• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Argentina vs. New Zealand in La Plata (28/09/2013)

well yeah but you're conveniently picking the one team that's sliding like it's Water Splash Park on the IRB board.
The Boks still are a team that had cold sweat at home against Scotland some time ago despite a huuuuge scrum advantage, and easily could have lost a second straight time in....Argentina, the very team in question currently, the very team that just took 4 tries to none at home.

I'll give credit to SA any time, and they're clearly, clearly the 2nd best right now. No problem here. But the AB's, and through that notion I extended that you bolded in my comment, are a class above everybody else. Don't put the Boks there because it's just false assessment. The Boks will struggle when they come to Europe while NZ will likely put a bunch of tries on everybody.... :(

well yeah but you're conveniently picking the one team that's sliding like it's Water Splash Park on the IRB board.
The Boks still are a team that had cold sweat at home against Scotland some time ago despite a huuuuge scrum advantage, and easily could have lost a second straight time in....Argentina, the very team in question currently, the very team that just took 4 tries to none at home.

I'll give credit to SA any time, and they're clearly, clearly the 2nd best right now. No problem here. But the AB's, and through that notion I extended that you bolded in my comment, are a class above everybody else. Don't put the Boks there because it's just false assessment. The Boks will struggle when they come to Europe while NZ will likely put a bunch of tries on everybody.... :(

That team on the slide that we beat so conveniently did beat Argentina so...

Did you watch that Sa vs Scotland game? They were allowed to get away with raping the elderly (which I consider worse than murder) at the breakdown by... someone, a mr Poite.

We have not lost in Argentina a first time so there can be no 2nd although both where tight, yeah, the first especially :p

As for the Bokke well they bettered the description you had in bold; away against a tier 1 nation, 4 tries to 0 and where they bettered; not double but triple the points of the opposition. Why will we struggle so much in Europe when looking at last year it was NZ that lost a game while we went through unbent and that was with a new coach and very unsettled squad. As for tries scored I think if you look at the stats you'll see we are right up there. Sure we lack a certain something but that gap is closing is all I am getting at.

While I'm saying this allow me to mention how absurdly awesome the French rugby team is. They might not have had the result but, boy! Just wow! The potential!!

Last edited:

Did you watch that Sa vs Scotland game? They were allowed to get away with raping the elderly (which I consider worse than murder) at the breakdown by... someone, a mr Poite.

We have not lost in Argentina a first time so there can be no 2nd although both where tight, yeah, the first especially :p

As for the Bokke well they bettered the description you had in bold; away against a tier 1 nation, 4 tries to 0 and where they bettered; not double but triple the points of the opposition. Why will we struggle so much in Europe when looking at last year it was NZ that lost a game while we went through unbent and that was with a new coach and very unsettled squad. As for tries scored I think if you look at the stats you'll see we are right up there. Sure we lack a certain something but that gap is closing is all I am getting at.

While I'm saying this allow me to mention how absurdly awesome the French rugby team is. They might not have had the result but, boy! Just wow! The potential!!

Just on that point - wait for the rematch. We all think the SA AB game this week will be a classic - wait for the rematch v England. The ABs want revenge for that one. We were tired, complacent and England played fantastically and embarrassed the heck out of our guys. That game will be the one all the ABs have penciled into their calendar to get some redemption ;)

Big Ewis

You are very right, we need to be much better in general to beat The Great All Blacks...but, we enjoy the exhibition of this team, this is wonderful to have them in my country….

Last edited:
This photo was taken at halftime of the match.
130930070927200900.png

Argentina have shown they can defend well at times and they can definitely compete at set piece.

Where they need work is fitness overall - the ability to last the full 80 and beyond.

But most importantly devalop more of a threat on attack.

I think they have done really well to stay with the All Blacks for long periods but until they can really start to threaten on attack they wont pick up wins.

The thing is we keep making silly mistakes and bad decisions that have nothing to do with the level of our opponents. I am talking about those box kicks by Landajo (totally unnecesary and pointless) and the tons of handling errors we committed.

