TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

THE 2013 CURRIE CUP FINAL!!! Ohw, and some promotion/relegation decider in Nelspruit

We start the weekend on Friday, when the Pumas take on Griquas in Nelspruit to try and achieve promotion to the top flight division. Last week, both teams played in Kimberley and a Griquas team relying on Springbok Willie Le Roux, beat the Pumas by 2 points because of a last-minute try by Marnus Schoeman. When the two teams meat in Mbombela Stadium, only a 3-point win is needed for a hungry Pumas side. Some people argue that this is a meaningless game since SARu is again discussing an expansion to 8 teams for the Premier Division. Nontheless, this is a nailbiter and both teams will be eager to win, despite the outcome of the expansion vote.

2nd​ leg Promotion/Relegation

Pumas.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
GWK Griquas.png

Hoffe Park, Kimberley (Saturday, 19:10 Local)

THE FINAL!!!

The Currie Cup final is here. The 2 best teams in the competition have made it through the semi's without breaking a sweat and we will see a replay (albeit a different location) of last years final. The Western Province team, unbeaten so far, host the Natal Sharks, who beat every team except WP this year.

The Capetonians ended the season topping the log with 2 draws and 8 wins (1 bonus point) and in the semi's they easily beat the Golden Lions, 33-16. With only 2 tries in that game, immediately the weakness of the Province team is shown. They only managed 1 bonus point for scoring 4 tries (in week 9 against that same Lions team). They managed a total of 23 tries scored, versus 21 conceded. Can they rely on the boot of Catrakilis to get them to the Cup? The Natal Sharks scored a total of 28 tries while conceding also 21. The Sharks team beat a fierce Cheetahs team in the semi's, in a replay of the semi final played in 2009 and 2011. Fred Zeilinga is on 91 points and will need only a conversion to pass Marnitz Boshoff (92) on the scoring list and become the top point scorer this season. Catrakilis (58) and Lambie (25) are nowehere near the top.

For WP, it's their first Currie Cup final at home since 2001. For the Sharks it's their second final on the road in 6 years (2011 in Jo'burg). However, they also had 3 finals at home in that same era (2008, 2010, 2012). This will be the 3rd final between the two played in Cape Town. In 1984, Western Province won 19-9 and in the earlier 2001 final the final score was 29-24. In 1995, 2010 and 2012 they met up in Durban with Natal winning the first two, but last years final ending in a WP victory. The numbers show that since the Currie Cup was decided by a final in 1939, Western Province played a total of 11 finals at home and this is their 26th final. Natal Sharks are playing in their 15th final and 6th on the road.

Enough numbers and let's look ahead at the clash itself. While last week we saw a game with arguably the 2 best hookers in the world (even NZ reporters said so), this week we will see a number of clashes unheard of at Currie Cup level. With the return of Willem Alberts, his match-up with Duane Vermeulen will definitely be one to look forward to. Both Springboks are strong runners with the ball and will meet each other more than once on Saturday. The fly-half position also sees a battle worth mentioning. Patrick Lambie has to prove he is the right man to follow up Morne Steyn, who moved to France. However, Demetri Catrakilis has shown he is also in the running for that spot. The "Greek Cat" played for the Kings in the Super Rugby season and returned a couple of weeks ago to join his mates back in Cape Town again. His drop-goal ability is certainly one that can change the outcome of the game. The second row battle between Pieter-Steph du Toit and Eben Etzebeth is a clash of the ***ans and with both players in Meyer's plans for the future, they will most likely be playing together in the Green and Gold not too long from now. Du Toit suffered several injuries that prevented him from making his debut yet, while Etzebeth jumped straight from the juniors to Super Rugby and leapfrogging the Currie Cup alltogether.

