Auckland v Tasman
Auckland

0-0

24 Oct
Counties Manukau v Hawke's Bay
Pukekohe

0-0

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to try and watch as much as this as I can, who should I support? I have no idea about any of the teams in the ITM :p

Is it that Canterbury always open their campaign against Hawkes Bay

Hawkesbay started off against Auckland last year if i remember correctly.. and Canterbury against Manawatu. Both big unions losing to the small ones.
Canterbury have been notoriously slow starters for the last couple of years, heres hoping that continues with a Hawkesbay thrashing.

I'm going to try and watch as much as this as I can, who should I support? I have no idea about any of the teams in the ITM :p

Its my favorite rugby tournament outside of the world cup, the style of rugby is just great to watch and this is where the future All Blacks announce themselves. This year is going to be even more interesting because next year the ITM will be cut from 14 to only 7 teams, with 7 dropping down to the 2nd division. All of the teams, even powerhouses like Auckland and Otago are in very real trouble of dropping out of the cup, if a team doesnt place 7 or higher they are gone.

I'll give you a rundown of the teams and let you pick your own team to support:

Northland Based in Whangarei and comprising of players from the upper-most tip of the North Island. They are a run-and-gun style team who are known for just throwing the ball around and almost seeming to not really care about the result of the match. They are perennial cellar dwellers mainly due to their constant lack of a decent forward pack , their backs are a pleasure to watch however, producing players such as Rupeni Caucau, the Going brothers and Rene Ranger.
Star Players Rene Ranger is the undisputed star of Northland, he has the ability to demolish any defense in the competition, he may be out for some games on AB duty though.David Holwell has also put off his retirement for another year to try and get Northland into the Top 7, even at this age hes probably one of the top 5 flyhalves in NZ. Jared Payne Is captaining the side from fullback and is international standard in my opinion, but if theres anywhere NZ has depth, its at fullback.
Future Stars Bryce Heem has already played for the NZ barbarians this year, apparently he is very very quick. Mikeli Tu'u is a hooker with the ball skills of a back who should push hard for a S14 spot this year

North Harbour Based in Albany just north of Auckland. They are the team that just cant quite seem to sort their **** out, they have a top stadium, loads of cash and sharp players but have inexplicably struggled for the last few seasons. They typically have a solid platform and have alot of firepower in the backs, they can be frustrating to watch at times though as they just dont seem to have the percision to unleash their outsides.
Star Players Luke McAllister is Harbours marquee player, with no All Blacks duty he should do some damage for them. Chris Smylie is argueably the best sniping halfback in the country, hes an amazing runner but has yet to sort out the finer points of his game
Future Stars Nafi Tuitivake and Ken Pisi are both deadly wingers and former age grade stars. Ben Afeaki is 6'4 and about 130kgs worth of prop and barely 22.

Auckland They have been the top dog of NZ rugby for so long but are going through a rough patch in the last few seasons. They were known for their clinical, almost robotic precision in the 80s but that has faded away into a bit of a hotch potch mess. They appeared directionless at times last season which could have something to do with coach issues and the fact that they couldn't find a decent flyhalf. This year they have bought in a very smooth operator in Matt Berquist so who knows what to expect from them this time around.
Star Players Brent Ward, Ben Atiga and Toby Morland and Daniel Braid are all seasoned pros returning this year.
Future Stars Winston Stanley, Liaki Moli and Ash Dixon are all very powerful former agegrade stars who should make the step up to the All Blacks in the next 5-10 years.

Counties-ManukauJonah Lomus old team. Counties covers South Auckland, which incase you didn't know contains the largest concentration of pacific islanders on the planet. This should give you an idea of the style of play, the strengths and weaknesses of the team, just imagine the Samoan rugby team. Big hits, flashy moves, amazing skills but on the wrong end of the scoreboard all too often. These guys are the odds on favorites for the wooden spoon.
Star Players Tana Umaga is back noone knows yet how is old legs are holding up. Fullback Tim Nanai-Williams is the real star, everything he does is so silky and skillfully done, hes one of my favourite players to watch in world rugby.
Future Stars Fritz Lee is a young loose forward that hits like a cement truck, you will no doubt see this guy KOing someone on Youtube in the near future. Sherwin Stowers isn't really that young anymore but he must be in line for higher honours after making everyone look silly on the sevens circuit this year, guy has acceleration that would make Jason Robinson jealous.

