if they were shot in the knee cap

side note: I was watching some wallabies footage from the early 80's. instead of taking a place kick for a penalty, they were taking a quick tap, passing back to a young lynagh who would slot a drop goal. i thought it was strange and couldn't understand why? surely a place kick would take things such as a bad drop out of the equation.