Club or Nation
South Africa
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Western%20Province.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Golden%20Lions.png

25 October 2014, 17:00 CAT

Teams

Western Province: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Juan de Jongh (captain), 12 Jaco Taute, 11 Seabelo Senatla, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Jean Kleyn, 3 Pat Cilliers, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Alistair Vermaak

Substitutes: 16 Neil Rautenbach, 17 Brok Harris, 19 Gerbrandt Grobler, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 20 Louis Schreuder, 21 Kurt Coleman, 22 Michael van der Spuy

Golden Lions: 15 Jaco van der Walt, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Marnitz Boshoff, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Martin Muller, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16 Armand van der Merwe, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Willie Britz, 20 Warwick Tecklenburg, 21 Mark Richards, 22 Harold Vorster

Last edited:
Lets take the time to appreciate and reflect on this great CC season in the form of a CC XV why don't we. I shall go first.

1 Schalk van der Merwe (tough to leave out TdT but I feel the fat man edges it)
2 Armand van der Merwe (even if off the bench or probably because of it, I've been impressed enough to leave out my Bok 3rd pick in Ntubeni)
3 Ruan Dreyer
4 Paul Willemse
6 Jaco Kriel
7 Jacques du Plessis
8 Nizaam Carr
9 Ross Cronje
10 I can't decide between the two Lions 10s
11 Seabelo Senatla
12 Burger Odendaal
13 Juan de Jongh (c)
14 Ruan Combrink (I very nearly had Kobus van Wyk and feel he would not look out of place)
15 Cheslin Kolbe (okay, I'll admit here my WP bias might be showing)

I'll have to think a bit about my picks for lock and the halves.. and EDIT later on.

Anyway, gonna be a tough gae. Lions are arguably in better shape ATM but at home I'll pick us by 3.

I went on line this morning and couldn't find 3 seats near each other (I'm not standing or sitting in the Pickard stand) so I guess it's TV for me.

Last edited:
completely missed most of the game splayed in september and early october. Good to see the Lions there. Althou WP jouw Lekker ding will win it :)

Golden Lions:

15 Jaco van der Walt, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Howard Mnisi, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Marnitz Boshoff, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Martin Muller, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16 Armand van der Merwe, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Willie Britz, 20 Warwick Tecklenburg, 21 Mark Richards, 22 Harold Vorster

ek kan nie myself in hou meer nie, die gaan 'n yster finaal wees!

tight spel die een, ek vermoed die een gaan gewen word in die skrums!
altwee spanne verdien om daar te wees, maar my hart is Leeu en sal altyd wees!
Leeus by 10

Okay both teams have been announced and are on the OP.

Gonna be as tight as Stormer2.... ..... ..... .....

If the final is decided by who dominates at the front I reckon it will be the Lions, they don't have huge forwards but they are uncompromising and mobile.

Go Lions

If the final is decided by who dominates at the front I reckon it will be the Lions, they don't have huge forwards but they are uncompromising and mobile.

Go Lions

i do have to agree with you on this one Bull, Lions have been impressive thus far in the front and i dont see it changing anytime soon... Glad to see Jaco Kriel in the team and fit, that man is a beast with some space....

saw this on News24 earlier, seems the public also want the Lions to win:

Capture.JPG

Both teams full strength (Lions having the benefit of not having any Bokke) so should be a cracker. Lions in the best form but WP at home. I give us the benefit ITO individual quality but the Lions have the better team dynamic and, importantly?, tight 5. It really is good that there aren't any injury concerns at this (final) stage. Really, our SR teams need to pick up on the fact that it's the teams playing the most positive rugby IE not making 200 tackles a game that have most of if not all their players avaiable during the year so have the best continuity and availability of their best at the business end. Lesson finally learnt?

Both teams full strength (Lions having the benefit of not having any Bokke) so should be a cracker. Lions in the best form but WP at home. I give us the benefit ITO individual quality but the Lions have the better team dynamic and, importantly?, tight 5. It really is good that there aren't any injury concerns at this (final) stage. Really, our SR teams need to pick up on the fact that it's the teams playing the most positive rugby IE not making 200 tackles a game that have most of if not all their players avaiable during the year so have the best continuity and availability of their best at the business end. Lesson finally learnt?

agree with you... humdinger in store for Saturday!

I'm edging towards the Lions for this one.

With Craig Joubert as the ref, and not Pro Legoete, I expect a torrid time for the Capies at scrumtime.

Lions to win this by 9!

Interesting article below. Apparently 29 of the players in the final came through the Varsity Cup. What a brilliant vehicle for developing and deliviring talent to our senior sides!! The missing link between our great schools and the unions and it is fully sustainable by itself without the need for the unions to actually have academies though if they can manage keep those as well.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/CurrieCup/Varsity-Cup-births-29-finalists-20141023

The Lions beating WP... Not happening at newlands... I predict WP will have an easy one

The Lions beating WP... Not happening at newlands... I predict WP will have an easy one

You a WP supporter, Kroc? I am quietly confident myself. It's a nice fairy tale; the Lions having such a good season after not even playing SR last year but the rest of SA will get a bit of a reality check on Saturday.

Stormer2010... I am boss... cannot wait for the game.. pitty I am to far away to actually go to the stadium. .. but I am sure you will represent?

You a WP supporter, Kroc? I am quietly confident myself. It's a nice fairy tale; the Lions having such a good season after not even playing SR last year but the rest of SA will get a bit of a reality check on Saturday.

My honest opinion it doesnt matter if you played SR or not, the team who wants it more will win on Saturday.. I am a Lion supporter, and my gut feel says they will lift the cup..
both teams actually had a dreadfull SR season this year (lions had their best season in years, but still not up there)...

Latest posts