Waikato Based in Hamilton and one of the 5 S14 bases. These guys have assembled a composed, balanced side for this years ITM. They have class from 1-15 and should be a real threat for the ***le. They could play any style they choose with the players available so it should be interesting to see how they play their cards tactics-wise.
Star Players Former ABs Stephen Donald, Brendon Leonard and Aled De Malmance will be the cornerstones of this team. Watch for barnstorming front rower Hikairo Forbes aswell, he devastating runner who plays more like a league prop, If you have some spare cash hes a good bet to score a few tries this year.
Future Stars Tawera Kerr-Barlow became one of the youngest players in NZ to sign a professional contract a few years ago, he looks set to become NZs first world class halfback since Justin Marshall. Christian Lealiifano Is an NZ born Aussie who has popped over for the season to sharpen up before playing for the Brumbies again next year, he could well be a Wallaby in a few years.

Bay of Plenty Based in Roturua and Tauranga in the middle of the North Island. The Steamers have earned a reputation as overachievers over the last few seasons, they are a gritty and determined side who grind out a lot of victories in games that they should lose on paper. While they don't really have the raw pace of some of the Blues catchment teams, they are incredibly creative with the ball and it is a pleasure to see them skillfully and cleverly carve through defenses. They have a large contingent of top sevens players in the side and they style of play in the backs reflects this, at times its like watching a sevens side paired up with a grafting tight 5, which i think is pretty awesome.
Star Players Colin Bourke Is a ball running 8 who has drawn alot of comparisons to Zinzan Brooke, he really should have kicked on to the ABs by now. Mike Delaney Doesnt look like much but hes a very tricky customer at flyhalf, he is deceptively quick off the mark and its not uncommon to see him weave a pass behind his back or dart out from his goal line. Tanerau Latimer and Lelia Masaga are both international class prospects aswell.
Future Stars Taniela Moa has all the skills and raw talent to command an AB spot right now if he can sort out his attitude and temperment. Luke Braid is looking the odds on favorite to be McCaws long-term replacement at this stage

Last edited:
I'm feeling North Harbour, big fan of McAllister since he was at Sale

If you're from outside of New Zealand and want to follow someone, I suggest that you go for someone like Southland, Manawatu or Hawkes Bay. All those provinces are smaller than the big cities but they punch above their weight and are feel good teams.

I wonder if southland could keep up the good performance of last season.

What about following Taranaki? They seem alright and Jonathan Spratt played for them a couple of seasons ago. I think that's a good enough link!!
Doesn't Ripia play for them too?

Taranki isn't a bad team, but I saw one of their home games in 2009 and wasn't really impressed by them.

What about following Taranaki? They seem alright and Jonathan Spratt played for them a couple of seasons ago. I think that's a good enough link!!
Doesn't Ripia play for them too?

Yes Taranaki still has Ripia. They traditionally have a good forward pack (which is still the case), but they have recruited really well in the off-season, adding 3 quality backs (Tyson Keats, Andre Taylor, and Kurt Baker), and also have had David Smith loaned to them from Wellington. They will have a much stronger back-line this year than last year, based around Keats and Ripia in the halves, with a back three of Smith, Taylor, and Baker. I'd expect them to finish mid-table or better this season.

Yes Taranaki still has Ripia. They traditionally have a good forward pack (which is still the case), but they have recruited really well in the off-season, adding 3 quality backs (Tyson Keats, Andre Taylor, and Kurt Baker), and also have had David Smith loaned to them from Wellington. They will have a much stronger back-line this year than last year, based around Keats and Ripia in the halves, with a back three of Smith, Taylor, and Baker. I'd expect them to finish mid-table or better this season.

They also picked up George Pisi and James Broadhurst so it was a good outing for Taranaki this off season.
I disagree about the side being based around Ripia and Keats, Ripia is in very real trouble of losing his starting jersey to Beauden Barrett. He has been shown up by the teenager through the whole pre season and to be fair he has never really set the world alight for Taranaki. With the form of Cody Rei in club play i wouldn't be too suprised to see Ripia drop out of the 22 on occasion throughout the year if he doesn't really catch fire early in the season.

Keats doesn't have a guaranteed start either, Brett Goodin is very classy and is probably a more physically talented player. The coaching staff have told him that he doesn't communicate well enough and needs to be more vocal on the field, if he can sort that out he could start just as many games in the 9 jersey as Keats does this year.

The real linchpin of the Taranaki team will be Jayden Hayward at 2nd five, he will be the backline general and has a pretty tough task ahead trying to get a bunch of strangers firing. The whole squad looks strong but ironically their weakness seems to be the frontrow, if they can just gain parity in the the scrum then i can definitely see Taranaki nabbing a semifinal spot.

I root for Hawkes Bay. Love thir forward pack (esp the front row) and Karl Lowe. Shame thay lost Jason Shoemark and Berquist by the looks of it though.

I root for Hawkes Bay. Love thir forward pack (esp the front row) and Karl Lowe. Shame thay lost Jason Shoemark and Berquist by the looks of it though.