Perhaps the most anticipated match-up is in the center-department. Springbok-captain Jean de Villiers will definitely play for Western Province and will battle with his rival Francois Steyn. Steyn, who made his comeback last week after being out for 5 months, is a candidate for the no. 12 jersey in the Bok team but can also play full-back. Both players can be of value to the team of Heyneke Meyer but we will only see 1 of these in their preferred position this November. Furthermore, the back three will see Lwazi Mvovo, SP Marais and Odwa Ndungane taking on Gerhard van den Heever and the flashy Cheslin Kolbe and Gio Aplon. The latter putting his hand up for contention for the Springbok full-back position this season. Last but not least it's interesting to see how the youngsters will do. Heimar Williams, Kyle Cooper, Marcell Coetzee, Cobus Reinach, Louis Schreuder, Scarra Ntubeni, Frans Malherbe and Steven Kitshoff can all make the Bok squad with a good outing in the final.

Who will win? It remains to be seen. The Sharks team will try to beat the Western Province team after losing the first two encounters this season. If they do, it's a complete turn-around from last year where the Sharks won both round-robin games, only to lose the final at home. Are you excited? I know I am!

Western Province.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Natal Sharks.png

Newlands, Cape Town (Saturday, 17:00 Local)

Another final. I can't deal with the disappointment after the past two seasons, not sure if I can sit through another.

Looking forward to both games. The promotion/relegation match will be a huge affair. Pumas at home and Griquas with only only a 2 point lead... just wow.

The big one. WP vs Sharks in a rematch of last year with all those intriguing match-ups. Lekker! I feel we should be favorites but it's gonna be moer tight. At home, having gone unbeaten says we know how to grind out a result and then there is Catrakilis who goes into one of the cold rooms at SAB next door prior to a game to cool his blood. The defense, the game breaking capability of a number of players, key players in fine form.. I don't want to get ahead of myself as the Sharks are daunting opponents and when they turn it on they can put big numbers on any team but I am confident unlike last year where we were definate underdogs... for some reason I just lost my confidence o_O

Really looking forward to this and may the best team win - now 2013 - screw history as it is made on the day

The Cat is a good player. Criminally underrated, he has all the attributes to be a top flight standoff. He is far better than Jantjies and poor Goosen right now. Can't believe some are saying Goosen should tour, kid needs some time to get fit.

Bismarck NEEDS to control himself this game. Refs will start looking for him. Never got the calls for him to be captain, but his discipline seems to have slipped recently. Or he has just gotten less good at hiding his indiscretions.

This video gave me chills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the relegation match, got personal attachment to both teams.
Was born in Kimberley (Griquas) and later did 4 years of schooling there; did two years of primary school in Nelspruit (Pumas) as well as my final two years of secondary school.
Can tell you Nelspruit is 10 times the better place to live, environment and people.
So I am backing the Pumas on Saturday.

Chilling indeed Eze, good find and tx for sharing

Shark team announced!!!

15. SP Marais
14. Odwa Ndungane
13. Louis Ludik
12. Francois Steyn
11. Lwazi Mvovo
10. Patrick Lambie
9. Charl McLeod
8. Keegan Daniel (Captain)
7. Willem Alberts
6. Marcell Coetzee
5. Pieter-Steph du Toit
4. Peet Marais
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Bismarck du Plessis
1. Tendai Mtawarira

Replacements
16. Kyle Cooper
17. Wiehahn Herbst
18. Stephan Lewies
19. Jacques Botes
20. Cobus Reinach
21. Fred Zeilinga
22. Heimar Williams

No Deysel, no James, no Chadwick and others like Wentzel for instance still injured.

Pretty strong squad and happy to see the 3 youngsters Reinach, Zeilinga and Williams on the bench.

Not pulling any punches I see. Gonna be a big game. Sharks certainly ahead on paper but Province have the continuity and home advantage... can't wait any longer!!

I think both teams are equal.

