• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st TEST: South Africa v Lions

I don't give the Lions a chance in 1000. South Africa will be too big, too strong and too physical.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bowe would knock the ball out of his hands and score at the other end, running backwards while singing The Black Velvet Band and gargling a pint of guinness.[/b]

C_71_article_1015811_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Smit: Lions bigger than RWC

cc880d85038e44a6816e4823c6ea3d99.jpg

Durban - South Africa's three-match series against the British and Irish Lions is more special than the World Cup, Springbok captain John Smit said on Friday.

Smit skippered the Boks to World Cup glory in France two years ago, and stayed on to play in the Top 14 with Clermont.

But he then turned his back on a lucrative extension on his contract with the French club specifically to return to South Africa with a starting berth against the Lions his main objective.

"It's a big occasion," admitted Smit, speaking ahead of the first Test in nearby Durban on Saturday. "It will almost be a sigh of relief to wake up and realise the waiting is finally over.

"It is such a rare occasion, it has been a big build-up and a big wait.

"I just pray the quality of the game matches the hype and excitement of the last two years."

The Lions, comprising the cream of the four 'home nations' of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, tour every four years and were last in South Africa 12 years ago, when a Jerry Guscott drop-goal sealed a 2-1 series win.

"There was no injustice in 1997," Smit said. "It was a hugely disappointing moment, and one we've obviously had to reminisce on.

"But it doesn't form any part of our campaign. It's a lifetime away."

Smit said that playing the Lions was different from any other series the Boks play.

"Certainly there is a difference," the 81-time capped hooker-cum-prop said.

"The Lions is the last real old-school series that is left.

"It's important that as a code, union is just so unique to any other sport as it holds onto those things.

"It's not just our series but it carries more than 100 years of history. The hype has been much bigger than any other Test match."

Smit added: "It will be hugely contested because there's so much at stake and we won't have another chance to relive this.

"There are not many players on either side who'll be around in 12 years time for another crack."

It had made his job as captain that much easier, Smit acknowledged, joking that he had not had to rejig his "Braveheart" speech to motivate the Springbok squad.

"To be quite frank, there's not a lot I've felt I've needed to do from a motivational point of view.

"We've had two very productive weeks. We're pretty happy, we've managed to cover all our bases."

World Cup glory was now kept as a "fond memory", Smit said, adding: "We have a similar group as in 2007. We draw on those experiences in tight games. It can only ever help you.

"I could have camped out in Clermont, taking it easy and replaying the World Cup over and over, or come back here... the World Cup was phenomenal.

"It's also a one-off but comes around every four years, and to be fair most of this crew in this Springbok team will have another crack or two.

"What we've got tomorrow and the next two weeks won't come around again."[/b]
Source

26 more hours...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Col @ Jun 19 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 18 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also Jones in front of O'Gara?[/b]

Yes every day of the week! O'Gara couldn't tackle my grandmother and often flops under pressure.
[/b][/quote]
He slaughtered SA three years ago ... different times, sure - but that's something Jones has never done.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pjd7IHPpRyY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pjd7IHPpRyY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 19 2009, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pffff Spies.....overrated. Pretty much we can expect this from the start on saturday:
gallery_5897_117_12469.jpg
[/b]

Horrors you are expecting I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

horror_wallpaper_17.jpg

Boks also gearing up with soul for this match I like that

there will be blood :xena_banana: :xena_banana: :xena_banana: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured:

I guess that means the inter hemisphere love-in is over...

FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT-FIGHT...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jun 19 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 19 2009, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pffff Spies.....overrated[/b]

Ireland is overrated... :ph34r:
[/b][/quote]

The people who design the logos for these Rugby series down there be it Lions, Tri-Nations or S14 are overrated. God, are you all stuck in the 1990s in terms of graphic design?

Lekso, as always, provides the most important commentary in this thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 19 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your face is Overrated!...Probably why you're using that mask actually.[/b]

But i was only kidding. I love Ireland. It's so.... Green 'n rocky 'n stuff. :unsure:

...And my face is NOT overrated. :wah:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jun 19 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The people who design the logos for these Rugby series down there be it Lions, Tri-Nations or S14 are overrated. God, are you all stuck in the 1990s in terms of graphic design?[/b]

Yes, we are. South Africa will NEVER get out of the 90's... anyway, pretty rich coming from a nation who designed the 2012 Olympic Logo.

Seriously... WTF?

London2012.jpg

Oi! I'll have you know was designed my Matt Groening...

Look at the picture and squint...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jun 19 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jun 19 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The people who design the logos for these Rugby series down there be it Lions, Tri-Nations or S14 are overrated. God, are you all stuck in the 1990s in terms of graphic design?[/b]

Yes, we are. South Africa will NEVER get out of the 90's... anyway, pretty rich coming from a nation who designed the 2012 Olympic Logo.

Seriously... WTF?

London2012.jpg

[/b][/quote]

It hurts my eyes..........

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jun 20 2009, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jun 19 2009, 04:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pffff Spies.....overrated. Pretty much we can expect this from the start on saturday:
gallery_5897_117_12469.jpg
[/b]

Horrors you are expecting I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

horror_wallpaper_17.jpg

Boks also gearing up with soul for this match I like that

there will be blood :xena_banana: :xena_banana: :xena_banana: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :gun_smiley: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :doctor1df: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured: :injured:
[/b][/quote]

This is, by far, the single most epic post I have ever seen grace any forum on the internet.

Lekso's massive picture posts are back!

Latest posts