• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2007 Will be the Best RWC in history

T

timmyhoran

Starting to get excited for this RWC. There is no doubt there are more teams in contension to make at least the Semis then ever before. Previous world cups you could pretty much Inc in the semi finalists before the tournement even started. Not this time. There are even some really great pool games with a lot riding on them.

Starting to get excited for this RWC. There is no doubt there are more teams in contension to make at least the Semis then ever before. Previous world cups you could pretty much Inc in the semi finalists before the tournement even started. Not this time. There are even some really great pool games with a lot riding on them.
[/b]
I am getting a little pumped too, I don't think it will be a terribly good World cup, the AB's are too far ahead and the god damn Aussie selectors continuously screw the Force players over and insist on having crap players in the team...so I will only be happy if some of the main offenders play crap in the pool matches and get injured so the selectors have to bring in real players.

Well, everyone is picking the semis to be nz, aus, saffas, and france..

I think it's only interesting cos france *could* get knocked out in pool play..

And scotland could get knocked out by italy..

and the all blacks are playing portugal and romania and could be looking at a century

Now if only the island teams came to the party.. It would make RWC's more of a spectacle

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I am getting a little pumped too, I don't think it will be a terribly good World cup, the AB's are too far ahead and the god damn Aussie selectors continuously screw the Force players over and insist on having crap players in the team...so I will only be happy if some of the main offenders play crap in the pool matches and get injured so the selectors have to bring in real players. [/b][/quote]

I can't think of any Force players who aren't in the team who should be. The Australian starting XV picks itself. That's the advantage of having no depth

I can't think of any Force players who aren't in the team who should be. The Australian starting XV picks itself. That's the advantage of having no depth
[/b]
Well personally I would have thought Cam Shephard was a shoe-in, definetely ahead of most of most of the wingers and fullbacks currently in the starting squad, I think my real gripe is the multitude of Reds and Waratahs players in the squad despite thier failure to perform during Super 14, the starting 15 however doesn't really pick itself as no matter what they managed to pull off this last tri nations they aren't really up to the calibre of previous teams, it's probably too late now but the tried and tested (see: old and worn) Wallabies aren't the most awe inspiring squad, despite the fact we could just as easily bring in some talented youngsters, keep some of your more useful experienced players and have a crack at the cup, not just hope that the AB's self destruct like last cup....

Perhaps I am too much wishing for the days when we didn't mind giving it a crack....

Yeah, NZ are out in front, but are not looking quite so invincible now - not so much due to themselves, but a lot of other teams are looking improved, and there are many who will be fighting for the semi's and if they click on their day could test the kiwis

NZ seem to have a slightly weakened midfield since Tana's retirement, the replacements have comparable skills/abilities, but possibly not the same experience or decision making. If McCaw's concussion prone bonce takes a knock then their confidence will take a serious knock, they finally lost a game too...

So after that you have quite a few teams, that could easily turn it on:
South Africa - on pure ability and form probably second placed
France - home team will make the french play to their best
Australia - always very professional, came from nowhere to the final in the last world cup, cannot count recent form, also beat the AB's
Ireland - Were playing magnificent rugby, and until recently were stuffing everyone they played,
Wales - wierd things happening with wales, don't really understand where they're going, but if they get their internal problems sorted out can play devastating rugby.

I hate to say it, but even england maybe start being worthy of a mention, if they manage to put in another improving performance against france in paris

Couldn't agree with this topic more.. This'll be the closest RWC ever. There are at least 6 teams in contention, but on the day any side could step up and create an upset.

I think Argentina are without a doubt the most underrated side there, and their pool will certainly be the one to watch. I have a feeling Argentina will upset a major team and get through to the quarters, which leaves either france or Ireland behind.. Hey, if Argentina can upset france in the opening game, we have one hell of a world cup on our hands!

I don't even want to call the semi-finalists for fear of jinxing the Springboks, but i really thing the Springboks have the easiest run into the semi-finals - if we top our pool and beat england, and most likely face wales.. If we lose to england, Australia will be a lot harder to beat.

Can't wait.. This is going to be the greatest sporting event the world has ever seen

England v SA is going to be a cruncher - watch the Boks be pushed off their own scrumball! Not so much going on in the center for either team, but Percy/Habana/Steyn are great - and the English back three can do damage as well.

Lynagh said today the RWC is going to be all about strength - so Ireland lose out on that score, and ABs, SA and England (and France, if they get their props back) are the ones to watch. Argentina a possibility.

For me, it's about platforms, tactical kicking, and slicing through the midfield and out wide - so Ireland and Aus are still in.

I think every World Cup to date has been close (maybe par 1987) with many teams that put their hand up. But, I do have to agree this one is looking exceptionally tighter than the previous. If we compare to the last WC in Australia for an example, there was a near assurance of who would make the knock out stage. However, in contrast to this time round there are many that could easily miss out. Pool D (either France, Argentina or Ireland) and C (Italy or Scotland) especially. Samoa could rock the boat of England in Pool A, and Fiji could spark something against Wales in Pool B. You just never know.

The only three for a definiate chance are New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

YEAH Baby! It's going to be a cracker!! Started working on my "Wlf can't come to work today because..." list today :p

YEAH Baby! It's going to be a cracker!! Started working on my "Wlf can't come to work today because..." list today :p
[/b]
While I go to uni I am also working for my dad right, so I get instant time off for the finals of course, but he is going to be at a conference during the pool stages so I am basically going to have the whole world cup working half days etc. :p

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I am getting a little pumped too, I don't think it will be a terribly good World cup, the AB's are too far ahead and the god damn Aussie selectors continuously screw the Force players over and insist on having crap players in the team...so I will only be happy if some of the main offenders play crap in the pool matches and get injured so the selectors have to bring in real players. [/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

That's because Connolly failed to create any depth in the past year.

Players such as Barnes, Turner, Polata-Nau and Holmes should've been used against Wales or Fiji this year. Now Barnes is the only one out of those three in the squad and he's hasn't a cap to his name.

Also, Jeremy Paul is still the best hooker Australia has. I think it's rather unprofessional of Connolly to leave him out of the squad because of his own personal dislike of him.

Al Baxter, Drew Mitchell and David Lyons should be back at home playing in the ARC.

I think we could've gone to France with a far superior team. Now we've only good a 'good' team that'll probably go no further than the semis or will be embarassingly knocked out at the quarter final stage.

Latest posts