Shoemark is still playing for HB (though I think this is his last season). Berquist is a loss as he is very solid at this level, however Kirkpatrick should be a good replacement. Kirkpatrick was a star at age grade level, but hasn't really kicked on much in the last couple of years - a full season starting for HB could be very beneficial for him.

They also picked up George Pisi and James Broadhurst so it was a good outing for Taranaki this off season.
I disagree about the side being based around Ripia and Keats, Ripia is in very real trouble of losing his starting jersey to Beauden Barrett. He has been shown up by the teenager through the whole pre season and to be fair he has never really set the world alight for Taranaki. With the form of Cody Rei in club play i wouldn't be too suprised to see Ripia drop out of the 22 on occasion throughout the year if he doesn't really catch fire early in the season.

Keats doesn't have a guaranteed start either, Brett Goodin is very classy and is probably a more physically talented player. The coaching staff have told him that he doesn't communicate well enough and needs to be more vocal on the field, if he can sort that out he could start just as many games in the 9 jersey as Keats does this year.

The real linchpin of the Taranaki team will be Jayden Hayward at 2nd five, he will be the backline general and has a pretty tough task ahead trying to get a bunch of strangers firing. The whole squad looks strong but ironically their weakness seems to be the frontrow, if they can just gain parity in the the scrum then i can definitely see Taranaki nabbing a semifinal spot.

Oops I forgot about Pisi - he will be another important player for them. I'd be very surprised if Ripia was surpassed by Barrett this year - Ripia is an experienced Super 14 player and generally performs very well at this level, while Barrett has yet to even play at this level. Similarly I'd be surprised if Goodin got many starts ahead of Keats. I actually think Goodin is a good player, however Keats has been very impressive over the last year - he was probably the form halfback of the whole ITM cup last year, and performed well for the Canes this year (keeping Weepu out of the starting lineup for a few weeks).

I agree Hayward will be important again this year - he was very good last year. He was, however, a disappointment for the Highlanders this year - I was expecting him to own the 12 jersey, but he was very poor in the games he played (particularly on defense).

I expect Taranaki should be able to get parity against most scrums. Bent and Cleaver are both promising props, while Corlett is an experienced hooker, who is solid at this level. Your right though, there front row is certainly not the strength that it has been in past!

Paid a fortune for a Southland jersey in Queenstown, so may as well get some use out of it! Go Southland! :D

Shoemark is still playing for HB (though I think this is his last season). Berquist is a loss as he is very solid at this level, however Kirkpatrick should be a good replacement. Kirkpatrick was a star at age grade level, but hasn't really kicked on much in the last couple of years - a full season starting for HB could be very beneficial for him.

Oops I forgot about Pisi - he will be another important player for them. I'd be very surprised if Ripia was surpassed by Barrett this year - Ripia is an experienced Super 14 player and generally performs very well at this level, while Barrett has yet to even play at this level. Similarly I'd be surprised if Goodin got many starts ahead of Keats. I actually think Goodin is a good player, however Keats has been very impressive over the last year - he was probably the form halfback of the whole ITM cup last year, and performed well for the Canes this year (keeping Weepu out of the starting lineup for a few weeks).

I agree Hayward will be important again this year - he was very good last year. He was, however, a disappointment for the Highlanders this year - I was expecting him to own the 12 jersey, but he was very poor in the games he played (particularly on defense).

I expect Taranaki should be able to get parity against most scrums. Bent and Cleaver are both promising props, while Corlett is an experienced hooker, who is solid at this level. Your right though, there front row is certainly not the strength that it has been in past!

Honestly i would put money on Ripia losing his spot if i could, Barrett has dominated the preseason, hes got a running game that Ripia can only dream of and he gets his backline firing better than Ripia has ever done in his career, hes a much more reliable defender aswell. The only saving grace for Ripia at the moment is that he doesnt make many mistakes and his goal kicking can be very good. Think about it, what outstanding plays has Ripia pulled off in his career? his highlight reel would be very short even though he has been handed a whole lot of opportunites.
They even play for the same club side and Ripia was forced to the bench by the youngster. Barrett will overtake Ripia and he will run off to join the Melbourne Rebels.

Keats is a very solid player, but he doesn't have a great upside. The player he is now is the best hes ever going to be, whereas Goodin still has a whole lot of room to grow and could develop into a better player than Keats ever was in the long run, thats why i think he will get his share of time in the 9 jersey. I dont really like how Keats gets praise heaped upon him for unseating Weepu in the canes, sure he was chosen over Weepu during the super 14, but that doesnt mean it was a good decision, Keats had no business getting the start over Weepu and i think Cooper really messed up there.

Latest posts