• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 African Cup (RWCQ) - June 28 to July 6

That's entirely possible with the new olympic qualification rules.
Really?
I know that 7s is going to have the olympic qualification, has XVs been confirmed?
Either way, I can't see the IRB ever allowing players to switch allegiance after gettings caps, and they shouldn't - it'd make a mockery of everything,

"there is a real threat of no Great Britain team being in Rio"
:lol: What are they smoking? I know some of the other sides in Europe are all right these days, but we're easily the top Euro 7s side, second is probably Wales....who would also get the GB 7s spot.

Still think the nationality switching is utter horse sh*t, though.

I know who Ben Ryan is, but he's clearly just pandering to the article. There's no way in hell GB aren't making rio.

"there is a real threat of no Great Britain team being in Rio"
:lol: What are they smoking? I know some of the other sides in Europe are all right these days, but we're easily the top Euro 7s side, second is probably Wales....who would also get the GB 7s spot.

Still think the nationality switching is utter horse sh*t, though.

Apparently not according to that article. Nothing's been announced, but from what he was saying, England are likely to be the only one nominated as GB's qualification team, Might be an IOC rule where a nation can't have more than one chance at qualification?

You've also quoted him out of context - and I agree with what he actually said.

If we don't finish in the top four then I will be very nervous about our qualification chances - because it will likely mean the team isn't performing, and they have to win a one off tournament.

Btw... TRP are saying that Steffon Armitage is trying to use the loophole to play for France. I haven't seen the article myself, so I don't know whether they're just making it up based on the new eligibility laws or whether he actually does.
If he does then it really puts to bed the ******** about him really wanting to play for England.

Last edited:
No love for the Sables on this thread, but thats ok, actually think the boys enjoy being underdogs...

No love for the Sables on this thread, but thats ok, actually think the boys enjoy being underdogs...

On the contrary - I'm supporting Zim!

Namibia up 10-7 after a penalty try.

Zimbabwe have an edge in open play and the breakdown - but Namibia's maul is killing them.

Last edited:
17 - 10 to Zim.

A bit like Fiji normally do - they look great in attack but they are let down a little by their set-piece.

Last edited:
Wow, the World Cup might look a little bit different this time around, compared to 2007 and 2011. Expecting Uruguay to take the repechage spot and it's looking like Namibia won't make it...kinda sucks that we won't see Jacques Burger playing for his country in England, but it's always good to see new faces on the world stage. I remember Portugal got a lot of support when they played in '07. From some of the news clips I saw of the team arriving home after the tournament, it looked like the country really embraced them.

Zimbabwe up 20 - 10 early in the second half.

Zimbabwe would be a genuinely strong team if it weren't for the political troubles.

24-20 to Namibia.

Ten minutes to go - Namibia have a man in the bin.

Namibia won 24 -20.

Kenya are winning comfortably against Madagascar 27-0.

Spicy game, with a pretty awesome atmosphere - both teams have a man in the bin.

I think Madagascar could put together an awesome 7s team.

So it looks like Kenya will go through. Not unhappy about that. If an African side has to get clobbered at the World Cup I'd rather it be one I haven't seen before.

Would it be fair to say that there's more growth potential in Kenyian rugby than Namibian?

Judging by the makeup of the Namibian team - it doesn't seem to have caught on outside of the white population... as opposed to Kenya - which is all black, and Zimbabwe - which has a white minority.

I'm surprised that there aren't any white guys in the Kenyan team tbh - I was under the impression that rugby was mainly played in white boarding schools, clearly I was mistaken.

Kenya win 34-0.

That game got really dirty in the second half - could see exactly what was happening, but there were some pretty grubby acts, a Madagascan was red carded.

Last edited:
Namibia have been trying to break the game into rural black areas with some limited success, but it will be a while till those efforts begin to bear fruit(if at all) and their population is only a couple of million even if the country were fully behind rugby.

Wild scenario's heading into the last round, Namibia can mathematically finish 1st or dead last it's so crazy. The only thing for certain is Madagascar are eliminated from RWC contention. I'll try to summarize more of the scenarios at lunch when I get some more time but standings are.

Kenya - 10 points. + 41 diff.
Zimbabwe - 6 points. + 31 diff.
Namibia - 5 points. - 3 diff.
Madagascar - 0 points. - 69 diff.

So Kenya will definitely qualify if they beat Zimbabwe / pick up a losing bonus without Zimbabwe getting a try bonus / pick up both a losing and a try bonus / Zimbabwe winning by less then 10 without a try bonus and Namibia not overcoming their points difference.

Zimbabwe need to win and deny Kenya any bonus points and either score 4 or more tries, or win by more than 10 points.

Namibia need to win with 4 tries or more, hope that Zimbabwe beat Kenya without either team getting bonus points, then hope that their points difference beats Zimbabwe's.

Definitely interesting going into the last round! I'd say Kenya are in the drivers seat at the moment, and I hope they do as they have never qualified for the RWC, so would be great seeing a new team there. Wouldn't mind Zimbabwe qualifying too, as they haven't been in it since the inaugural tournament too.

Yeah I think that covers it Thingimubob(I was thinking about it this morning and margins and BP's create all sorts of havoc), there are also some pretty crazy scenarios for who takes that very valuable 2nd spot as well.

Repechage should be very interesting this time around, and the Africa #2 side wouldn't be totally out of the running for sliding into the playoff winner RWC position. It won't be easy but it's not like Uruguay, Russia and Hong Kong are light years ahead of Namibia, Kenya and Zimbabwe's level.

Yeah I think that covers it Thingimubob(I was thinking about it this morning and margins and BP's create all sorts of havoc), there are also some pretty crazy scenarios for who takes that very valuable 2nd spot as well.

Not completely. A draw will be enough for Kenya as well :cool:

Latest posts