Front row: Sharks definitely have the upper hand with 3 Springboks against Kitshoff, Ntubeni and Cilliers. 0-1

Second row: Definitely WP. Etzebeth alone tips the scale. 1-1

Back row: Fourie, Kolisi and Vermeulen against Coetzee, Alberts and Daniel. I think this is in favor of WP. 2-1

Half-combination: McLeod and Lambie have the upper hand here against Schreuder and Catrakilis. 2-2

Wingers: Van den Heever and Kolbe against Ndungane and Mvovo. Youth vs. Experience. Defensively, Sharks have the upper hand, offensively equal. 2-3

Centers: I feel this is equal. Ludik and Steyn against de Allende and de Villiers. 3-4

Full-back: Hands-down advantage WP with Aplon against SP Marais. Brings me to 4-4

LOL, Eze, surely you can't award 1 point for Aplon over Marais and in the same go 1 point for that Sharks front row's expected superiority!

Front row: Although Sharks have the big names WP have the grinders and have not stood back for any team after round 2 but the Sharks have the uppermand here in power experience and what they call the "BIS"
Second row: Etzebeth the upper hand but the work rate of PsdT makes up in other areas
Back row: WP more dynamic, Shark more hitting power
Half-combination: Lambie can be the difference here but the Kaapse Griek has BMT
Centers: Think WP is stronger here, by some distance but Steyn is always a factor
Back Three: WP has loads of game breakers here and Sharks have experience but don't think Kolbe and Appeltjie cares

Personal conclusion: WP will win with a bigger margin than last year

Front row: Although Sharks have the big names WP have the grinders and have not stood back for any team after round 2 but the Sharks have the uppermand here in power experience and what they call the "BIS"
Second row: Etzebeth the upper hand but the work rate of PsdT makes up in other areas
Back row: WP more dynamic, Shark more hitting power
Half-combination: Lambie can be the difference here but the Kaapse Griek has BMT
Centers: Think WP is stronger here, by some distance but Steyn is always a factor
Back Three: WP has loads of game breakers here and Sharks have experience but don't think Kolbe and Appeltjie cares

Personal conclusion: WP will win with a bigger margin than last year

+1

I like it. My view as well. It'll come down to who takes their chances though. Between JdV, Appels and Kolbe I'll back us to get at least one breakaway try and that might just be enough seeing as tussles between these two sides tend to end up very tight affairs with minimal scoring opportunities.

EDIT: will the Bok squad be announced after the game? Can't belive it's CC final and EoYT time again!! And then on to SR where I just hope both these sides can go better than last year where both underachieved IMO.

Last edited:
Well as a neutral, I'm just hoping for a great spectacle.

On Superbru, I picked the WP to win and in my heart I want the Sharks to win (but this is only because I'm a Bulls fan, and will not support the old enemy). Sorry Stormer and Gena, but that is just how I was brought up.

Oh, I will be watching this game at home, surrounded by 10 females. My Fiancee thought it would be an excellent time to get all her friends during that time to sort out some wedding arrangements and dress ideas and other **** I don't want to know about...

Wish me luck

Well as a neutral, I'm just hoping for a great spectacle.

On Superbru, I picked the WP to win and in my heart I want the Sharks to win (but this is only because I'm a Bulls fan, and will not support the old enemy). Sorry Stormer and Gena, but that is just how I was brought up.

Oh, I will be watching this game at home, surrounded by 10 females. My Fiancee thought it would be an excellent time to get all her friends during that time to sort out some wedding arrangements and dress ideas and other **** I don't want to know about...

Wish me luck

So you state you want WP to go down and then ask for good luck wishes?... well, good luck; I know how brides get.

Oppe andr nooot, de blorie Iere repu mekar its verskriklics. Gdink os kn mekar hir bietie uthelp? EK begnt s'mmer van boo af soolank. Let op meh gogelproef speling, mane!

Last edited:
My wife is a Shark but a sport and we enjoy competing off the field, so is my son, just my 5 year old daughter support anyone but the Lions as they suck according to her :)

"So as my span wen, sit sy tog bo!!!!"

If WP win this would be the first unbeaten run to a CC ***le for us since 1936.

Hey Feic!!!

Your Pumas convincingly beaten the Griquas last night in Nelspruit. Relegating the Griquas to the first division...

Unless the teams are increased to 8 teams...