• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 PNC team of the tournament

psychic duck

International
Found this article on team of the tournament. Can't agree with it all, no way is that lump Nemani Nadolo with his hilariously crappy offloads "the player of the tournament", and I'm wasn't convinced by the Canadian props were the best either. But good to see the tournament getting some opinionated coverage. A few here watched the games, any thoughts on it at all?

http://raysrugby.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/team-of-the-tournament-pnc/

My changes to the the team would be:

1. Yanuyanutawa - Fiji probably had the best scrum, ditching Deacon Manu seems to have improved it.
2. Biller - I don't see Horie as a "class apart" and have seen him play better. Biller created a try from a turnover vs Japan and the lineout is one of the USA's strongest parts of their play.
3. Yama****a - Japan scrum improved from the November tests, gets some credit for that.
8. Carpenter - Didn't finish great, but played a big role in the wins against the Pacific nations I thought.
13. Sa'u - Created tries as well as scored them. Try assist or try in every match. Nadolo wasn't that good, his wingers won't be pleased with his ball skills, in fact his farcical offload gifted Canada a try wiping his effort out. Also threw the ball out or on the floor a few times throughout the tournament.
15. Matawalu - Offload vs Japan was superb. There may be better players, but surely he would be a certainty for an "Excitement XV". Goromaru's wasn't that world class goal kicking either, he cost Japan the 1st Wales match. I know he got everything in the 2nd. But it would have been more useful to have missed say 1 or 2 in each match instead of missing them all in the 1st when Japan were on top. Pritchard ahead of Goromaru too, he hardly missed last month after an off form November. Also offered some nice support and attack in the Tonga game.

1 – Hubert Buydens (Canada) Has quietly gone about becoming a key man in the Canadian pack since establishing himself at the World Cup. Gets the job done in the scrum and gets through a surprising amount of work in the loose for a big man.
2 – Shota Horie (Japan) A class apart from all other challengers. His Super Rugby experience has sharpened his technical skills, and he acts like an extra loose forward around the park.
3 – Jason Marshall (Canada) Not the best scrummager, nor the best carrier at his position, but has a high work rate and performs well consistently. Like Buydens, central to his team's success up front.
4 – Emosi Kauhenga (Tonga) Underrated beast of a man who was called out of the international wilderness to provide a huge boost to the Ikale Tahi pack. Invariably gets over the gainline. He would have been well suited to a career in the Premiership had he not opted for the yen instead.
5 – Apisai Naikatini (Fiji) Equally at home on the blindside, he has become an indispensible member of the pack since moving to Japan. Strong in the lineout and surprising footballing skills for a big man.
6 – Tyler Ardron (Canada) Newly signed by Ospreys, the 22 year old has already cemented his name in the first XV. Honorable mention to Japan's dynamic Hendrik Tui, but Ardron was outstanding in all facets of play.
7 – Akapusi Qera (Fiji) Only Nili Latu can stand with him in terms of class. Quite simply a world class player whose bone-crunching tackles and barnstorming runs have earned him the captaincy for the foreseeable future.
8 – Takashi Kikutani (Japan) There is always competition at this crucial position, with names like Carpenter and Clever there or thereabouts, but the best Japanese back rower of the professional era just keep blasting away. The only question is whether he can last another two years.
9 – Fumiaki Tanaka (Japan) The whole country seems to lift when this little master plays. Suits his team's playing style to a tee and a joy to watch. Shades of Pierre Mignoni at his best about him.
10 – Harumichi Tatekawa (Japan) Probably best at no12, but a classy operator at either position. One of a new generation of Japanese midfielders combining strength and guile to go with absolute commitment. A more than worthy successor to Yukio Motoki.
11 – Sireli Bobo (Fiji) The old man was a surprise inclusion after availability issues necessitated his recall, and barely a minute into his international return he was on the board with a scintillating score. If you aren't already drinking Fiji water, you should be.
12 – Sione Piukala (Tonga) Missed his centre partner Siale Piutau after suspension, but stood up to be counted when his team needed go-forward. Not a world beater but hugely physical.
13 – Nemani Nadolo (Fiji) Male Sa'u impressed for Japan but this lump was the player of the tournament. A revelation at centre after failing to impress on the wing, the world will be on notice as he absolutely steamrolled over opposition with performances eerily reminiscent of another big fella of days gone by.
14 – Luke Hume (United States) By some distance the best of his countrymen on display, even bettering his highly regarded captain. A constant thorn in the side of defences and it's a complete mystery why he hasn't been signed to a pro contract yet.
15 – Ayumu Goromaru (Japan) Mr. Dependable has emerged as a world class goal kicker, his country's finest since Keiji Hirose. Steady as a rock at the back and part of the team's leadership group. Outshone similar candidates James Pritchard and Chris Wyles.

