• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 Pro12] Round 12

So are you saying he should have compounded a bad decision with another bad decision?

He binned O'Connell after the warning. Binning O'Mahony when the ref/touch judge saw they made a mistake would have been a terrible call.

No but I'm saying he should have either went the full way when he said 'I'll be binning the player who had hands in the ruck' (something along the lines of that) and Ulster should have gotten the penalty and card, OR he realizes his mistake which he does acknowledge and gives Ulster the line out where it was kicked out.

Yeah but the POC binning was a good 6 or so minutes after this incident

I'd want to rewatch - but I think a ruck had formed there. I think the ball had touched the ground and the reason it came off the ground is that Gilroy was trying to pass it back, which while technically illegal is never really an offence. Could be wrong though. God knows what did happen - but to me, either's that an offence and the threatened yellow card, or not a penalty at all. I'd love to hear Rolland's reasoning, I expect we'd all learn something.

Sloppy game. Too many handling and ruck errors and we let them back in. No real answer to their maul. Should have sharpened us up nicely, so hopefully sorta the same again against Montpellier and then we can go for the big one against Leicester.

Re - the Second Row/Henderson thing - in the loose Tuohy and Henderson were superior, but I'd have expected more out of our scrum, and the maul wasn't all that. I suspect the second row might have had something to do with that. My views on Henderson's future is well known, so I shan't go into it, but at the moment I don't think Henderson is a top class lock - but I do think he'd be the perfect fit for the Ireland 19 shirt at the moment.

Fitzgerald out through illness, Kearney in and Macken on the bench. Bummer.

George Clancy displaying his usual empathy for the game..................he's overly fussy and talks to players as a headmaster does his students. Thank Christ he can't poison the Irish team at international level with his refereeing masterclasses.

EDIT - I can blame George Clancy all I want but his refereeing doesn't make Brian O'Driscoll shoot out of the defensive line (again) and lead to a score.

5-0 to Connacht. Fionn Carr with the try after Robbie Henshaw's break and nicely floated pass.

EDIT 2 - Leinster need an attack coach.

Last edited:
George Clancy displaying his usual empathy for the game..................he's overly fussy and talks to players as a headmaster does his students. Thank Christ he can't poison the Irish team at international level with his refereeing masterclasses.

EDIT - I can blame George Clancy all I want but his refereeing doesn't make Brian O'Driscoll shoot out of the defensive line (again) and lead to a score.

5-0 to Connacht. Fionn Carr with the try after Robbie Henshaw's break and nicely floated pass.

Desperately. This is an experienced Leinster team and they look so flat.

Desperately. This is an experienced Leinster team and they look so flat.
It's just like the Gaffney years. 1st phase isn't a problem and neither is counter attack. Issues arise when Leinster have had the ball for a few phases and look absolutely clueless, just trucking it up and hoping something will happen.

8-3 to Connacht early in the 2nd half.

Seeing Clancy dropped from the 6N referees was a highlight of 2013 for me.

I noticed BOD charging out the line for the Northampton try and another near try in the Aviva Stadium game as well. Likeliest bet is that his age and diminishing pace is making the spot blitz defence tactic harder for him to perform, either that or just poor defensive reading which is less likely given his excellent rugby brain.

To be fair to Clancy, today he's been pretty good. In general though....ugh.

O'Driscoll shooting out of the line often seems to be good reads - he's always close to the intercept. The problem is he now lacks pace and often gets caught in no mans land. When it doesn't come off, it hurts the team because opponents always make big line breaks.

It's just like the Gaffney years. 1st phase isn't a problem and neither is counter attack. Issues arise when Leinster have had the ball for a few phases and look absolutely clueless, just trucking it up and hoping something will happen.

8-3 to Connacht early in the 2nd half.

I know what you mean. It's like they need the first couple phases to work out otherwise they fizzle out. Pretty much if the plan isn't spoon fed to them they don't know what to do. It's strange though because these players have shown off the cuff brilliance in the past so it's not a case of having robotic players who can't think outside of what they are told to do. I don't know if this is root of the problem but Madigan wasn't very assured with his duties in general play. Passing and kicking very sub par. Gopperth on atm so will see if it makes any difference.

edit. Was just thinking about how much Dave Kearney has progressed. A season or so ago I couldn't see him being any more than a Rabo or maybe HC player but he seems to have added some extra power to his game. Consistently makes ground. Breaks tackles now and then. Good pace. Stands out a lot more than his older brother for me.

Last edited:
9-8 to Leinster now. 63 gone.

Dave Kearney has been the away team's best player. For the home team, it's probably Robbie Henshaw followed by Kieran Marmion.

EDIT - now 16-8 to Leinster after a D'arcy try. 6 left.

