• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

15 backs v 15 forwards. Who wins? Discuss.

Hadnt thought about the place kicking aspect of this, backs have an what 75%+ chance given thats what most kickers have at that level but what would forwards have? Meaning 7 pointers are easier for back, 3 points from almost anywhere in the half, drop goals, where as pretty much have to score try or get pretty close to havr a chance kicking.

Case for bigger over Faz for his chip and chase.

Screw it im changing my answer, backs win, backs pin fowards back in their 22, use hammer defence and captalise of mistakes and kick 3s.

Hadnt thought about the place kicking aspect of this, backs have an what 75%+ chance given thats what most kickers have at that level but what would forwards have? Meaning 7 pointers are easier for back, 3 points from almost anywhere in the half, drop goals, where as pretty much have to score try or get pretty close to havr a chance kicking.

Case for bigger over Faz for his chip and chase.

Screw it im changing my answer, backs win, backs pin fowards back in their 22, use hammer defence and captalise of mistakes and kick 3s.
When do the backs ever get hold of the ball?

When do the backs ever get hold of the ball?
I mean this is what it boils down to, how do the backs get possession?

in the forwards down in their 22 sounds great but that relies on them kicking it back which they won't do because they'd be shite, meanwhile winning untold scrum penalties ever time they drop the ball. Who cares if they only make 20 meters everytime they kick a penalty into touch. They just repeat the formula and eventually get a penalty try once they reach the 5 meter line.

Exactly.
Won't move the needle. Every mistake (knock-on, forward pass, etc) will result in a scrum which gives possession or penalty to the forwards.
While realisticly i think forwards will win, there is no way backs will be qualified to be front rowers so uncontested scrums meaning that issue is a non starter.

Forwards cant afford to drop players back because of the mismatches in the wide channels meaning chip and chaces/ kicking for territory will pin the forwards back and make ground.

So forwards in there 22 will have alot of ground to make up and any knock on gives back possession and pen gives 3 points which they wont get from pens likely. Backs make a half break and can turn that into a try. And imagine randradra breaking through and offloading to Kolbe with Bauden Barrett in support. Forwards will find it hard to get wide because of line speed of the backs and brad barrett will smash even the biggest forward.

I just dont think its as cut and dry as we think, ive seen games where the backs score 3 tries in 10 min with good hands, all it takes is a miss match.

While realisticly i think forwards will win, there is no way backs will be qualified to be front rowers so uncontested scrums meaning that issue is a non starter.
That's not what this hypothetical exercise is about. For this scenario, they need to qualify themselves.

Otherwise, using a very similar argument the forwards could say that as there is "no way forwards will be qualified front-rowers to be kickers", lets make any kick result a FK for the opposing team.

The scenario is with the rules as they stand right now. If you want to make adjustments to the laws, let's do so, but that's another scenario altogether.

That's not what this hypothetical exercise is about. For this scenario, they need to qualify themselves.

Otherwise, using a very similar argument the forwards could say that as there is "no way forwards will be qualified front-rowers to be kickers", lets make any kick result a FK for the opposing team.

The scenario is with the rules as they stand right now. If you want to make adjustments to the laws, let's do so, but that's another scenario altogether.
Fair enough then, as i said anyway forwards win but this makes it more convincing.

You dont qualify to be a kicker, a prop can do it as it isnt a safety thing bit playing the front row is inherently dangerous so if you are in experience then it wouldnt be allowed, that's why i left kickers in same as line outs and rucks but went uncontested. Cant see any ither way it would happen if this hypothetical senario happened.

But isnt my thread therefore not my rules...scrums stand. :)

Imagine a team consisting of 7 FWs and 8 BKs would be more realistically. There are small number of players who can play as a Flanker and a Centre. In that case the 7 FWs-8 BKs system would work well.

Latest posts