• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/13 Premiership] Round 6

As I said Saints giving Sarries a total hammering!!! 4 tries to nil and Jim Mallender actually smiled....just the once but there is no doubt it was a smile!!

Impressed, as have been all season, by Myler who must now be playing better than when he was capped?!

Wuss taking a bit of a beating against Exeter. Things look bleak for them already

Well the warriors are continuing to show their dominance in the premiership....

So Harden managed to give away 5 penalties in 53 minutes, Dawidiuk 3 penalties in 51 minutes and Edmonds 2 in 29.

Makes you wonder how Glos would do if we had even just a mediocre front row.

Delighted with the performance today. Performed the basics extremely well and our attack was clinical on the back of that. Our set piece on the whole went really giving the likes of Foden a platform to play off. Simple Rugby but really effective when produced correctly.

To score 40 points against a team like Sarries is really pleasing.

Good win for Wasps (HUGE defence......something like 90+ tackles ((EDIT actually 127) and a 99% success rate) although Tigers were down some 17 players who could be in the first team........and had Cockers back!

Last edited:
I just wanted to bring this point up again.

On Friday, Bath had total dominance of the Bath-Glos game. The scrum utterly destroyed Glos' (numerous penalties were given away). The lineout started wobbly but Bath ended up winning there too. The forwards were piling over the collision. The pack was utterly, utterly dominant. 64% possession. 69% territory. Glos made more than double the tackles of Bath and missed a bigger percentage of tackles.

So why wasn't Bath able to score a single try? I've said before that I don't particularly rate the Bath back line. I know it was really bad conditions, but with such dominance, better teams would have won by more than 2 points and at least have scored a try.

Ford was terrible, and Eastmond is not the right player for a wet weather match (England, take note).

Ford has kicked or run pretty much everything so far this season.
And it's worked for the most part - but he had a shocker last night - just did not seem to want to use his backline.
Eastmond's barely been passed the ball.

The other issue is that JJ doesn't seem to want to commit to a running line.
By that I mean he run's towards a gap and Kyle passes him the ball flat, but he doesn't try and run through the gap - he tries to use his feet and moves laterally.

When Eastmond really shone last season for Bath and with England it was when he had people running at gaps, at speed.
That's not really happened for him this season.

I have to say I was mightily impressed with Andy Goode and Joe Simpson. I thought at the start of the season that Carlisle should be the guy to start and he'd get the back line moving well. But today I think Andy Goode proved me wrong.
Also I was really impressed with Mullan and Cooper Wooley! But still don't know why Festuccia is getting picked over Lindsay.
Also think Chris bell and Jacobs should be the centre partnership from now on.

COYW!!

Only caught the last 20mins of the game, but thought Haskell looked very hungry for work, and his tackling and ruck work was top notch (ignoring a penalty or two, that is - clearing out was spot on).

Big game for Wasps, albeit taking advantage of an understrength Tiger's side.

Regarding Quins win, which really did surprise me, I feel very satisfied that Clifford justified his selection in a Premiership game. I really hope he gets more time during the international window and really stakes a claim for more game time later in the season.

I have to say I was mightily impressed with Andy Goode and Joe Simpson. I thought at the start of the season that Carlisle should be the guy to start and he'd get the back line moving well. But today I think Andy Goode proved me wrong.
Also I was really impressed with Mullan and Cooper Wooley! But still don't know why Festuccia is getting picked over Lindsay.
Also think Chris bell and Jacobs should be the centre partnership from now on.

COYW!!

Agree about Goode and Simpson being the difference between the sides, and also Cooper_woolley who I think has been the signing of the summer at tight-head. As somebody pointed out on another thread, the irony of Cardiff Blues bemoaning the lack of tight-heads there at present - well clearly they weren't smart enough to notice Cooper-Woolley who was plying his trade in the same city for Cardiff!

Don't agree with you about Festuccia - in my opinion he's been a great signing, he's a far more rounded package than Lindsay with his throwing, scrummaging, tackling and carrying. For his size, Lindsay does not frequently enough make the expected impact and he's also an average scrummager and I would say, poor thrower.

Chris Bell played a blinder - back to his gainline-breaking best and playing with the distributive skills a bosh-centre also needs. Top awareness and pass for Wade's try.
Daly also played a blinder - I think that longer term he's the only one with the potential to challenge Manu Tuilagi, and possibly our most talented 15. I remember Peat describing him as England's Halfpenny but with potential to be better - that's the way I like to think of it!

As for this game and our prospects this season, I'm grateful for the win, and it shows that as can play some slick and intelligent rugby rather than simply relying on our wingers' pace - but in my opinion we are still not ready to win away games and for that reason I do feel pretty certain we're looking at 7th or below.

Do you not think we can make in to the HC ?
Nah the quality of the sides this year will make it very difficult for wasps to get HC, my predictions would be 1. Worcester warriors 2. Leicester 3. northampton 4 saracens 5 harlequins 6. Exeter/ Bath

Do you not think we can make in to the HC ?

We have the players to win some away games but we can rarely get them onto a field together. We don't have the strength in depth to cope with injuries to quality players like Masi or Varndell, and we have pretty poor front row depth. Even the injury to Southwell leaves us in trouble because we then shift Daly to full-back and are then bereft of midfield creativity; all of our fit centres, Bell, hayter, Helu, Jacobs and Suniula are big bosh centres who aren't quite big or skillful enough to make a useful difference, besides Bell. However, we're a better side than last season;

We've made some really excellent signings who look to be top quality, such as Nathan Hughes from the Blues and Guy Thompson from Jersey, and regardless of prejudice against Andy Goode because of his beer belly/terrible hair, he's a far better, more influential and consistent performer than Nicky Robinson ever was, and better than the Stephen Jones of his latter years. Talking of Stephen Jones, his role as attacking coach might have to be reconsidered at some point because he's really not had an impact; last game was better but otherwise we've been lacklustre going forward and only truly dangerous when counter-attacking.

All told I'm happy with most areas of the squad, but depth - not number of players but number of players of top quality - is an issue, and I don't think we have the steel or precision of execution to win away games against sides with big forward packs, like Sarries or Saints.

Last edited:
The Daly issue is also not going to be helped if England tell him to play at 15. He's said that he wants to know where they see him as an option at and frankly, with Tuilagi the first choice and (it seems) Tompkins his deputy it is hard to belive that the England management will tell him to play at outside centre to improve his prospects of a call up.

Is he the long term Full back for England? Rather than Watson or Nowell Or Dare I say it Goode

I see Daly as a long term full-back. I don't think he's physical enough to be an international centre. He has got most of the skills needed in obnoxious qualities and is young enough to learn the others.

Latest posts