Absolutely. We improved and raised some facets of the game, like the scrum and conceding less few penalties, but those silly mistakes and bad decisions you mentioned are costing us the games.

Offensive game you said? We almost didn't attack them. We rarely went near their ingoal. I remember only one specific moment, the score was 26-12 for the All Blacks around the 60 min of game and we have a penalty in a our favour near their ingoal (someone took down Agulla without the ball) and we kick to the sticks instead of choosing the scrum and try to score. I know that add points it's always important against this kinds of sides, but seriously sometimes we should consider attack them. If we're going to do the same thing against Australia next week we're ****ed up, simply as that. We can't expect to win a game by only forcing penalties with our scrum, not against these teams. We need to play more with our backs.

We tried to use more the backs but we didnt succeed on it, which is a different story.

I honestly don't know if we could beat most of the tier 1 teams playing like this. The end of year tour would be nice to see where are we standing right now.
Strongly disagree on this one. The foward did a perfect game for big part of the game, dominating the srcums and getting their owns lines (unlike previous games). But the AB killed the game with 5 minutes of brillance that most teams are not capable of. And in Savea´s try we were very unlucky.
Besides, dont forget that the AB, and probably SA as well, are a few steps above everybody, and still both of them had it very difficult in Argentina.

The real problem with Argentina will be consistency. With 90% of the players being contracted to European teams, Phelan is forced to call up lesser players to play the Tour games in June and November. That way, it's hard to build a team to compete with the big 3.

We have to remember that we will never win a game defending. We have to attack
Not in those wet conditions. Every time Argentina tried to use their backs they made little ground and got turned over. They would have been better kicking it.

There's definitely a case for improving their attack but they need to pick the right gameplan for the right opposition and conditions.

The real problem with Argentina will be consistency. With 90% of the players being contracted to European teams, Phelan is forced to call up lesser players to play the Tour games in June and November. That way, it's hard to build a team to compete with the big 3.

June yes, November no.

Last edited:

And that's why we need a Super Rugby franchise so bad.

that last sentence is a personal attack, while you may call it a joke as a reply it is an attack. There is excitement there, virulence...all the ingredients.
The thread is ARG NZ, and our current subject is SA and whether they are on the same level as NZ. Minus 1 for you on this, tis rather cheap, friend !
I will not answer your individual points because the greater point, that NZ is in a league of its own - that clearly excludes SA - is obvious enough for me that I am not curious what ppl may have to say about that. And if SA manages to beat NZ next week, congrats - but do not, you or any Bok enthusiast - please do not jump at my throat bragging about anything - England, the latest beat NZ heftily but certainly arent on the same level as NZ generally. There is just so little - well such nothing really - to debate here.

Only points I will defend (because they remain unclear) - SA barely winning in England with the luckiest try in Bok history, barely making it over Scotland and a decimated Ireland...not quite the Tour I would bring up as a Bok fan.
While of course NZ were putting tries on everybody aplenty - before losing in this very peculiar performance of theirs in Twickers, yes.
And then SA struggling in Europe in a month - I see them having potential difficulty in Cardiff and Paris, as a normal thing. The Rugby community would be impressed with big victories on all 3 sides for SA (incl. Sco). While NZ putting 4 tries or more on us all each would be rather typical, even away.

But feel free to back the Boks. No problem. But do not say things that are false, like they belong in a league with the Blacks.
And about that French potential - if France finally just click_ just *click*_ they are probably beating the Boks at home. The potential you are sarcastically leaning on may very well turn against you friend ;)

Last edited:
Just on that point - wait for the rematch. We all think the SA AB game this week will be a classic - wait for the rematch v England. The ABs want revenge for that one. We were tired, complacent and England played fantastically and embarrassed the heck out of our guys. That game will be the one all the ABs have penciled into their calendar to get some redemption ;)

I can believe that. Hopefully (for us) next year you'll be out for redemption a little closer to my home.

that last sentence is a personal attack, while you may call it a joke as a reply it is an attack. There is excitement there, virulence...all the ingredients.
The thread is ARG NZ, and our current subject is SA and whether they are on the same level as NZ. Minus 1 for you on this, tis rather cheap, friend !
I will not answer your individual points because the greater point, that NZ is in a league of its own - that clearly excludes SA - is obvious enough for me that I am not curious what ppl may have to say about that. And if SA manages to beat NZ next week, congrats - but do not, you or any Bok enthusiast - please do not jump at my throat bragging about anything - England, the latest beat NZ heftily but certainly arent on the same level as NZ generally. There is just so little - well such nothing really - to debate here.