Last edited:
I don't hate Buydens at #1(could have gone either way) but I wouldn't have had Marshall at #3. Yamas h i t a(can we do something about the damn auto censor?) was probably the more solid player throughout the tourney. Team is a little Japan heavy considering they only won two games, and one of those barely over a jet lagged Canada side. Can't argue with their players ar 2,9 and 15 though(maybe Pritchard deserves a mention though he missed Canada's first two games due to the dumb schedule).

I agree with Little Guy, I'm ok with Buydens at #1.
Chris Biller was one of the few bright spots of the USA team, I'm even between him and Horie, Biller is phenomenal in lineout and is solid in loose too. Like psychic duck said, created a turnover that directly led to try vs. Japan. Horie probably gets nod in that guy's list because he is professional but I like Biller at 2.
Yamash ita was solid at #3, most outstanding to me, Marshall played well though too.
#6 is interesting, Hendrik Tui pulled a reverse 180 from his A5N form and was spectacular, made Broadhusrt look like a JV player. Ardron has that "wow" factor for me, he really just came up and was superb.
Kikutani at 8 is a great choice, been playing superbly all year and always seems to be in great position to finish and score tries. Clever was pretty mediocre in this tournament and captaining wasn't always the best (vs. Japan when ref says stop popping up on scrum or he'll penalize us, Clever geniously asks, what do we do? How about shut up, tell team to man up and f-ing scrum! Consistently!)
At 9, Tanaka secured his spot with a masterclass performance against the USA, really in my mind has moved himself possibly into discussions as one of the best scrummies in the world, but we still need to see more.
Nadolo was average to me, poor pick for an all-tournament team. He only looked decent in that monsoon vs. Japan. I agree with psychic duck, too wild with ball.
Wing, Luke Hume along with Adam Siddall for me were the most valuable players in the backline and most consistent. Hume was more dangerous, Siddall just making it on the test scene. Hume has got one of the meanest side steps in world rugby and can actually be quite physical. Siddall is looking like he should be in the backline somehow, whether 10, 12, or 13. Tolkin seems to have entrusted L'Estrange at 10 due to continued starts, much to my dismay. Should be at 13 until Emerick comes back, and when he does Siddall should slot at 12. But that's for another thread. Hume is a solid pick at 14. Don't know whether he has had any pro contracts offered, but I know he's with USA 7s and did have a pretty good job in NYC in addition to playing Old Blue and NY Knights rugby league squad.
I like Goromaru at 15. Made some nasty conversions, good ball runner and distributor, has been in fine form this season.

To me, when I see this team, Japan does have a lot of players in it. I think we should all take note at the fact that Japan played pretty well this PNC (after weak game vs. Tonga) can be attributed to fact that they play together for 4 weeks in A5N in addition to massive amounts of time in camp. It may be relatively weak competition, but that time bonding, understanding the patterns and tactics, creating combinations is just invaluable. I think the only reason Tonga kind of dominated early is that Japan were not used to that physicality and strength from the opposition. USA needs to get more test matches. Japan has 14 matches this season (pretty sure I heard it on Total Rugby, Eddie said it himself)! The only way is up for them! Canada did really well, Tonga were not class just average, Fiji came on strong at end, and USA were just flat out bad and inconsistent.

