• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2003 - It's all about St Jonny

Neither bitter, nor Welsh since you're wondering. Not saying I wouldn't have selected JW for England at the time because there was a dearth of talent in that position. He would of course have looked a lot stronger if he had a quality back line outside him but virtuoso backs, particularly centres and fullbacks, have been in short supply in England teams for years. May, of the current squad, qualifies as world class and Youngs possibly also but between those positions, not much.
admire go on GIF

Of course, I'm just giving an opinion, as everyone is. It isn't a science. The idea of the 'highlights reel test' was not about going off to play youtube clips. We could all look like worldbeaters if you leave out the howlers! I meant to put together your own memories of those moments, over time, where you've actually seen, live or on tv, the player turn a match or perform a piece of brilliance in their position, from open or set plays, that sets them apart. Think of just a few of the best F/Hs around JWs time, Davies, Carter, Larkham, Mertens. What about a little earlier- B. John, Bennett, Ella. JW was dependable, solid, not very quick but a good link and distributor. But, having seen him play many, many matches I just can't recall the moments where he did things to put him in the company of those players. Everyone's favourite player, especially the greatest, has those moments when you say, 'remember when he .....' . So yes, when I hear people talk about how he was the best, or even great, I don't also hear them say what things he ever, let alone regularly, did as a F/H to make them think that. IMHO.

SO...the "highlight reel test"....is not about highlight reels?...surely you can see how people might be confused....this might explain your comment about him being a poor tackler...what you mean is he was a very good tackler...starting to make sense now

Neither bitter, nor Welsh since you're wondering. Not saying I wouldn't have selected JW for England at the time because there was a dearth of talent in that position. He would of course have looked a lot stronger if he had a quality back line outside him but virtuoso backs, particularly centres and fullbacks, have been in short supply in England teams for years. May, of the current squad, qualifies as world class and Youngs possibly also but between those positions, not much.

*mutters under breath* please don't be a kiwi....please don't be a kiwi

Last edited:
Since my opinion about St Jonny's inclusion in the F/H canon has been treated with such disbelief by my fellow posters I shall withdraw from this topic to lick my wounds. Your arguments have soundly put me in my place and I will certainly think twice in future before posting any similar outlandish views. ILY all for putting me straight.

So, can we all now agree that JW was the best English Fly-Half of the last 50 years (I can't go back before that, too young :cool: ) .