Only points I will defend (because they remain unclear) - SA barely winning in England with the luckiest try in Bok history, barely making it over Scotland and a decimated Ireland...not quite the Tour I would bring up as a Bok fan.
While of course NZ were putting tries on everybody aplenty - before losing in this very peculiar performance of theirs in Twickers, yes.
And then SA struggling in Europe in a month - I see them having potential difficulty in Cardiff and Paris, as a normal thing. The Rugby community would be impressed with big victories on all 3 sides for SA (incl. Sco). While NZ putting 4 tries or more on us all each would be rather typical, even away.

But feel free to back the Boks. No problem. But do not say things that are false, like they belong in a league with the Blacks.
And about that French potential - if France finally just click_ just *click*_ they are probably beating the Boks at home. The potential you are sarcastically leaning on may very well turn against you friend ;)

Wow, guy. I think you mistook my tone (or I can just simply not convey it accurately enough in English) and a tad in both regards; my reference to France at the end and my points Re the Boks. In an attempt to clarify;

- yes, my tone RE France was sarcastic (or not meant sarcastic but over the top) but not because I don't mean what I said but rather to jokingly emphasize my newfound 'verve' for the team.

- Clearly we have no right to say we aare ahead or even alongside the AB's as yet; IF the results do come they'll of course have to be over a sustained period of time depending on the perception of each individual person. My original post was just to put up a hand and say; "uh-hem, that describes other achievements this year in test rugby as well by my beloved Bokke." Nothing more was implied than the facts stated.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I can believe that. Hopefully (for us) next year you'll be out for redemption a little closer to my home.

Wow, guy. I think you mistook my tone (or I can just simply not convey it accurately enough in English) and a tad in both regards; my reference to France at the end and my points Re the Boks. In an attempt to clarify;

- yes, my tone RE France was sarcastic (or not meant sarcastic but over the top) but not because I don't mean what I said but rather to jokingly emphasize my newfound 'verve' for the team.

- Clearly we have no right to say we aare ahead or even alongside the AB's as yet; IF the results do come they'll of course have to be over a sustained period of time depending on the perception of each individual person. My original post was just to put up a hand and say; "uh-hem, that describes other achievements this year in test rugby as well by my beloved Bokke." Nothing more was implied than the facts stated.
Fair enough, end of discussion about the best side in the world then.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
:p merely addressing smt problematic in someone's comment that needed to be pointed out, nothing to do with feelings.

and...BUMP

We had an influx of Argies back then, I remember now...where did all those Argies go ?!!! Why the Hell do users do this, come online to debate for 2 weeks then leave ?...

and...BUMP

We had an influx of Argies back then, I remember now...where did all those Argies go ?!!! Why the Hell do users do this, come online to debate for 2 weeks then leave ?...

Well, you must admit that I'm the only true rugby supporter from South America, here. :D I'm here throughout ALL the year, talking about 6 Nations, Super Rugby, Heineken Cup, Premiership, Top 14 and so on :rock:

Well, you must admit that I'm the only true rugby supporter from South America, here. :D I'm here throughout ALL the year, talking about 6 Nations, Super Rugby, Heineken Cup, Premiership, Top 14 and so on :rock:

ummmm....dude, I'm sorry to break it to ya, but that makes us ultimate losers. I've more than 7000 posts meaning I have no life whatsoever, and you not only have 2000 but you're actually flaunting it around on that signature with fu king smilies dude................Smilies.

ummmm....dude, i'm sorry to break it to ya, but that makes us ultimate losers. I've more than 7000 posts meaning i have no life whatsoever, and you not only have 2000 but you're actually flaunting it around on that signature with fu king smilies dude................smilies.

:d:d:d

Latest posts