Last edited:
Leinster got lucky with that "clear and obvious" crap. That looked pretty damn forward. Hope Leinster realise that this win doesn't gloss over the fact they were s**** tonight. Connacht deserve at least a losing BP.

Yep, TG4's crap camera angles meant the try was awarded. Jordi Murphy is MotM.

EDIT - poor performance but Leinster leave Galway with 4 more points than they got there last year.

Last edited:
Hard to name any stand outs. Connacht's were Carty, Leader and Marmion for me. Healy's a nippy little player and didn't do much wrong. I think Connacht are building a decent team. Very young with lots of potential. They'd do well to hold on to their talent. They show endeavor and have skillful players with pace in the backs. The team may look awful going by the table standings but they aren't losing by much. They need more than just the xv they have on the pitch. I hope they can build squad depth over time.

For Leinster it's a bit worrying. Near full strength line up but you'd think otherwise with the way they played. McGrath, Murphy and Heaslip did well. Yeah. Madigan AND Gopperth were poor. With no alternative in that position we may have to get used to seeing a not so dangerous Leinster backline. It was also another one of those games where you'd think D'Arcy and BOD are really past it but then you look like an idiot for criticising them when all of a sudden they pull out a decent showing later on in the HC or for Ireland etc. I'd kill to have the Ulster backline atm. Very attractive rugby.

edit. Actually D'Arcy was industrious but as a midfield MEH.

Last edited:
http://www.saltyrunning.com/2012/05/14/overcoming-injury-and-the-im-back-run/

I'm back :D

Sorry I haven't had chance to write as was away travelling but still got to see Munster all the time and well after seeing the 2 Irish derbies weekend I must say Irish rugby is in great place. Our refs are desperate though and Rolland especially should be retired immediately (Stood down for month) and he gone at end of season anyway.

Starting with tonight, Connacht did well and the 2 academy lads at 10&15 showed well and can be proud. Leinster were as expected average as they are bubbling up for next 2 weeks. What I will add is I hope Heaslip goes to France as Leinster have few gems like Jordi Murphy so Heaslip gone will benefit Ireland.

As for last night, better team won but their pack were poor and well the fact we could've sneaked it (arguably should have) says enough. But I will say if Payne plays 13 for Ireland I will be disappointed as he's a good 13 but a world class 15.

As for us - pack were excellent and well unfortunately all injuries are bad news but there was silver lining. Casey was super and reminded me of Fla. Foley made his presence known and Duncan didn't kill us at 9. But we learnt a lot and it was perfect warm up for next weekend.

Just sad that Rolland ruined it. Don't get me wrong Ulster deserved win but seriously. He told POM he was fine and it was player on ground was offender, goes to TMO and it only POM and Ulster players there then realized he screwed up and makes up a spiel of crap

How the **** was that try given wow, It was obviously forward on 3 angles. Pretty poor stuff which is a tad concerning going to need to really step it up next week.

In fairness to TMO he had no clear angle and well in 1 or 2 angles I thought it was very marginal so I suppose benefit goes with attacker

.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bGw_t8hSHPw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Gotta say - I thought Varley leaving helped Munster. We were picked off the odd throw from him, got nothing from Casey.

Agreed Peat but in fairness Varley has been having great season but is prone to dodgy darts. Casey has a superb eye and it's more the way he throws.

I refuse to blame Clancy for Leinster's win - they were the much better team than us in second half (when we once again didn't register a score)

Heaslip was immense for Leinster - but I have no doubt he should have been binned. Had Parks had the ball and Heaslip did what he did (ie No attempt to use arms in tackle) he prob would have been binned- don't understand why fact it was late was only a pen..

Also, how the tmo allowed the try at the end was rather baffling, but I'm sure Munster fans be saying we got away with it last week in Thomond at the death so swing and roundabouts..

Leader missed two kicks at goal, Carty missed difficult conversion- but I was most frustrated with the one Parks missed - he should have nailed that.. If he was still groggy from the late tackle then give it to Leader..

Bench made a massive impact for Leinster in this game. McCarthy was immense when he came on for second half, did 3 excellent choke tackles. Gopperth had much more of an impact than Madigan in the game when he came on..

For Connacht, thought Robbie Henshaw was fantastic- kept O'Driscoll quiet and left D-Kearney for dead with the try. Leader and Carty had very solid debuts- exciting prospects. I'd give Carty the start next week again vs Zebre.. In the pack, Browne, Kearney, Clarke, Muldoon and JHW played like men demented.. Like last week, was rather dissapointed with McKeon - he didn't do much wrong but he is much better than he performed tonight.. Griffin aswell wasn't great, but he is a 13 not a 12..

Gutted we didn't get atleast a LBP in that game, these moral victories are no good now that we are bottom of the table..