I agree with Little Guy, I'm ok with Buydens at #1.
Chris Biller was one of the few bright spots of the USA team, I'm even between him and Horie, Biller is phenomenal in lineout and is solid in loose too. Like psychic duck said, created a turnover that directly led to try vs. Japan. Horie probably gets nod in that guy's list because he is professional but I like Biller at 2.
Yamash ita was solid at #3, most outstanding to me, Marshall played well though too.
#6 is interesting, Hendrik Tui pulled a reverse 180 from his A5N form and was spectacular, made Broadhusrt look like a JV player. Ardron has that "wow" factor for me, he really just came up and was superb.
Kikutani at 8 is a great choice, been playing superbly all year and always seems to be in great position to finish and score tries. Clever was pretty mediocre in this tournament and captaining wasn't always the best (vs. Japan when ref says stop popping up on scrum or he'll penalize us, Clever geniously asks, what do we do? How about shut up, tell team to man up and f-ing scrum! Consistently!)
At 9, Tanaka secured his spot with a masterclass performance against the USA, really in my mind has moved himself possibly into discussions as one of the best scrummies in the world, but we still need to see more.
Nadolo was average to me, poor pick for an all-tournament team. He only looked decent in that monsoon vs. Japan. I agree with psychic duck, too wild with ball.
Wing, Luke Hume along with Adam Siddall for me were the most valuable players in the backline and most consistent. Hume was more dangerous, Siddall just making it on the test scene. Hume has got one of the meanest side steps in world rugby and can actually be quite physical. Siddall is looking like he should be in the backline somehow, whether 10, 12, or 13. Tolkin seems to have entrusted L'Estrange at 10 due to continued starts, much to my dismay. Should be at 13 until Emerick comes back, and when he does Siddall should slot at 12. But that's for another thread. Hume is a solid pick at 14. Don't know whether he has had any pro contracts offered, but I know he's with USA 7s and did have a pretty good job in NYC in addition to playing Old Blue and NY Knights rugby league squad.
I like Goromaru at 15. Made some nasty conversions, good ball runner and distributor, has been in fine form this season.

To me, when I see this team, Japan does have a lot of players in it. I think we should all take note at the fact that Japan played pretty well this PNC (after weak game vs. Tonga) can be attributed to fact that they play together for 4 weeks in A5N in addition to massive amounts of time in camp. It may be relatively weak competition, but that time bonding, understanding the patterns and tactics, creating combinations is just invaluable. I think the only reason Tonga kind of dominated early is that Japan were not used to that physicality and strength from the opposition. USA needs to get more test matches. Japan has 14 matches this season (pretty sure I heard it on Total Rugby, Eddie said it himself)! The only way is up for them! Canada did really well, Tonga were not class just average, Fiji came on strong at end, and USA were just flat out bad and inconsistent.

Not sure Japan played that well. Only played 1 half of the Tonga game. But in the rain they really seem to struggle, the anti-Scotland in a way, that Fiji game was forgettable for them, and considering the circumstances Canada came into their fixture with them you would have thought they would have been more comfortable.

Regarding Hume, there was rumour a while ago that Newcastle and a couple others were interested.

Nadolo was player of the tournament for me, only other person I could think of for that is Qera or Naikatini but maybe I'm biased there lol. Nadolo only had a couple bad offloads in the Canada game. Other than that he was a beast, he was top try scorer in the PNC and a solid defender too. He's looking like Fiji's version of Alesana Tuilagi and he's actually bigger than Tuilagi. I like him at center, I hope they keep playing him there

But I agree Yanuyanutawa should have been in the front row since Fiji had the best scrum and Goromaru shouldn't be at fullback. He had some bad games. But I can see why they wouldn't put Matawalu there since he only played fullback half the time, he was mostly half back or on the bench

Last edited:
Nadolo was player of the tournament for me, only other person I could think of for that is Qera or Naikatini but maybe I'm biased there lol. Nadolo only had a couple bad offloads in the Canada game. Other than that he was a beast, he was top try scorer in the PNC and a solid defender too. He's looking like Fiji's version of Alesana Tuilagi and he's actually bigger than Tuilagi. I like him at center, I hope they keep playing him there

But I agree Yanuyanutawa should have been in the front row since Fiji had the best scrum and Goromaru shouldn't be at fullback. He had some bad games. But I can see why they wouldn't put Matawalu there since he only played fullback half the time, he was mostly half back or on the bench

Nadolo was not even the best 13 in the tournament never mind player of the tournament. Sa'u scored or made a try assist in every game, and was the only Japan player to look at all threatening in that Fiji match, and his run ended up being the match winner in a tough Canada match. When the Japan backline turns pretty ineffective in the rain he was the exception. And wasn't costing possession and throwing the ball into touch all the time like Nadolo (which he was continuing to do in the Tonga match I saw as well).

I really wouldn't play Nadolo at centre when there is a player as good as Goneva to come back in. He really limits the quality and amount of ball the wingers get, and I think against defences better than Japan (traditionally one of the worst defensive teams) he would be a liability and ineffective. He reminds me of Banahan not Tuilagi.

In my opinion, fully available the Fiji backline I would go for would be:

9. Matawalu
10. Bai, arguably Fiji's MVP given the reserves in this position are pretty awful
11. Nalaga
12. Lovobalavu if back on form, if not then Radidi or Matavesi could do a job
13. Goneva
14. Nayacalevu
15. Talebula

Some serious talent to threaten top teams there.

Latest posts