• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England v Samoa

Just because England have been poor at 12 over the past few year doesn't mean we should accept poorish performances . Although Farrell at 12 MAY be better with tuilagi or burrell at 13.

Oh, don't disagree, just making a point about the futility of stats.

Farrell didn't look awful there but there was little in the way of rugby to really see if it's a valid option or not....

As I've said repeatedly I'm more concerned about how or forward are playing through the phases. How they are setting up of the 9/10. How deep they are sitting and how spread out they are.

It's just not giving us any continuity of use.

Don't think we need a new coaching team, just think we need to give mike catt more input into the game plan.

I was at the pub watching the game. Even my mate who isn't that knowledgeable on rugby kept mentioning how everyone was standing still when they got the ball. Haskell didn't make the impact I had hoped but he should still play v Australia.
Good Points
-We won the game. Always a good point.
-The wingers got quite alot of ball and May has proved me wrong honestly. He now runs directly and if he had been on the pitch when Yarde ****ed up he would have had 3 tries that game. Watson looked better but he didn't show me that he has an X factor at the moment, Roko should play IMO.
-Ford looked really good and we had a bit of drive in attack.
-People will probably disagree but I think Barritt has played well. He passes the ball and still makes a alot of tackles.

Bad Points
-We missed a lot of tackles (not forced inside actually missed) including Ford getting thrown away by the scrum half.
-The yellow for Leota was an awful decision
-The bench was poor honestly, Wood was always going to be a poor guy to bring on as he isnt an impact player. Yarde was just ****.
-Farrell didn't work at 12, he didn't add anything to the game defence or attack wise
-We learnt nothing from the game

Can't see what Slade does that makes him better than Cipriani tbh he may be slightly better in defence but a long way back in attack imo . Anyway that's not really the issue . Cipriani is not in the squad and I thought ford played really well yesterday . Our biggest battle will be getting ford a shot against top tier opposition with some of our better centres in . Don't forget we had Eastmond, Tuilagi, Burrell all injured and 36 only just back and not in great form
Was suggesting Slade as a centre (it's his current position at Exe).

We learnt that Morgan > Vunipola :p and how much we've needed Ford at 10.

I thought Morgan's carrying was great.

Also that Youngs is still a **** starting 9.

Last edited:
I was at the pub watching the game. Even my mate who isn't that knowledgeable on rugby kept mentioning how everyone was standing still when they got the ball. Haskell didn't make the impact I had hoped but he should still play v Australia.

Been saying this since the first game, why are we standing still when we take the ball? It's juts letting the tackle line get up, and we are basically rucking backwards.

Got to say yesterday was the first time i've really seen Lancaster looking flustered and frustrated at his players.

Good Points
-We won the game. Always a good point.
-The wingers got quite alot of ball and May has proved me wrong honestly. He now runs directly and if he had been on the pitch when Yarde ****ed up he would have had 3 tries that game. Watson looked better but he didn't show me that he has an X factor at the moment, Roko should play IMO.
-Ford looked really good and we had a bit of drive in attack.
-People will probably disagree but I think Barritt has played well. He passes the ball and still makes a alot of tackles.

I think for a 12 at 13 he's done ok, i think 13 could be his better position long term if he can get get game time in the premiership there.

Bad Points
-We missed a lot of tackles (not forced inside actually missed) including Ford getting thrown away by the scrum half.
-The yellow for Leota was an awful decision
-The bench was poor honestly, Wood was always going to be a poor guy to bring on as he isnt an impact player. Yarde was just ****.
-Farrell didn't work at 12, he didn't add anything to the game defence or attack wise

Don't think the backs had any really decent ball to know what worked and didn't work, i agree Faz didn't set the world on fire but that little masked pass to ford on the wrap tells you everything you need to know about could he transition to 12 or not imho, it was a lovely pass.

I would like to see eastmond and joseph get a run out next week! Wont happen though with Barritt be the flavour of the month.

I thought wigglesworth played well when he came on, compared to youngs anyway.

Don't think the backs had any really decent ball to know what worked and didn't work, i agree Faz didn't set the world on fire but that little masked pass to ford on the wrap tells you everything you need to know about could he transition to 12 or not imho, it was a lovely pass.
Done spontaneously, it would have been impressive. But it was part of a training ground move, and an amateur could have pulled it off.

Done spontaneously, it would have been impressive. But it was part of a training ground move, and an amateur could have pulled it off.

it's easy to dismiss those kind of things but there is a hell of a lot to be said for execution of simple skills under pressure.

If you've got Sky you can watch the whole thing back on Skygo.

If only!!!

BBC Iplayer shows their matches in full but Sky only do highlights and for this match there are only 6 minutes............not sure how they filled the time in!!

Oh, I assumed they showed the full thing.

Doubtless it will be up on YT at some point.

Watch the 50 minute highlights of the match on BBC Iplayer.

Andy Robinson's commentary is putting me to sleep.

Our handling/decision making/execution is nothing short of embarrassing.

Edit:
Wow, Yarde was terrible.
How the hell he managed to screw up that run after the 15man lineout...it was harder to not score that, than score it.

Last edited:
So I've watched the highlights as well as the whole frist half and I now have a different question:
Does anyone know how to recover time lost in pointless and boring activities?

SOme thoughts:
* Have never rated Yarde much and the last few games involving him have confirmed my feelings.
* DOn't believe Webber showered himself in glory
* Ford looked nervy but ultimately showed what he offers
* Farrell looked disinterested
* Watson looked lively and I think he's clearly got what it takes at this level
* Haskell gave penalties but offered something in the contact
* Barritt is a very good player but I'd much rather have Joseph

I've noticed that Farrell and barritts basics are so so poor. In every game their basic passing and positioning is sub standard.

Can't wait to get some decent centres with ford. We might actually start looking like a top team after that.

Farrell, barritt, vuinipolo, yarde all need to go away and work on their basic skills of their positions.

Latest posts